• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend brought a box of files over several years ago.  After soaking the lastest files in vinegar I decided to clean a couple in the box and found this one.  It's marked Murcott Campbel. I'm hoping they forgot to add an l and that is Campbell.  My google-foo is not great but Murcott Campbell was bought in 1944 by Heller.  The blurb I found said in 1913 Murcott &Campbell was the largest manufacturer of hand cut files.  The logo in the article was different than this so I have no idea when it was built.  The file has plenty of cut left not sure what I'm going to do with it but it's coming out of the high carbon bucket and at least going on the file rack. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The outside cover becomes thin sheet and the inside tank could become many things including an outdoor wood burner. I have one to disassemble as well. :) once I get it apart I'm going to double check there are no nasties inside before getting too crazy with it. 

As I was leaving a beer distributer ( also a car wash and propane distributer) I noticed they had a Lot of junky looking propane tanks sitting outside. I'll inquire about them next time I'm there. Maybe several will follow me home. 

8 - 5' 4" long sticks of .25"x1.5"x1.5" angle iron, a 6" wide x 8' long heavy channel, a long chunk of 3/8" round stock, and an old 10 lb Sledge hammer, all from Facebook marketplace sellers near me. $20 all told.. fun day! 

I'm still looking for some old ball peen hammers to make texture tools ala JHCC, and some I beam for my future press project.

IMG_20180217_154012414.jpg

Good job, Shady!

I've been watching that marketplace with some interest, but I've never seen anything like that haul!  The closest I've come is some large i-beam for well over a c-note.  I'd give my eye teeth for a sweet deal on some thick angle and channel like that!