I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

More roadkill: about a foot and a half of 3/8" x 3" leaf spring. I'm thinking guillotine....

Reminds me of a piece of leaf spring that showed up in the driveway after we had a load of soil delivered. The awesome thing about having a bumpy driveway, is the presents that some people leave you.:ph34r:

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's black, you smote it. You're a blacksmith. The level of your experience doesn't deny you the title

Appreciate it. It's a mental thing I guess. It's weird learning a trade backwards. I can make knives and armor, but I'm still learning how to do things like tongs and these little hooks. Proficiency in the basics is something I require of myself, despite experiences with more advanced techniques.

Greetings Randell,

Just an old boys 2c.. It looks to me that you are working your metal to hot.. Bright orange to yellow and heavy brushing between heats  would yield a much smoother surface..  Practice practice practice..  You will do well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I recently acquired a brush - a proper butcher-block brush with flat "bristles" - and it's done a world of good in the finish of forged products. A wire brush is better than nothing, but a butcher-block brush/scraper really smooths things out, removes scale, and even smooths some tool marks.

Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it. The axe pendant is really clever. As for the knife, are you planning on straightening the tang? It's hard to drill a curved hole in a handle!:)

No, gonna split the handle and chisel it out, the put it back together. No external pins

Greetings Randell,

Just an old boys 2c.. It looks to me that you are working your metal to hot.. Bright orange to yellow and heavy brushing between heats  would yield a much smoother surface..  Practice practice practice..  You will do well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Yeah, working on acquiring one of the good brushes. Until then I'm doing my best with the old wire brush, water to pop scale, and a brass brush to finish.

Oh, forgot to mention: heat treated a cold-cut hardy, reforged a hot-cut top tool, and started another project that will be described when it's closer to finished. Also discovered another use for the hold-down: to keep my forging bridge in place while I'm using the little bick on the the end (for the hearts on the arms of the cross). It's a BIG improvement; it previously had a tendency to bounce all over, but now is steady as a rock. I'll take a picture when I'm next in the shop.

This is from last weekend, forged a couple hammers. These hammers I didn't have a striker for, but that morning I put together a blacksmiths guillotine, and so I just used that for it. Let me tell ya, those hammers take alot when your are using a hand hammer and not a 12lb sledge! also a plant hanger and my first rams head that is on the handle of a dutch oven lid lifter.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_7022[1].JPG

IMG_7023[1].JPG

IMG_7024[1].JPG

IMG_7025[1].JPG

That plant bracket is wonderful! All your work looks great.

Thanks yall!

littleblacksmith 

LBS, if I might ask, how did you go about putting the texture on your plant hanger limbs?  Hammer or texture tool of some sort?  Work looks beautiful!!

Trying to get the basics consistent so I can feel right calling myself a blacksmith. Working on my scrolls, curls and twists. Made a J hook with a twist and an S hook with a twist. Also put some more time into a knife I've been working on, and made a small axe pendant for the girlfriend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(that got a little weird, I tried quoting Randell and trying to lose the picture ended up with multiple copies, tried to clean it up and ended up without any quote so I had to cut and paste in the 5th EDIT!)

Looking pretty good Randell. Need to back off the air some more you're still working too hot. The hooks look good the twists are consistent, the hooks are turned smoothly with a pretty pleasing profile. The hooks on the "S" hook could be evened up, When you're doing S hooks you want the hooks either the SAME or really different. What you're calling a "J" hook is a "Drive hook" you drive the straight point in a timber, etc. the hook could use a finial scroll so it doesn't tear a coat, hung from it. Turn finial scrolls so they face outwards from the hook or they tend to snag things hung from them. 

Check with the butcher or restaurant supply for a "Butcher Block Brush". You have to go to a powered cup or wheel brush to do a better job of cleaning up forged steel.

I'd call that a blacksmith's work. Some practice and a little mentoring and you'll be giving lessons. No fooling, you have a good eye it's just untrained. Looking good Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty! The butcher brush is in my list this month, I watched a video by Joe a week or so ago and realized it wasn't just a wire brush like I've been using!

A drive hook, ok, I'll look up a proper J hook for Wednesday! I hammered it into my cabin wall to hold my keys and ball cap. I tried scrolling out the tip "after" I had curled it, and just failed so I tapered it back out before I destroyed the whole thing. Gotta remember to scroll first.

I've been trying to get the shiny brass finish with a different brush but it doesn't seem to work, does that take a special brush or technique too?

I'm trying to do the basic projects in Simm's and McRaven's books, getting my horse back in front of the cart.

The little axe got cooked pretty hard, I'm practicing small welds (folding instead of upsetting) and it got away from me in the fire. I'm pretty sure the knife is cooked, I quenched and then stuffed it back in the forge still dripping oil... Brain fart. No huge flare-up but it textured it really weird.

Running too hot is something that is taking a while to figure out. I work in full sun and have to try to gauge the color against the coal glow, I put up a piece of sheet metal to give me a contrast but it didn't help much. I'm looking for "nearly orange" most of the time, but by the time I get it into the shade to see it, it's usually a deeper red. Is that sufficient?

... Or my brain checks out while I'm cranking and when I come back it's scorched...

Randell, you need to get a brass brush for burnishing. Find yourself a snowboarding base brush ... they have very fine bristles  and give a rich brass colour. No special technique required. Just make sure you apply it hot, but not too hot. Nowhere near red. You will soon get to gauge the correct heat.

Lorelei Simms has some great ideas in her book. I started off making many of the projects she suggested. You're on a winner there.

I would find it very difficult to work in full sun. Apart from the uncomfortable heat, just seeing the colours of the steel would be frustrating. Orange is better than 'nearly orange', and no, deeper red is not sufficient for forging. You are really making work for yourself at that heat.

Randell, what Aus said on brass brushing, and check your brass brush with a magnet, some are steel brushes that are brass coated and won't work.   It works at a black heat. Too hot and it doesn't take, too cold and it doesn't take or it will wipe off. You could just try it at different times in the black heat to get a feel when it works best. Give it a good wire brushing first while still in the orange to red range then wait for the black heat to try it. 

Havnt had any forge time lately since I've been working in and around the house but I did sneak in there last night to weld up the feet on my demo anvil stand ( pictures later) and started on a dishing swage. I'm using a 4 1/2" grinder and a 3" roloc on an air die grinder. So far the spoon swages are getting longer than I'd like when I get the depth I need. I'll try a more worn down stone on the 4 1/2" grinder next. So far tho it's looking usable. I was getting too tired last night and had to put down the power tools before I ended up making an oops post. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg