I Forge Iron

It followed me home

needs some engine work (not firing 1000% on one cylinder and needs oil etc) and the drivers side door pin bushings are long gone so the door panel is busted fixes look to be under $500 total to fix and that will boost the value of the car to around 3000-5000 I've seen on others in the province

minimal rust on body and the back seats fold good space to I'm 6ft and have extra space has roof tie points and 251999km on it new transmission about 40000km back

edit 100% not 1000 but left cause i thought its funny

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just remember not to put heavy stuff or long items in it behind the driver's seat---or passenger's seat if you have one!

Blacksmith "en brochette" is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE MENU!

Didn't follow me home as I have a couple already; but a pole of heavy truck axles suitable for hammer forging; generally around 1050 steel, (more were scattered around too!)

KIMG0079.thumb.JPG.9da9f057ff83c4d2a1ff670d87d263e8.JPG

Thomas, 

I know someone who got one of those harbor freight metal band saws on sale 

and he ordered better blades for it and then replaced a few of the cheaper made parts with better stuff, 

An to my surprise he’s been cutting2”- 3” solid stock with it pretty easy,

I see those for sale barely used on Craigslist occasionally for cheap,

I've cut 2-1/2" 4140 shaft material on my little Craftsman horizontal bandsaw. Indeed, my last couple of Quad-State visits were financed in part by selling 3- and 4-pound chunks that I'd cut up thus.

Well money is tight right now as I just found out that shipping some parts to LG is going to cost as much as getting them reworked!    One of the downsides of rural living.   As is finding tools locally that are not in the scrapyard.  They would sure make nice hammer blanks.  Some are larger than any axles I have seen outside of RR stuff.  I may toss a couple more to the side when I go on Saturday...

I've mentioned it before but anybody who is fabricating, welding or blacksmithing needs a oxy/acetylene torch.  Cut, weld, braze, localized heat for bending and the list goes on.  It was my first metal working tool and I wouldn't be without one, or two.  I made enough money welding up junk sculptures to pay for the gas bottles right quick.  The gas axe would cut those axles to the desired length piece in a minute.  Add a propane/oxy rosebud torch and life is good.

Oxypropane has changed my shop immeasurably. Can’t gas weld, but spot heading for bending, riveting, and upsetting is great. Haven’t tried to cut anything really thick yet, but could in theory cut up to 5” with the right tip. 

I haven't even thought about oxy acet since I bought my All State's oxy propane rig in the late 70s. Doesn't weld worth spit but I have a couple arc welders to handle that for me. It does any kind of braze or solder beautifully. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Where's Bill Nye when you need him?  With only 2 moving brain parts I imagine it will be kind of slow.  Still wouldn't want it tipping over on somebody and frying them with it's Jacobs Ladder.  Or blasting them with magneto sparks.  That lock n tag go on the power switch....

My next big purchase is oxy propane or oxy acetylene set up. 
I’ve got this huge piece that looks like a blade of some sort that might follow me home from work. My boss said I can take it but it looks strange. The finish makes it look like it’s some kind of casting or something but I would think if it is a blade it would be some kind good heat treatable steel but I’ve never seen a finish like this. What do you guys think it might be? 

B372701C-BF12-47EB-B49C-34851C9D5430.jpeg

8373B45B-FAA9-412B-B495-E355EA9CA30B.jpeg

Definitely do a spark test. You can also do a drill test: steel produces shavings, while cast iron produces powder.

30 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

some kinda break blade for putting bends in something? 

No, those are almost always ground to very precise dimensions. They're good steel if you get your hands on one, though: usually 4140 or thereabouts, good for anvil tools and the like.

Learn somthin new every day! 
I doubt there’s many if any to be had in Adair county I’d prolly have to go to the big city to find somthin like that, 

but ya never know, occasionally I meet people like me that drag random stuff here from somewhere else! Lol