I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The eyes are not rivets. I first considered punching thru holes. I punched first from the front side and as I was punching from the back, I decided to leave the slug centered in the middle of the thickness. It looked cool and the eyes are still seen on both sides. The use of rivets as raised eyes is a great idea too. I started with a piece of 1/4in plate 2in x8in and my intention was for it be made from one piece.

Doc, i thought it was a bird till i read the post. Could be a goose, just as scary as a ghost ya know. Or you could also label it a turkey after Halloween so it can be for Thanksgiving as well and of course a Christmas goose. 2 birds, 1 ghost? (ok that is a long stretch for that pun i will admit)

Nice work, i can rarely get my punch holes lined up that close front to back. 

I guess it does look like a bird in the photo. When I took the picture the ghost was vertical, when uploading it turned 90 deg, I wasn't able to find a quick way to rotate it. All the more reason to add an elbow bend to the arms.  It is all about interpretation I guess.

My round hole punching is getting much better, I can match the back and front. It the slot punches I have difficulty with, can't seem to get them to line up. More practice is the remedy.

Thomas, I have another idea for a jack-o-lantern themed letter opener. Stay tuned.

TwistedWillow, this looked like fun when you posted it, so I gave it a try. Here's my entry:

My first ever knife-shaped object (letter opener) is mild steel derived from the classic "blacksmith knife" design, handle hot-coated with goop and some champaign bronze Rustoleum on the transition between blade and handle. Hope you all like it.

20220910_105341.jpg

It was definitely a learning experience. I've done basic twists before, but had never drawn out a blade area, so I did a 3" test blade first leaving it on my bar stock and practiced with the 1x30 belt sander I picked up at a yard sale. Originally I wanted the curled taper on the handle to be a thumb rest, but I didn't draw it out enough. This actually works better as there is a spot where the twist ends and transition begins that allows the thumb to rest perfectly, and the curve fits my hand almost perfect. The handle could be a TAD bit longer. I also learned how to make the oval draw out from square which I absolutely love with the curvature.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:22 PM, Justor JeiGallo said:

TwistedWillow, this looked like fun when you posted it, so I gave it a try. Here's my entry:

Justor, that has a nice look to it.  I’ve never made a knife either and I went simple but I like what you did better.   

I just flattened some round scrap and had a few simple goals:

1  end up with something that looks like a knife 

2 get a handle attached that will stay attached 

3 don’t cut myself 

It’s not finished yet    I have the  handle drying after using some JB weld epoxy and then I’ll need to do some final sanding and finish. 

it doesn’t feel like I did much forge work so I’ll probably try something else in addition to this.   

9B1E0FAB-CF74-4C90-A894-4FA33381C0C0.jpeg

94FB0FA1-BFF2-46E8-9E4F-C3FD24F1D810.jpeg

D994C0BE-D5F5-4050-8A03-90814BEF1255.jpeg

2D9BAB65-2D19-48AC-A8B5-5C3356BFF86C.jpeg

C12341F2-89BB-457F-A9F7-AA59851DF843.jpeg

2CAF9EEB-2C98-4874-BDE5-A3525A6A20ED.jpeg

C9824ADA-265C-421A-B21B-B6348E9C8231.jpeg

6CBD3018-A138-4C1D-AE33-1B6D8ECC69E9.jpeg

566887C3-8F29-4556-93D6-7A73482D6CD0.jpeg

Rojo, you might try quenching it in super quench (no tempering).  It will not make it as hard as a quenched piece of high carbon steel but it is surprisingly hard.  In my experience a file will just barely bite.  You can find the recipie by googling "super quench."  When I make RR spike knives I will use it because that makes them the hardest that steel can be.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Dave, i like that wood. 

Rojo, cool idea with the wrench.

Buzzkill, some eyes and a mouth on the "ball" end would make it look like a snake.

The wife prefers something a bit smaller that a big ol' dagger looking opener so yesterday i tried again to make a more compact one. 3 attempts to get something i am happy with. 1/4" garage door spring. Getting that inside curve sharpened was... not real easy lets say. Dremel tool and a round file. No heat treating. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6da2229934f36b559edf0931c03c269a.jpeg