• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forged out the scrolls and mounting brackets for a sign commission. Lots of work still to go, but happy with progress so far. 

68D8191E-220C-4D21-997D-0B65C952B59C.jpeg

611D923D-87EC-41ED-84E4-147B1CEA6B76.jpeg

Also played around with cutting sheet metal with a torch tip that was  MUCH too big. 

8778F9B9-7E2D-4C1E-B0B8-342D57977DE8.jpeg

I know oxypropane is no good for welding, but it was pretty amazing watching the metal around the cutting flame flow back together once the torch had passed. 

I like the bracket. Very nice, like to make something like that for my sign.

I did not like the fire set i was making so i lopped off the handles drew them out and added baskets. Need t weld the rings. Pain in the behind trying to make them round with out welding. 

IMG_20211111_170449.thumb.jpg.cec6a0b96e38073b2da5f54a06be06df.jpg

Look for pipe, or large sockets to use as a form to make the rings round.  If you want to just butt the ends together, make the stock overlap and then cut the both ends of the rings at the same time.  This eliminates the flat portion at the beginning of the forming of the ring.  

If you need more than one ring, then make a several wraps around the form and cut the rings apart all at the same time.

JHCC will that be an inside or outside sign?  If outside you may want to plan for some stays to keep wind torque down.  /|\

Having wound, cut and butted; thousands of rings for my mail shirt.  I can say that winding and cutting and "twisting the ring" so the ends butt is a great way to do this without welding.  For larger rings; forge brazing can then also be done.

Have you looked at "Schöne alte Wirtshausschilder"    a great book for blacksmith made signs; though many are definitely over the top for most of us!   

Looking at how they engineered ones that have lasted a considerable amount of time can be handy even if you don't go overboard with gilding and repousse.

My main concern at the moment is the sheet metal rooster that will be mounted atop the scroll in the top right corner, wondering if some kind of attachment that would allow it to twist in a high wind would be worth the time and trouble.

John: Mount it on a spring return?

Gandalf: How do you figure running out of propane as a fail? It's not like you're up against a deadline or have to travel a long way. Waiting another day to fire that baby up won't hurt a thing. Maybe put a light bulb in it to help ensure it's dry.

We'll be watching for pics of it all bright and glowy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had thought of using a pipe but the only one i could find was galvanized and i did not want to chance wrapping hot iron around it and burning off the zinc. I did not think it would be so much of a PITA to make a circle with out welding the ends.  

Wind can also be a pain. My sign blew down this past spring. 

Did you do the end as a separate piece? It looks like you didn't get enough adhesion between it and the inside casting, probably because the surface of the latter is quite smooth.

You rigidized the wool, right? If so, I think you might be able to get away with using it as is, since the fibers aren't exposed to the flame or the workpiece.