I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Drill shank. I got a few from a PG&E auction along with a mess of jackhammer bits when my Dad and I were starting out.

Most hex stock is more than mild steel, as it is used for things like PTO shafting and needs to be tough. May not get super hard, but tough.

I wouldn't worry about the springs for gigs. Just use one of the unbroken ones. I wonder if it is the rust that causes them to break. Out West I have only seen a couple of broken leaf springs, more simply bent, but hear about far more back East.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your piece of hollow hex stock is most likely not a gun barrel.  In all my years of messing with antique and modern guns, I have never seen a hex barrel, they are always octagon except for one that I saw that was 12 sided.  Also, gun barrels are typically not high carbon.  I vote for some kind of drive shaft for farm equipment or something similar where the shaft needed to change length during use as it slid in and out of a hex socket.

Thanks for the idea Gazz,

I don’t believe it’s a gun barrel, it was 14 foot long, 

I doubt it was a pto drive shaft either being that long, not saying it couldn’t exist but personally I’ve never seen a brush hog or a hay baler or any other pto driven equipment with a 14 foot pto shaft! :blink:

I think Thomas is probably right at it being drill stem, 

Yes.  Hard rock mining is generally done using explosives.  The University here is known for their "Energetic Materials Research and Training"  group.  Their expertise came in handy during WWII and now they do a lot of "First Responder" training as well.  The whole town is pretty laid back over hearing BOOMs come from the test pads.

I concur, that's a stick of drill rod/stem. In use they're 20' long, coupler type depends on manufacturer.

Kelly bars aren't hollow and are usually square. Hex drill stem helps prevent cuttings getting jammed between the rod and hole.

Frosty The Lucky.