I Forge Iron

It followed me home

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

How did the blacksmithing chicken cross the road?

He put the hammer down and proved to the armadillo it could be done.:)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

filled the woods with fowl.

I helped a State Trooper work one of those Tyson live haul wrecks in Eureka Springs. When he radioed dispatch of his arrival, he said I'll be out with this multi fatality wreck. To this day one can run across subsequent offspring's of that wreck.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I chipped the stuff out, it appeared to be old plaster. There is a small hole dead center of the bottom, less than half an inch and perfectly round. That spot appears slightly thicker than the rest of the steel. No hole through the lining though so the hole was covered up. 

Also found a steel bed frame (minus headboard and footboard) at the dump on my way home today. No idea what I’m gonna use it for. 

With a square corner, yes. Reshaped with a curve instead of a right angle, they can also make good carving gouges.

As with any mystery steel, it's best to do a hardening before making the tool. You don't want to find out that the steel is unhardenable after you've invested time, effort, and fuel in reshaping it.

True on #2.

Grabbed an unknown piece of rusty round bar to forge a rose stem the other night. I expected mild to lower medium carbon as usual but it turned out to be higher carbon. So it got marked with orange spray paint and put in the appropriate pile. 

87 pounds from the scrapyard, 7# of cans to the scrapyard.

Included in the "out" was a combination fence repair tool and a 2.5# Woodings Verona cross peen hammer in bad shape---probably be reforged into a French crosspeen.  Also some conduit, a motor mount I hope will fit my 25# LG, some scrap steel and 1/2 a livestock panel.  They sold me a good looking plumber's acetylene tank for 20 USCents a pound too; now to exchange it if possible.  The gnarled root burl from a mesquite tree was free.

Clean it up, add linseed oil and try to resell for enough money that it wouldnt be worth keeping or chopping up for art. If it doesnt sell it is fair game. 

I've seen them before. 

Was thinking you would be making/ hammering some tin shoes for a sculpture with it.