I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Finishing up stuff for the Country Fair next Saturday; I have some steel chili peppers that I needed to paint but I was afraid they were oily or waxed. Popped them in the forge and wire brushed them again---nothing petrochemical on them now!  Finished off the hot work on 2 more rasptlesnakes. Drilled a wind bell and did two support rods for ones I had on hand.  Clear coated 3 rasptlesnakes.  Still have to wire brush the new two and coat them and then make *4* bottle cap tails (close to 100 bottle caps will be used.)

One year I sold out and one year I broke even; Oh well my church is putting it on; so the fees go to my church anyway and I tithe on what I make on top of that  and enjoy the event and get in good with the local VFD, (both my pastor and his wife are VFD'rs)

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried cold hammering it to work harden the fork and make it stiffer?

No, but I will now. I think I may have also not quenched it at all, though if it is 1018 I'm not sure that makes much difference.

Sounds like you're pretty busy! I'd love to see the pictures of your peppers and rasptlesnakes! 

I'll have to work on paw prints then. What distinguishes horse prints from horse shoes? The lack of groove and holes?

Ayup though hopefully a farrier will chime in with the difference between shod and unshod. I'd recognize the difference immediately but I don't think I can adequately describe the difference in prints. You can probably find images online pretty easily. While we were playing an RPG here I found all kinds of critter prints to let the players cross paths with either a badger or wolverine based on a die roll. 

Frosty The Lucky.

JHCC, That's a clever hot cut!

Thanks! @Lou L and I had made something similar last week from 1/2" x 3" leaf spring (from an armored car), forming the shank by squishing the thickness down to 1" square. I didn't have a striker to do the same in my home forge, so I took a piece of 3/8" x 3" leaf spring, rolled one end up like a burrito (or an egg roll, depending on your culinary preferences), squared it up, cut it off the parent bar, and seated it in the hardy hole with some hefty blows from a 16# sledge.

Another source for a brass brush is an old suede shoe brush.

They were common a few years back when suede shoes were all the rage.

They come up regularly at church rummage sales, usually situated in a 'grab' box of odds & ends. (those boxes are always worth a careful look, they sometimes have very valuable things, that the vendor does realize their function nor value).

Remember do not step on the King's blue suede shoes.

Regards to all I-Forge Iron enthusiasts,

SLAG.

Figured I'd add the picture of the hot cut @JHCC and I made together last Thursday.  This was the final design we settled on after thinking through some more complex options.  We should have done two that night...duh....

I kept JHCC's sample leaf on the anvil as well.  I haven't gotten another chance in the shop since then.  It was a busy weekend for sure with my son's fifth birthday party and then the "we have way too much food left over" party the next day.

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.00425519756ff2893ed251d37c163143.JPG

Made this shoehorn about 5 weeks ago before my second hip surgery. 35" long. RR spike forge welded to the 3/8x3/4 that I drew down. Decided to do something fancy for the twist. Rounded out opposite corners and layed in some copper wire on opposite sides then did a simple twist quick. Learned a bit about trying to keep that wire in there and how I'm going to try doing it next time. It was fun, finish is rough yet. Just wanted it done for me. I'll finish it when I'm recovered. Works great though!

20170826_204746.jpg

20170826_204735.jpg

20170826_204850.jpg

On 10/3/2017 at 1:25 AM, Tommie Hockett said:

That is a purty shoe horn. I really like the wire (inlay).... i reckon is what it would be called

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was an inlay or something else...? Lol I slit it slightly and put it in, but some parts popped out. Worked decent though 

On 10/3/2017 at 1:24 AM, Iron Poet said:

It hungers. Also the dies are 1/2" thick and 4" wide. Both are made of mild steel and will more than likely be completely fine, going to test out some square and round ones later.

I need to make one of these in the worst way! Excellent work

Attempt at a calla lilly and hummingbird. Bird is a started it's life as a piece of 1 1/4x1/2 about 1 3/4" long or so. Needs a lot of help yet. Just when you make something to sell, mom always has priority. She took it over quickly 

20170703_180147.jpg

Yes, that's an inlay and a pretty nice one. The bit of rough imperfection is very attractive, I like it.

There's a method of incising that leaves the slit larger at the bottom so when you drive the inlay material in it upsets in the bottom of the incision and won't come out.

I've thought about making an incision and brazing it full, then filing or sanding the face clean. I have a tendency to get too fancy though and . . . Well, I haven't tried it, it's in one of my idea books.

It's a nice looking shoe horn, good way to give your joints a rest while you heal up. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Finished this comission knife and handed it to the customer. (Pfuh, right on time... was a bit tight schedule.)

I call this the Brutality Dagger :) it's a nice little beast. Overall length is around 13", blade length: 8", width: 2,5", max thickness: 1/4". It weighs 890g / ~2 lbs.
The handle is composed of brass, hide, black walnut and copper. All upcycled materials. (And the customer demanded the surface style as it seems. No grinding except on the last 3mm of the edge. And heavily hammered texture. Was fun ;) )

Bests:

Gergely

59d90e8c81bdc_201709kesvasstibor.thumb.jpg.de0837fad40cd2ebf56a6bbee697949c.jpg

Forged at my Church's Country Fair. Did a bunch of S hooks---commission at the fair! some more links for my "s hook chain", a rasptlesnake, chili pepper from pipe,  Lastly a commission to make 2 marshmallow/weiner roasters for a fellow to give to his grandkids.  Lots more talking to people than forge; but I'm still tired from standing all day.  I made a profit even though the stuff I thought would sell didn't and stuff that hasn't sold the last two times did sell.

Even better a fellow said he had some old blacksmithing tools from a friend that passed on he wants to *give* to someone who will use them----here take my card!

Also I may have a bunch of new students including one that lives about 2 driveways down the road from me. (OK so about a mile here in the country).

I sold one of my 80 pound 4x8x8" steel pieces for an anvil too.

like the knife Gergely. It's always sorta nice when the customer wants a "rustic" look for knives, a lot less grinding involved! What's the guard made from?

Littleblacksmith 

17 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

like the knife Gergely. It's always sorta nice when the customer wants a "rustic" look for knives, a lot less grinding involved! What's the guard made from?

Littleblacksmith 

Thank you, Mark! I cannot complain :) grinding is not my favorite thing... The guard was a piece of scrap 20x10m flat stock. Plain MS. Textured with the same hammer used on the "curly bark" candle holders. The customer saw those on my FB page and told me he likes them. Also he asked would it be possible to texture the blade surface with the same pattern. That was a no-no ;) blade heat treated already and all plus I think edged tools don't supposed to have that sort of deep texture in them. - Long story short I made the guard with this surface, and he liked it very much. Win-win.

Bests:

Gergely