• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The torch is from a company called Oxygenium, based in Schiedam. The part labeled from Sweden is part of some other set. Haven't looked around much yet, but iirc correctly the one my brother uses on his work is from the same company.

~Jobtiel

Yeah, I thought the Sievert looked more like a plumber's torch one would connect directly to a tank of fuel without additional oxygen. If Oxygenium is still in business (or was until recently), it shouldn't be too difficult to get parts and service.

The little wheeled gizmo in the upper left corner could come in handy; it's designed to hold the torch tip at a fixed distance from the metal and roll across the surface, making cutting easier and more accurate. 

Yeah, I think that will really come in handy, looking around it seems that the company has fused, so the original name is not there anymore,. It the new company still produces torches. There is also some other part in there that I don't know the use for, maybe it doesn't belong in there at all.

Screenshot_20220210-200658.thumb.jpg.fa9d5579fcfbed100c0265dc21638197.jpg

At the end of the small rod there is a point, and there is a place for a second rod in there.

~Jobtiel

My money is on the long rod on the far left side screwing into the torch support and then sliding through the fixture you marked in the last photo, for cutting circles. Set the distance from the point to the torch at (or slightly larger than) the radius of the desired circle, and you're good to go.

I just made something similar myself, detailed HERE.

The Sievert propane Torch is top quality. I have a couple of them...bought them back in Mid 1970s when I started out and was earning a living as a jeweller and silversmith.  Still in regular use now, last used two days ago to stress relief anneal some cartridge cases.

The nozzles are still available. The handpiece is universal and with various necks and nozzles will do fine silver soldering to hot felt roofing. Good website.

The large diameter neck in the middle produces a helical flame which licks around the back of copper pipe work for plumbing.

IMG_9137.thumb.JPG.aebbcaf4eb13718f40cd686d3fe350cd.JPGI built my first gas furnace from an L shape of fire bricks and an arc made from a third of an oil drum with ceramic fibre bats stacked in...powered by the big sievert nozzle it was enough to give me 650mm (26") heat on lengths of 50mm (2") square aluminium for forging these window grilles.

2138204079_117RadleyFashiongrillesandlettering.thumb.jpg.a9544d4b344c3e3af97d54c71bcc4cbd.jpg

Sievert are one and the same with Primus who made paraffin (kerosene) cookers and lamps...the sort under pressure rather than wick burners.

Alan

Sorry if it was stating the obvious. I didn't know whether they were exported to the USA.

In the UK the pressure lamps were either Tilley or Primus brand. But the paraffin pressure stoves were almost exclusively Primus. Blimey just done a search for an image and see they are worth £50-85 on eBay...we have two or three in the shed I must look out!

image.jpeg.af9e9c4dcd2a05f4052d78f984d867b0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f05bb7d50e84e9ec329e9aa25f8055b.jpeg

Alan Knight, the smith I worked with when I left college had a neat folding petrol pressure stove which collapsed into a rectangular box made by Coleman I think, and I had the impression that was ex military USA. We used it every day for tea and coffee brewing

Alan

Back in the day Primus made small, white (unleaded) gasoline stoves for backpacking and camping.  Not sure if they were the wick type or pump/pressure.  They were smaller and more compact and lighter than the single burner Coleman brand stoves.  I still use my Swedish Svea stove (wick) for camping but it is a bit scarier and a hassle to use compared to the small propane and butane stoves.  I do like the gadget factor.  It also impresses younger folk who have never seen anything like it.  It is sort of like showing off and using a slide rule rather than a calculator or a phone.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

On 10/23/2021 at 1:30 PM, DHarris said:

Where can I get one of these? Or something which would serve the same purpose? It appears to have broken off mine at some point. 

BF25AA40-DEA2-48DD-B1A6-7C347A1FA308.jpeg

92A006D2-44B5-4664-B560-722074F24864.png

It's a broken-off oil cup. You can get one from Mcmaster-Carr (Commercial link removed per TOS) and others. You would not necessarily fill to this level, or you will probably have a lot of leakage. A smaller amount in the bottom of the casting (that the motion of the gears can distribute) will probably serve you better.

Edited by Mod30
Remove commercial link per TOS

The only way to tell is to test. Cut halfway through and bend it until it breaks. If it's wrought iron, a fibrous structure -- like a broken green stick -- will be revealed. 

Keep in mind that each link may be a different metal, depending on what was available when the chain was made. Strictly speaking, you would have to test every one.

If it is WI, though, make your neighbor something nice as a thank-you!