I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I love the feet on your anvil stand Das, very steampunky, I'm in favor.

Gergely: Over here shavings are long thin and tend to curl like a ribbon. If they're thick enough to break, they're chips or cuttings. I love your candle holders excellent texture and the flow is very pleasing to the eye.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LBS, if I might ask, how did you go about putting the texture on your plant hanger limbs?  Hammer or texture tool of some sort?  Work looks beautiful!!

Thank you Elijah and thank you too arkie! The texturing is done with two tools. I have a bottom tool in the hardy and then a hand hammer. The bottom one is textured using a cut off wheel in the angle grinder, giving somewhat random but somewhat parallel lines in. Then same with the face of the hammer. If I was just using a hammer, as I rotate the bar the anvil face would damage the texturing on the  other side. Then you Get the steel hot, and place on the bottom tool and strike with the hammer rotating as you go. Hope this helps!

Littleblacksmith 

But by the way Gergely, I really like those candle holders! A simple piece but fun to look at. Loving it, keep it going. Hope your thumb gets better!

Nice candle holders Gergely. I like the textured look of them. 

Daswulf, I like your anvil stand. Very creative.

I knocked out the old handles of a couple of hammers. Been working on shaping the new handles. I'm actually doing that sitting at my kitchen table right now...big mess but hey, I am also the housekeeper so no one can gripe at me huh? 

I haven't weighed it yet Zeroclick. Doubt I'll have time to tonight since I'll be packing and leaving for Michigan right after work.  I had thought about adding sand inside the legs but I changed my mind on that. It could still be done but I want to try it out first. 

Thank you Elijah and thank you too arkie! The texturing is done with two tools. I have a bottom tool in the hardy and then a hand hammer. The bottom one is textured using a cut off wheel in the angle grinder, giving somewhat random but somewhat parallel lines in. Then same with the face of the hammer. If I was just using a hammer, as I rotate the bar the anvil face would damage the texturing on the  other side. Then you Get the steel hot, and place on the bottom tool and strike with the hammer rotating as you go. Hope this helps!

Littleblacksmith 

But by the way Gergely, I really like those candle holders! A simple piece but fun to look at. Loving it, keep it going. Hope your thumb gets better!

Thanks for the texturing info. The cutoff disc sounds like the way to go. I'm going to have to make a hardy tool and textured hammer now!

Thank you Guys and Gals for the nice words and for the help naming that thing :)

The hand is all right, thank God, it's not the best, but hammering doesn't cause any pain. And overall it heals quickly.

Yesterday after resting the whole morning I quickly hammered out 40 half done S-hooks for the kids to finish today at the demo. And a new set of PH tooling was made for tea light holder making. Today I'm testing it.

Daswulf: for the weight of the stand - my mobile anvil stand has very sturdy construction (60x40mm heavy wall tubing and 3/4" plate) and it still weighs half of the stump I used to carry to demos. The stump was ~50kg/110lbs, the stand is around 25kg.

Bests:

Gergely

Spent a few hours visiting @Lou L in his forge -- made a hot-cut out of armored car leaf spring (me directing, him striking) and shared some techniques: I showed him how I make leaves, and he showed me what he learned at the last NEB meeting about penny scrolls. A fun time was had by all.

Tooling tested, I'm pretty happy with it, although I had to change the upper part of the tool.

The result comes in two heats: 1. Texturing and hitting the logo in. 2. Sinking the hole under the power hammer. Surface cleaning and carnauba finish applied.

Want to try this with different textures.

Bests:

Gergely

59cded6ca414c_201709mecsestarto2.thumb.jpg.1e4d2e652ff6b8745f9139e0edbbb54b.jpg59cded6eacc70_201709mecsestarto3.thumb.jpg.748b98e7faaf551ce8fc25bbc2ecfbfb.jpg 

Gergely I really like these tealight holders.

I've been thinking of giving it ago, but was trying to come up with the best way to get the divet by hand.

The best Idea was to heat up the plate and then lay it across my vice jaws that will be just open wide enough and then drive a piece of 1" round into it and get it to crumple.

That does sound like a much safer option :D and a lot more stable.

I also had a bit of a google following thinking about the process, and came across the loops of 10mm round bar welded to a shank to fit into the hardy hole and then hammering into that to provide the divot. Which seems a lot more sensible than my original suggestion. (Kind of wish I could delete that original idea)

Just need to practice my welding more so I can build up a bit more tooling.

Dear Jim and All,

I have pretty much the same tools for the task - weird, huh? ;) Only the ring part is applied to the bottom die of the power hammer. So it sits on a plate. The upper part is a plain cylinder, because my original tool was too big dia.

Today I did my demo allright - no problems. But before that I managed to struck out six more tea light holders. (Not sold any one of them, it's the end of the month...)

Bests:

Gergely

59ce98b9968e9_201709mecsesthat1.thumb.jpg.769d1c339423cdba5e39a1fcb9053ffe.jpg59ce98bb737fd_201709mecsesthat2.thumb.jpg.09785692825078c4ed0fb29b4aabda6a.jpg59ce98bd70179_201709mecsesthat3.thumb.jpg.e111a8a27645bc5f53a3d13ab134d449.jpg

Greetings Gergely, 

I have been known to use my fly press to control the debth of the squish with the tools.  My treadle hammer also works quite well. I taught a friend how to make them and at his last demo / sale he sold out at 40 bucks each.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Finished my spearhead today. This was my first spearhead, as well as my first double edged blade and my first time doing a blade on a belt grinder. Lots of firsts! I made the blade and haft separately and arc welded them together.  The blade steel was an old coil spring. Now I just have to handle it and try it out. Look out every possum, coon, skunk, groundhog, deer, coyote and sasquatch in the neighborhood!   Sorry about the pic quality. I tried enhancing the bottom one but it didn't help much.

0929171516a.thumb.jpg.8a3edfcff8b43a997504ff195fe5f4c1.jpg

0929171511.jpg