• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are certainly not pushers.  This is tough. Y'all have reaped every low hanging plum from that puntree...

Got a fellow mad at you Thomas? Sounds like he came prepackaged.  The noive. Tried to throw them so NO ONE could have them.  I wood like to move in next door to him!

There is an interesting legal question here.  Who, exactly, owned the iron tires at the time of the interaction between Thomas and Mr. X.

1)  One one hand you could say that Mr. X had started the process to sell the tires to the scrap yard by weighing in.  He would have then been paid when weighing out.  However, he could have decided to keep the tires and leave them in his truck and what he was paid by weight would not reflect the sale of the tires.  So, in this argument, he still retained ownership until he was paid out and could have legally sold them to Thomas instead of the scrap yard.

2)  However, you could also argue that the scrap yard was the owner once he weighed in because it was his obvious intent to sell them.

3) The fact that he tried to throw them far into the pile indicates that he intended to dispose of them which argues that he did not intend to cancel the sale to the scrap yard.

4)  If Thomas had paid him and then he weighed out and was also paid by the scrap yard he would have committed theft and fraud because he had sold the same item to two different people.

I think the best analysis is that the scrap yard owned them, Thomas bought them from the scrap yard, and Mr. X was paid by the scrap yard for them.  What happened was legally correct even though Mr. X was probably trying to double dip.

I have to admit that I have thought that Thomas has a junk fixation and acquires more than he will be able to use or pass on in his life.  However, I have realized that I do much the same thing.  I take our trash to the county land fill every few weeks.  There is supposed to be no scavenging but there is never anyone around and I usually bring back something usable that someone else has thrown out.  I just yesterday brought back a home oxygen concentrator machine that had been tossed out.  I figure I will be able to salvage the small compressor out of it.  I also recently scored an 8" Delta grinder the same way.  Anything I salvage that we can't use becomes a donation to the thrift store.  There are enough folk who have so little that it seems a sin to me to just throw out something which is still usable.

The land fill has a dumpster for metal scrap.  I am afraid to look in it because I am afraid that some day someone will have dumped one or more anvils/forges/blowers/etc. and I will either kill or injure myself trying to get it/them out of the dumpster or will go to jail for trying to bribe the land fill employees to let me scavenge them.  Or some variation of both outcomes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

AS I saw it: they were part of a load of Junk he was scrapping.  He had already dumped several that I had picked up to go on my buy pile.  I explained to him that I was willing to buy the rest of them as scrap; but not at antique prices. (I expect to turn them over to another smith I know at the same price I paid for them.)  He was welcome to keep them for himself and haul them out just as he had hauled them in---I also turned down an offer to sell me 6 more of them still at his house for US$100.  Throwing them into the pile was just sour grapes in my opinion.   My scrap pile isn't very large or deep as I do try to use or pass stuff on as it comes in.  I do have some future project items as I keep expecting the scrap yard to close at anytime and my cornucopia to empty...

Actually those plows were worth a heck of a lot more and would turn over *FAST* on CL at a decent price!

Knowing Thomas he probably built huge ones.  This is my first year doing raised beds and it's not the same as plowing up 3 acres, disking, tilling then raking it flat for planting seedlings we grew under lights.  I'm looking into fruit trees but they would probabably attract yellow jackets and that would be the end of me.

I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I’d given my welding gas supplier a bottle opener made from an old wrench. Today, I went to buy another 125 cu. ft cylinder of O2, and he asked me, “Hey, did I quote you the commercial price on that?” He then sold it to me basically at cost. 

Be good to your suppliers, people!

Getting something in return is nice.   Sometimes it feels good just to see someones reaction when you give them something out of nowhere.  I got a specialized tranny tool from the transmission shop that looks like a scorpion.  All I did was ask about there scrap metal and he saved it back, evidently just to give to me personally.  I have to think of some sculpture transmission related to reciprocate.  I have time to dwell on it though.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:33 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Ahhh! I see it now, it sounds the same when you here it but it’s spelt different, raise vs raze 

it’s another one of our our wonderful language quirks we’re we got 2-3-4 words that sound the same but spelt different lol

there, their, they're don't get your hat in a knot up over mere words