• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This followed me home a couple weeks ago. Lucky for me a fellow member keeps his eye out for local smithy stuff that I could use. Also lucky for me this just happens to be the style of press I was planning on building this winter. She needs a motor & pump which is almost a plus since I can put on exactly what I want. As for cost, it was a touch over scrap price. I think filling the truck with fuel on the way was more then the press. 

1339718B-5DF7-46E5-91AD-BE62DDD50087.jpeg

A07991BE-E75C-41C1-98AE-626232837591.jpeg

I'm hoping once I make it home (work-week away, helping another branch catch up with jobs) that I can check on my adobe experiment and fire back up the JABOD and get to working... well, something darn it! 

I had mental thoughts of the pipe being utilized for an ash-dump perhaps. That is, provided my rivet-forge pan arrives at the upcoming local event. My clay and adobe experiments should help prepare me for that (though I will still need to either braze or Ni the crack...)

It was for sale at the Blue Moon Press booth at Quad-State. I wanted to buy a copy, but I’d already blown most of my discretionary budget on a speeding ticket on the way down. 

3 hours ago, masonred said:

Why did 2 pics load and why does it reappear after I delete 1?

Because it’s about working iron, and you have a magnetic personality. 

Took some scrap to the yard and got enough cash (mostly for a couple of copper busbars) to get another tankful of propane, some drops from the steel supplier, and a couple of hammer handles and a nice B&S hermaphrodite caliper from the local junk shop. 

06A74AC1-BCE0-46C6-99ED-6F983A51563F.jpeg

(Five bucks for the last three, which ain’t bad.)

Went to a yard sale and found a few gems in the rough. From left: fuller, eye punch, rectangular drift, rock chisel?, round drift, round punch, drift?... 25¢ eachIMG_20200125_115445862.thumb.jpg.cc7f295a67b0c9f8046a38c54a0e680b.jpg

Also a set of letter punches. 7.50IMG_20200125_115645269.thumb.jpg.524ab4fd4d253d32339b20d615acc99f.jpg

When asked why they were getting rid of it all, they replied that it was in their garage when they moved in, and they were tired of tripping over it. I managed to talk them down to $10 for the lot so we didn't have to mess with change and everyone went home happy

It's always hit and miss for me at yard sales, mostly miss. Haven't found anything at the 7 sales before this one, but then you find the one that has quite a few things you could use and it makes the effort of the others you went to worth it. 

I hit a sale Friday morning and got a ton of good buys. One standout is a c-frame ratcheting punch for $4. I'll try to get some pics later, I need to get to sleep as I work tonight. We have been working 7 days a week recently. I don't mind as Saturday is all time and a half, and Sundays are double time. Cha-Ching!

Das, I just bought a Koenig Iron Works PTO winch for $10. Need to dust it off and check it over. Spins free, so that is a plus. It may go on the 56 Imperial 4x4 project :D

winchkoenig.jpg

A couple of hammers. 3lb and 10lb found in thrift shop in Grand Junction both for $15. A little steep for thrift prices but I've wanted a 10lb sledge and the chances of me coming across a used one for much less is slim as I don't frequent the recycle center as much. And sometimes the 2.5lb just ain't enough, so the 3lb will be nice for the extra heft.

IMG-5045.jpg

That 10#'r looks a whole lot like work to me!  I'd like to have the entire gamut of sledges; currently my smallest hammer is a 2 oz ballpeen and largest is a 16# sledge.  I've run across a 20# sledge but they thought it was made from Au. I've also talked with a fellow who used a 32# sledge breaking rocks for road work back in the CCC days; (I'd thought that was an exaggeration except I'd run across a published reference to that beforehand.)

If the handles are decent you made your money back just there!

Paid a tow truck driver to pick up and deliver the LG power hammers from my big deal.  More than I wanted to pay; but my wife pointed out that the co-pay for an ER run would be even more. And it turns out that the tow truck driver has a 50# LG... So that's 4 powerhammers I've found in 2 weeks within a mile of where I work in front of a computer screen...I must be getting old---I'm slowing down...

On 1/26/2020 at 1:38 AM, Shabumi said:

I managed to talk them down to $10 for the lot so we didn't have to mess with change and everyone went home happy

I keep going to yard sales in hopes of finding something blacksmith related but so far no result. I'm still holding out for the ONE that pays off. 

Pnut

Finally, after at least 9 months of searching, I bought a Lincoln 225amp welder...............in GREAT condition.  Rubber looks brand new and was plenty pliable.  Seller said the unit was around 35 years old but he seldom used it.  I believe it.  It's been sitting in an enclosed metal storage unit in his driveway.   It's the old heavy copper coiled one.  It came with about 40 pounds of sticks.  I've got a lot of little projects in the shop I won't have to go "begging" friends to do for me.  Have to learn how to weld with a stick first, of course.  And the cable is only about 6 feet long.  Won't even reach the plug on the wall because of other equipment.  Will need to run 220 from my woodworking shop to the forge shop and then get a 220 extension cord.  

I have no idea the condition of all the sticks.  There are several packages marked in such a way I'm assuming they are universal.  Some of them I don't know.  Should I put these in an oven and dry them before trying to use them?

That site is just a short list (rods I use most), this one I have bookmarked and is more in depth. Forgot to mention the color dots on the end of the rods. As far as putting them in an oven, it won't hurt them and some say they should always be dried and stored in moisture proof containers.

https://weldguru.com/welding-electrode/