I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was carded as well, the lock back knife I was given as part of my Daughter's wedding party worked sufficiently well to effect entrance.  (The handle says Thomas Father of the Bride".)    The reception is supposed to be tomorrow but covid may keep us from visiting up there just now.  (We are OK; but my Daughter's BiL and the father of the BiL appear to be active cases...)

NUTS! We didn't check the mail yesterday and they're closed to day. <sigh>

I really like it Wicon. It has me thinking of making the inbox round and blue. But I don't know how opening a letter in the lake with Excalibur fits though.

I have to hit the shop, temps in the teens or not. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay here's mine. My second ever letter opener, first ever animal head. I did better at beveling this one than I did on the first one. I was aiming for dragon but it more closely resembles an alligator because of that long snout and lack of ears/horns/wings/etc. I couldn't quite work out those characteristics by the time I realized they were needed. It's also a bit hefty for a letter opener, lol. Next one will be smaller. 

fotor_1667104080367.jpg

fotor_1667104134429.jpg

fotor_1667104195373.jpg

I like it Shaina, it puts me to mind of a metal Muppet character sort of. I haven't come up with a suggestion for a name but I will. It's a beaver tail long snouted something or other. It'll come to me when I'm thinking of something else. Sometimes names have to cook a while but one is in there.

Nice job on the twist, that one isn't easy to do. Well done

Frosty The Lucky.

I humbly submit my entry in the letter opener competition for the fabulous grand prize of an all expenses paid round trip to Peavine Ok. that includes exciting hay rides behind genuine almost impossible to believe something that old still runs tractor. And all you can eat goat BBQ supplied by one of Billy's more . . . active:rolleyes: neighbors.

And here it is! And YES the background are envelopes opened with the pictured letter opener.

Bear in mind please I am NOT a bladesmith guy though the steel is not mild. It's a salvaged potato chain link supposedly in the range of medium carbon steel but it fights the hammer harder than coil spring and sparks like 1070+/-.

Frosty The Lucky.

1152492113_letteropener01.thumb.JPG.dcccfe94fe19f13af30595a184b21453.JPG 309512633_letteropener02.thumb.JPG.2d4a0a0d0ef9b26b8754cccbcc6fc25e.JPG

TW- I haven’t been able to get back to the forge lately with other chores keeping me busy. Finishing my ghost (or bird) letter opener will have to wait for another day.

Great work everyone! This was a fun challenge and many excellent ideas emerged.

There is much talent in this group!

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

And all you can eat goat BBQ supplied by one of Billy's more . . . active:rolleyes: neighbors

Don’t worry, Thomas and his crew ate the BBQ when they was passin through a they all survived!;)

… well a least last i heard anyway,

your letter opener looks very nice Jerry!