Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81Dw1cm.jpg

The counterweight of a tractor in upside down position. It was offered to me by the guys in one of the orchards where I work. The frame is 250 mm wide and built from 10 mm thick steel plate. The frame is salvageable to make the base for a bench grinder or a vice or something like that. The two counterweights  are made of 50 mm thick plate dimensions 315 mm X 280 mm at the widest and 250 mm at the shortest. Interesting those counterweights look more and more like a swage block...:rolleyes:

Price was good too. All I had to do was load them up. I think I need to fill the bottles though. Last time they were used was when I cut some pieces out for my forge. Wasn't much left in them then. I don't think dad used them twice in the last four years, so I told him they needed a new home haha.

Not sure I need them where I would get them filled. They are bought tanks, not leased, and there are only 2 places around that fill them. They were bought from the one I will be going to. I'll have to double check if I'll need them there or not.

Get and file the paperwork with both locations near you that fill the tanks. Keep a copy on file at your house. Easy to make a copy and put it in a zip lock baggy and secure it to the tanks. Clear tape works and it saves a whole lot of looking if they are needed.

I bought my tanks back in 1972 from Gold Coast Welding in Ft. Lauderdale FL. Finding the paper work would be impossible, however they stamped SOLD into each tank. Never had a problem getting them refilled, which is what I do because they are very large tanks and full one's usually last me about ten years. I'm thinking about swapping them out for smaller tanks because it's hard to lift them into my new truck and you can't by law transport them in an enclosed vehicle.

Dear gents,

-about the paperwork on gas cylinders, they are pressure vessels and ‘little bomb’s’. Actually they have to be checked periodically on leakage, corrosion and integrity.

Normally they (filling station, Notified body) do this by visual inspection, pressure tests and wall thickness measurement, then you get your ‘paperwork’ by certificate or approval. The expiring date of the approval mostly is mentioned on the cylinder by stamp or sticker.

Regarding the hoses, they worn out after a while by temperature, age and UV-radiation. Even they have to be checked periodically by pressure test and dumpling under water.

Last but not least the possible flash back to your acetylene cylinder possible at any time you turn of the wrong valve (oxygen) first after use. You can avoid that by special valves behind the pressure reducer. On another treat I already mentioned the upright use and transportation of the acetylene cylinders because of the liquid acetone contain.

Maybe for some of you nothing new, but for others maybe a reminder to treat this kind of stuff serious.

Have a nice day, and forge, burn, cut nice things. Hans

Hans Richter,

Thank you for your notes on gas pressure vessels (tanks). Though known to many old timers. It bears repeating, in order to "teach" or remind many others.

As you have already mentioned alluded, acetylene tanks are a potential bomb. They are complicated, & not just cylinders & they have acetone, in  them, to dissolve the gas. (e.g. they used to be filled with porous cement in the old days. (They use something else these days for that purpose). Help me out with that detail please. Thanks.

Never store/transport the cylinders in a horizontal position. & they should be refilled long before they run out. The lower pressure reading, for refill, is disclosed elsewhere. And I don't remember it right now.

Jock's site has an expansive treatment on bottled gases. especially acetylene. It pays to read a little on the subject. It will repay the reader much for just a little effort.

SLAG.

I just checked out what they now use in the gas cylinders that helps stabilizes acetylene gas. Two of them are diatomaceous earth and also kapok fiber. There are others. They are used in conjunction with acetone fluid.

I first tried Google for the search. It delivered many pages of ads for sale, & no answer to my querry. 

Are they going to seed, as a search engine, because of money making greed?

Say it ain't so Google?!

Maybe I need some special search tips to navigate your site?

SLAG.

I go for ... mm ... $226.50 :)

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Some places are fussy about the tank paperwork due to the many stolen tanks out there. If your area is not, then lucky you and I hope you don't move to an area where they are fussy.

So the paperwork is to prove ownership ... I see. 

In Australia we used to have a monopoly on welding gases by just one company. High rental and low price for gas. Convenient for the workshop that uses many tanks per year, no good for the small workshop. 

Eventually and only a few years ago, some companies started to trade by selling the cylinders rather than renting them yet their gas prices is higher. To prove ownership is not necessary since all cylinders are marked with the company name and each company fills their own. If someone steals the cylinder he can still go and get it refilled. The cylinders that are rented require an account with the refilling company and you can buy a stolen cylinder on Gumtree, but no one will refill it. 

As for my original question if you get your cylinders refilled or if you swap them for a full one, I read that IF&C bought his cylinders in 1972 ... but i surely hope they are not the same in use today ... yeeeks! I get a different cylinder every time. They "belong" to me legally but the process of refilling by swapping puts the need for periodical checks back on the gas company.  

I have seen cylinders dated back to 1922 that were still in use in the 90's. The oldest I have seen recently was a US NAVY marked cylinder from 1943, and yes they get hydro tested every 5 or 12  years I believe - I know propane tanks are 12. I bought my cylinders when I had my shop. They took my empties and swapped it out with a full one. They handled the hydro's.

In the “One That Got Away” Department, the local industrial surplus place listed a box of 24” x 48” sheets of Duraboard (I think two sheets of 2” thick, but not sure) for twenty bucks. It was sold before I could get a hold on it. Grrrrr....

This little lot turned up today. Guy was cleaning out his father's shed and wanted a new home for these old tools. His Dad was a carpenter so most of this stuff is woodworking gear, but I did select out a few pieces that might find a use in the forge (pic2). Punches, chisels, pliers and wrenches and especially boxes of copper rivets are all welcome.  I'm wondering what those serrated tongs in the middle are for. Maybe for holding crucibles or something.

There was a small anvil in there too (pic 3). Don't know whether it's home made or not. If it is, it's well done. The man even gave me an old steel-wheel trolley to move the stuff into the shed and the large chest which was used to store it all in nicely fitted compartments. The tools were in use back in the thirties. Nice when people show up with things like this.

donated tools.JPG

donated tools 2.JPG

DSC_8539.JPG