I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, no tooth brush letter shiv. Sometimes I'm appalled by how insensitive I can be, besides I've used an electric tooth brush for years and Deb would kill me if I used hers. 

Eskimo letter shiv? :huh: Inuit, Yupik, Athabascan?

Frosty The Lucky.

Pounded this out of some leftover cable damascus that was left on a rod from a knife I made. It was getting late and I rushed the ugly twist in the handle And got a little delam. The blade part is fine. The line across the blade goes all the way around. I wasn't getting as good an etch in my home made ferric chloride as I liked so I left it in over night with the handle side down and that line was where the rest of the blade was out of the solution. Doesn't seem to want to break easily and it is good enough for opening letters. 

And another lesson or two learned.:rolleyes:

20220827_231517.thumb.jpg.014d1f4417581a3545e4391b723e8b18.jpg

Its a cane sword blade so will be hidden inside a walking cane..  I'll do follow up thread when it's finished.. I suppose I could start one now..  It's the reason I finished the steeled wrought iron hammer. 

I'm pretty sure I have the design for the letter opener.. Maybe this weekend. It will be the first time trying this technique. 

Jennifer, whoever ends up with the sword cane should be aware that in some places a sword cane is considered a concealed weapon.  I heard about one guy who got stopped by TSA at the airport and it was news to him that his cane had a blade in it even though he had owned it for years.

GNM

Thomas, I have not heard of it. Different idea but still an awesome one. I have seen some black powder pistols built onto dagger blades or short swords. 

I just imagine a warrior landing the axe in an opponent then grabbing the end of the handle and pulling out a sword to continue the fight or multiply the weapons in the fight. 

One day I will make it. 

I think I have seen something similar but not in a large battle axe. Think it was a light one handed axe or war hammer with a metal handle. 

Nice sword cane Irondragon. I have a super cheap one with a dragon head handle but it is about worthless for how much you have to unscrew the handle and a short flimsy blade. 

That one looks quality.

I have the issue of the "Arms and Armour Annual" with the article "A Wheellock Dagger from the court of the Medici"  It fires the end of the blade like a harpoon.  You wind the grip to set the spring for the lock.

Unfortunately combo weapons tend to be like combo tools and not be really great at any of their tasks.

On a lighter side; did you see the 1973 Three Musketeers movie, (Oliver Reed, Michael York, Raquel Welch, Richard Chamberlin, etc!!!)  It has a Rapier with a concealed stiletto in the hilt that turns out to be very handy in a corps a corps...

Don't believe I recall seeing that. 

I have seen modern made knives that fire the blade out with spring power.

I know how multi purpose tools tend to be less useful for the tasks. This would be more fantasy than purpose functional. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.   I’m very new to this, just making my 3rd hook today with a leaf on the end.   This is very intimidating but I’ll give it a shot.   I have and old lawnmower clipping bag and a lump of walnut in the woodpile.   What could go wrong?   

3AABA7B4-D97F-4C28-9F42-B98AC42CA077.jpeg

DE0BDA7B-0A7D-4FBB-97BD-4B667138F28A.jpeg

0F287CB2-23D7-40A3-A259-182CC57B6554.jpeg

344A1D07-5791-4884-8A44-73D9BB8AF312.jpeg