I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

Howdy everyone!

with fall coming on soon and the holiday season following soon after, I thought since we ain’t had a challenge in awhile that it’d be fun to start a new one!

everyone’s invited to participate!!!

from beginners to hobbyists to   professional smiths to…. yes even our resident curmudgeons! 

the challenge will be to make letter opener!

For openin all those holiday cards that will be pouring in yalls mail boxes in a few months! 

the required material!

will be anything you choose! And any size you choose! 

new stock, old stock, copper, brass, mild, wrought, titanium, high carbon, stone, glass, wood, bone, or ? 

the only limitations are

first

it will actually have to be able to open a letter! :rolleyes: 

second

it will have to have at least some kinda forged metal content even if you choose to make the bulk of it from a non metal material 

Third 

This goes without sayin, you gotta take pictures an post em!

it can be any theme or design

the deadline for the challenge will be October 31 Halloween! 

so that gives everyone over two months from now to complete their projects!

alright I think that covers just about everything ready set Go!

Happy forging! Everyone make sure to stay safe and have fun!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you aboard again Brian, been a long time. Posting pics has changed since you posted but it's not too hard. If you have trouble give a shout someone will be happy to talk you through it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your hammer making tongs! I love those tongs even though I haven't made a hammer in a long time. You selected the "choose file" button at the bottom of the message window and picked one out of a file on your computer. Yes? That's my preferred method, all you need to do is watch file size when you post and it shows in the window before you post. 

I'll be looking forward to seeing your letter opener and reading what you have to say until then.

Frosty The Lucky.

53 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

You're on Billy. Although I may have an advantage over other folks

Lol Randy

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Do ya think Debi might feel up to hammering something out too?

Scott,

oh come on! Join in! I wanna see your letter opener idea too! 

ive got three or four ideas for different ones myself, I think I’ll make a few designs an pick what looks best for mine,

I have the horse head bottle opener I made at the class you did up here on the wood stove. Everybody looks at the wood stove so I display things on it. 

I don't know Billy, I'll think of something. I have time, I can keep you wondering and still beat the deadline. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Aric,

you gonna join in on the fun?

You always got neat stuff your workin on, I bet ya could come up with some awesome letter openers!

Jerry,

just don’t move slower the molasses in Alaskas January! The deadline is the end of October! Lol :P

Brian,

thanks for gettin things kicked off!

Been working on a design in my head past few days. Working OT so wont get to the forge till the weekend. But i am in.

I never really thought letter openers marketable what with all the digital, social media, and texting now a days who uses a letter opener anymore. Then it hit me, i do and my wife both. I generally refer to mine as a pocket knife but my wife keeps one of those new fangled plastic ones on her end table.