• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's pretty chilly for your neck of the planet Thomas. Weather guessers have been predicting snow for a week now so I've left the insurance active on the pickup. Called it quits Monday and remembered to suspend it this morning. Been snowing all day, not much but this is supposed to be the first of three snow makers. 

Been pretty cold the last few days, single digits with highs in the low to mid teens but it's warming up as I type. This one might make enough snow to activate the insurance again. 

Nothing good's followed me home recently. Except Deb but she's riding shotgun so that's not really following. Been making lots of trips recently, lots of Physical tyranny on her new knee, 3 times a week till this week because she had a follow up from the folks who ground the ends off the bones for her. Cool xrays, looking great. PT tomorrow though.

The process they used was the Mako Robot Arm. It's becoming the favored method because of the cool name. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's what I've been doing. Shoved some snow but mostly taking care of Deb and petting the dogs.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well we did all the "pre storm" running around yesterday. I also dumped the ash bucket and buried the compost and insulated the hose bibs---the Styrofoam mini coolers they ship my insulin in make great hose bib covers.  Now we're just waiting,  dark grey sky on my way to work today (27 days, 19 work days to go!)

Didn’t exactly follow me home, but I’m currently sitting in a deer stand hoping to fill a request from my daughter, that’s living in S Carolina, for some fresh meat when my wife and I go up up in a couple of weeks when she has her first baby. I just got a picture of my new grandson, so it looks like I’ll be heading north sooner than expected. Everyone is doing great!

Saw the anvil and forge listed on CL last night.  Paid a lot more than I usually do,  but I didn't get hurt. He had a storage locker full of items from locker auctions,  etc. and said look around, it is all for sale.  I found the vise in the back of the locker. 

The forge is marked semisteel on the bottom.  And is fairly large.  No blower,  and I believe the four holes in the rim of the forge were for a shield/hood.

You can just make out the remnants of the Trenton diamond. It needs the edges dressed,  and the horn planished. 

The hammers run from a Matco ball pien to a Made in Japan. The big one is a Pittsburgh 3# 

The vise is a 5" Columbian with good threads.  Needs some tuning to dial it in,  and a spring. Not as heavy as the last Columbian I bought,  but still a good one.

The big file is around 5/16th thick,  and may become a knife. One that I had made years ago was stolen from my folks estate, along with all of my other knives that were there. I'll see if I can recreate it. 

The indicator is a British GEM and is a 15-0-15 in. 0005" increments. 

Admin,  if you know how to shrink the photos down,  go ahead,  I am kinda E-tarded when it comes to things like that. 

IMG_20220205_153619.jpg

IMG_20220205_153640.jpg

IMG_20220205_153811.jpg

IMG_20220205_154219.jpg

IMG_20220205_154255.jpg

IMG_20220205_154337.jpg

IMG_20220205_155322.jpg

IMG_20220205_155413.jpg

IMG_20220205_155436.jpg

IMG_20220205_155648.jpg

IMG_20220205_155733.jpg

IMG_20220205_155743.jpg

Looks like a great haul. Won't even ask about the handcuffs.:D As far as the pictures they look OK to me and loaded fast. As far as resizing the large ones, after you insert them into the post double click on them and a dialog box pops up with the size. I usually use 500x375 and check the box about keeping the ratio/aspect (or something like that).

The cuffs are no names, he kept the pair of Peerless. Most of mine are S&W's, but the silver pair were interesting in that they use a starwheel , and pockets instead of an outside ratchet edge. Just something different, and good for Halloween costumes.

Thanks for the tip on the pictures.

I got a really great haul for free yesterday but im always amazed at the type of things guys on here find like Biggundoctor - that’s crazy. I think it’s the area I live in though. There’s just not many blacksmiths - at least that I can find. 
Anyway my uncle passed a few months back and my aunt is getting rid of his tools so she said I could scavenge. Mostly woodworking tools that I don’t even understand but also some really awesome stuff. These letter and number stamps which I think will be ok for steel. These three compass/dividers not sure of proper name but they look extremely well made and stamped France on them - not sure if that’s good or bad and also this little tiny one in a glass case. I got more clamps than I could carry - all different kinds, almost brand new dremel 3000 and some great wood chisels. Also got this benchtop mortiser…kind of funny my aunt brought it with her the day after I was at her house because she thought it was the drill press I said I wanted lol. So I’ll still go get the drill press at some point but I think any blacksmith (that doesn’t know what he’s doing) would look at this and think the same thing…think with a modified bit this could be used to punch holes? Not hammer eyes obviously lol but thin stock? 

