Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/5/2017 at 5:44 AM, Daswulf said:

The test pieces are still soaking in the permanganate right now. Didn't mess with it yesterday. I've been reading that I may need to heat the solution. May get back to it tonight. And I'm sure breaks in the chrome or a scuffed/ scratched surface would help. 

Try reversing polarity in your electrolysis tank using the Potassium permanganate solution as electrolyte.

Frosty The Lucky.

Attempted to make a small pair of scrolling tongs out of 1/2" square bar.... 'attempted' being the operative word.

On the plus side, no stress cracks, burns, or other complete failures like my first attempt at tongs.
On the negative side, the reigns aren't very well matched, the boss area is quite small, and I generally lost patience wanting a quick result.

fHxpc4y.jpg

The kids are in bed, and the anvil isn't very quiet (yet), so i've had to stop for the evening and will hopefully try them out tomorrow.

If I cut these reigns off, and welded them onto the boss/bit of my other pair, i'd have an ok set... maybe the next ones will be closer.

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherBiker said:

I generally lost patience wanting a quick result.

That's the moment you need to put things down and back slowly away from the anvil. Best case scenario: you mess up your workpiece. Worst case: property damage, injury, or death.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:34 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Very nice..    Did you punch the legs and ring with square holes or round?

Also  be sure  to keep in mind the handle position and handle weight need to be taken into consideration when mounted on the web between feet as this can make the trivet side heavy and slightly unstable,   this can be offset with putting the handle in line with a leg/foot or make the opposite leg/foot a little heavier for proper balance..  Heart trivets usually plenty of weight at the offset side.. 

Otherwise you nailed it..   Excellent work on all your projects.. Really making me want to be a better smith myself.. One of the highest compliments I know how to give.. 

The level of work you are producing is awesome.. Congrats to you Sir..  I know there is a love for blacksmithing as your dedication to learning and practice says it all..  

Wow,  thank you very much!!!

I punched the legs, though with round holes. I thought about doing square, but I have already made a few trivets and used them a lot, and haven't ever had any problems with the legs coming loose. This on is for me, so if they ever do get lose a little tap and no big deal.

I was worried about it being to heavy and even possibly tipping over on it's own, was glad to see that it was able to stand on its own, and rather stable too. Will keep that in mind for the next one though.

Thank you very much, that means a lot coming from you!!!

Nice job Chris on your tongs!

littleblacksmith 

Almost finished with the stake anvil. Forged out the horn part then a Lot of grinding. I know how to do another one better now IF I make another. Next up is a little more grinding/sanding maybe a little engraving then to risk it all and harden it. I can see the ring on the top where the torsion bar was riveted into the hammer eye so who knows how hardening will go. Heck all I know is that it all spark tested high carbon. I'll try oil first then brine if needed and cross my fingers the whole time. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Main body face width is 2" and length is 10 3/4". 

No idea. Very cool find tho. One thing is for sure, I'm hoping for no tings while hardening mine. I did see a neat one made of rr track top where they cut the webbing into the stake part. Also one of my original ideas was to just upset the end of the 1 1/4" torsion bar into a block stake anvil. I saved that part of the torsion bar to try that later. 

Not in the shop, but realized that the persistent irritation in my left eye was a grain of grinder grit stuck at the edge of the iris. Fortunately, it was not imbedded so deeply that I couldn’t get it out with some careful Q-tippage. Much better now.