• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Today, I made clinker. 

(Actually, I made a bunch of stuff, but I'm not really happy with most of it. A rather frustrating session in the forge.)

I know days like that. Call it a night and make better things next forge time. 

1 hour ago, John McPherson said:

Yesterday, I did a demo for the Boy Scouts in the open and was rained out. First time I have ever had an anvil rust *while* I was demonstrating!

What were you going to demo for the boyscouts? 

Demos at different locations for the last three days. Pack, unpack, pack, unpack - just gotta get a lighter anvil block! One location was an open day at our local railway so I put together a display of railway spike stuff.

Forged a lot of bulls head things - camp oven lifters, billy lifters, hat hooks etc.

Also spent a lot of time talking. The last picture shows what happens to a rail spike when you talk too much and forget to turn down the forge blower. Folks watching thought it was funny. (And it was sparktacular to pull out!)

rail spikes.JPG

demo bulls.JPG

burnt spike.JPG

I was gonna say.

Littleblacksmith 

10 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I'm game to listen :). Tell us a story. Please?

As a boyscout I never got to meet a blacksmith all through Eagle Scout. Sad really.  No one to teach or inspire metal work. 

Das, check out what's available here in Virginia for the youth thru the "Blue Ridge Mountains Council"

Okay, here's one thing from yesterday that came out okay. This is a section of truck leaf spring made into a scrolling hardy (since my anvil lacks a side shelf). I think I may need to touch the edge up a bit with a file.

IMG_3558.JPG

Reverse view showing doubled-over stem:

IMG_3560.JPG

And here's the spring cut to shape before bending. I do love that PortaBand.

IMG_3552.JPG

Aus,

After the spectacular railroad spike fireworks, ends. Quench it, pick it up and announce, solemnly, that "the local termite problem is getting out of hand".

And Parliament should DO something!

Just sayyin,

Regards to all the folks down under from us, up over.

SLAG,

The spectacle and display will make your performance dwell in the spectators memory for years to come.

It is surely worth the cost of a spike.

6 hours ago, ausfire said:

rail spikes.JPG

There's some really nice looking stuff there but I have a question about a couple of the pieces. What is that you have right under the toasting fork? The two mirror image pieces. I could see them used for a couple things but don't want to assume anything and have my foot lodged in my mouth. 

Btw, I may have to copy a couple of them to see if they are capable of doing what I'm thinking even if that's not what they are. :) 

Hi Michael,

The pair under the toasting fork are hangers for plant baskets. The spike is split from the head end and the other end forged into a hook. They are actually upside down in the pic. They look good on the walls of the railway station holding colourful hanging baskets.

I'll find a close up picture of one:

spike hook.jpg

This was done today and yesterday. Sorta restored an old rivet forge I dug up a couple years ago. Yesterday I forged a bulldog bottle opener, a feather wall hook, and a business card holder. Finished up a screw driver forged from 3/4" coil spring, and handled a 1 1/2lb rounding hammer. Also forged a little stump anvil. Quickest thing I've done, just a block of mild steel, a square taper welded to other end, and then I took one heat and upset the top a little just for fun. 

Littleblacksmith 

LBS 02.jpg

LBS 01.jpg

LBS 06.jpg

LBS 07.jpg

LBS 08.jpg

LBS 03.jpg

LBS 04.jpg

LBS 05.jpg

LBS 09.jpg

LBS 10.jpg

LBS 11.jpg

No, Das, my bandsaw is just for wood. I cut the spike with a thin cutting disc on the angle grinder as far as I could and then (laboriously) with a hacksaw.

And yes, I agree with you about LBS's work. The copper rivets on the card holder look really good. I am constantly astounded by the quality of his work.