3AA73614-2689-4925-A563-C0CD94A711EF.jpeg

8C6DC782-448D-495B-BE4E-384B560DEC6A.jpeg

B5A16B80-8CE1-4546-9AF5-638D3E2544C6.jpeg

FF240A6D-932A-4BDB-88FE-4D06AA3317D7.jpeg

4B234F18-4258-4926-8844-D2A2D8A60F95.jpeg

E22FBE2C-A428-4970-83A9-453242C337A2.jpeg

7BB1CD03-7CAB-4845-9F67-07CE365A3E29.jpeg

Got this set of gauge blocks too. Cheap ones I’m sure but doesn’t matter. 

E384F4F3-51DD-41ED-9826-45248417C8A3.jpeg

Just remember that there were more anvils in *cities* than there were in farming areas.  An anvil was part of most factory maintenance departments as well as machine shops, car repair shops (got my first 6" postvise from a car repair shop that had been in the same building since 1918, they had a smithy as well as a full woodshop too, from back when car bodies ere made from wood!), etc.  My wife's great uncles mentioned the forge and anvils they had used  in a sugar beet sugar refinery in Kansas and there was a full smithy in the plate glass factory in Fort Smith AR; shoot there was even anvils in *hospitals*, I was privileged to talk with an orthopedic smith once.  He worked at a hospital in Columbus Ohio forging custom splints and braces around WWII  times.

Asking blacksmiths for smithing gear tends to be more expensive than asking everyone you meet  and finding stuff in basements and garages that the current owners don't have a use for!  (I've several times have run across anvils talking to elderly widows after church and was once given a Swedish cast steel anvil by a retired rancher in his 80's after we got to talking about smithing at a church function.  I ran across a local "hoard"  because a Doctor in our church knew I did smithing.  She ran the community theater and was told by the city that she had to move their sets & props as the place they stored them was going to be remodeled.  She mentioned that to a friend who said "We have a dry storage building we could lend you; but it's full of old blacksmithing equipment that hasn't been touched in 25 years.  Took about a week to make a deal but I picked up 3 powerhammers, s 248# Peter Wright anvil, half dozen post vises, 4 hand crank blowers. set hammers, cone mandrel, etc and so on.  I sold off the stuff I didn't want and so got my powerhammer and cone mandrel and another 6" post vise for FREE!  Made a couple of folks real happy too. Note these folks were NOT blacksmiths! Hoard pics:

blacksmithpile1.m.thumb.jpg.68bedfa39d7fcd6585625a95af757715.jpgblacksmithpile2.m.thumb.jpg.91bcf3145472f040c3b422455ddff49a.jpgblacksmithpile3.m.thumb.jpg.b1796ded1c79210a6e6a21774263e10a.jpg

And it was all sitting there unseen in our small town; the 3 powerhammers were at a house I can see from my office window and the rest in a building a couple of blocks from the town square.   Talk with people, have some cheap business cards to hand out with your name, phone, email and "I want Blacksmithing stuff!" on them.  Remember the best deals are generally from people you wouldn't think had any smithing stuff around!  This was from a couple that manage a bunch of rentals in our small college town...

I got a good deal on an oxy acetylene cutting torch from a neighbor. He only had the torch and tips and no bottles or anything. I do plan on having bottles sometime soon, but for now I want to wait for the shed to be completely done and see if there is any place to store them securely and away from the forge and work bench where I grind and weld. For now it looks like the rest will come in the future.

IMG_20220207_104441.thumb.jpg.f0e94debb406f055e237bbccf182b83a.jpg

There is one complete set that belongs to the box, and then another burner type thing with the black handle and a inlet/valve thing from another set, which I might sell.

~Jobtiel