I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too John, I love the feature but not the tool except as a one off or a short cut "how too" tool. HIs having to be careful not to hit the previous "divot?" should be all it takes to get the modify gears turning in folks heads.

My first thought was to make the tool from flat bar say 1/2" x 1" x 1" on a welded handle. A fuller with semi-spherical ends like a hack or power hammer top tool. EZ PZ.

With the tool taller than the feature you're making you can get with the program and use a BIG hammer and let it overlap previous impressions. With both ends of the fuller ground to shape you won't be walking around to the other side of the anvil to make the next impression. With a two strike weight hammer and a two sided tool it might go fast enough to make two impressions per heat. The only other step would be rolling the piece, that'd let it cool between smooshes.

I mean HECK a spring tool under a treadle hammer or screw press and you could hold the piece with tongs and get several strikes between heats or do them all under a power hammer.

I'm thinking about what kind of swage I'll need to apply the feature to round stock. Visualize a diamond twist tight enough to be dragon scales and forging a sine-wave spinal crest on it. I'm thinking I'd use a larger radius rounded fuller for a more gentle longer sine ridge and HOPE some of the scaly diamond twist survives for texture. 

Thanks again for making the letter opener and posting the link John, you have my imagination rolling!

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm on the road for work and so can't get into the shop to take a photo, but the tool I used in my fly press is similar to what you describe as a PH hack, just mounted on a stem to fit in the ram. Both ends are rounded, so I could punch one impression with one end, roll the bar 90 degrees, punch the second impression, roll back, etc. It was a little tricky, though, since the line-of-sight to the back corner of the tool wasn't great, making proper positioning a challenge. You can see on the second peak from the right where I got two divots a bit too close together, making a sharp peak instead of a smooth sine curve.

For the next one, I'm thinking about using a piece of angle iron as a fence and a piece of 16ga. sheet as a kiss block, and working it all from the front. I'll need to flip the bar end-for-end, but with better visibility and less time wasted on positioning, I still think it will go faster and look better.

If you mount the fence to the guides for the hammer they won't be interfered with by the divots. Consistent thickness is good. 

A spacing guide is what I'm thinking about now. Have you considered mounting a laser sight? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ahhhh! Shades of the feed on a hand cranked drill press! I'll have to think about the idea but I'm seeing problems at first blush. 1 how and where will it hold the piece? 2 how does it cope with rotating the piece every blow? 

I like the idea but will have to think of a way to make it automatic enough to advance the work too. 

My first blush idea was a clamp on, tab say a short piece of angle iron connected to the back of the bar away from the dies. The operator would move it in the index when s/he rotated the stock. For example a 9/16" index for a 1/2" die. 

You can set your screw press for depth or is that one of the missing bits? 

The fence could be away from the dies on the end that hasn't met the dies so there is no interference from the divots.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm missing the depth stop, but a friend of mine who coaches a robotics team has had one of his students 3D print a model of a replacement. Once I get to test that, we'll see about machining one in steel. 

In the mean time, I think a kiss block would work just fine, both for this and for other applications.

24 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'll have to think about the idea but I'm seeing problems at first blush.

Hey, I didn’t say it was a good idea!

Kiss blocks are easy good solutions.

I didn't say it was a bad one. We were brainstorming weren't we? Everybody throws out ideas no matter how outlandish and we sift for good ones. If your fellow brainstormers don't contribute by poking holes and asking "how" questions in addition to donating wild thoughts they aren't serious players, are they?

All the unused ideas a good session generates are there to bank for future projects, problems, etc. No?

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a very similar treadle hammer to the one in John's shop and the design works very well.  I find the advantage is that it hits precisely time after time.  The fact that it hits harder than you can by hand is somewhat off set by the fact that subsequent blows are slower than what you can do by hand.

Handled tools (actual handle or held with a tongs or vise grip) are a necessity.  I had a punch which I wasn't holding exactly straight kick out to the side and I got a partial impact on a finger.  It wasn't right for 6 months to a year and that wasn't as disasterous as it could have been.

I suggest that if you can find someone with one in their shop (unfortunately, it is about 1000 driving miles from Vail to Laramie) and test drive it before you get serious about acquiring or building one.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Trying to come up with something different amongst all this stiff competition is definitely a challenge. The blade is spring steel. Glass,steel,fire,hammer don't mix well. Speaking of John Switzer, wear your safety glasses.

letteropener2.jpg

Slumping marbles takes practice, you have to heat slowly and cool even more slowly, an over night temper isn't out of line. A friend of mine slumps marbles almost casually but not me. Oh noooo, not ME! <sniff>

I bought some torchwork glass "noodles" an a little bright red frit which is much more forgiving glass and comes in lots of colors. Below are with red, glass frit.  I screwed up the church key much to my embarrassment. 

Frosty The Lucky.

IMG_1309.JPG.43d6a8beadfd65a2fe02e6b6eb829249.JPG

Thanks for the info George. I might invite my self over next year. We want to explore your neck of the woods. 

Really nice Lary.

Frosty I agree that slumping and torchwork in general takes practice and equipment. My MAPP torch works ok on mild glass and annealing is iffy without an oven. I like the frit on iron idea, I imagine it would stick together in the kiln before the iron scaled up too much. Might have to try

Something thin like the little split crosses fuse frit nicely on a hot brick next to the propane forge opening. The dragon's breath slumps the glass and the brick takes hours to cool if covered with a piece of Kaowool or placed in the forge chamber next to the one I'm using. 

Molten glass sticks to everything and leaves long glass strands like spider thread. It's messy but fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guy's. The tricky part is heating bending/tapping the material around the marble before the steel gets to cold or the glass fractures/shatters. I've got idea's on how to get around some of this on my to do list.

Lary, I'd try shaping the "claws" or other mounting method to just about the size to accept the marble and then anneal the area.  Once it has cooled and is more malleable I would insert the marble and close it up cold.  The success will be dependent on what kind of steel you are using.  You might try an experimental piece of the same steel to see how malleable it is after annealling.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."