• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that is why we have sweatbands! I use a keffiyeh/shemagh tied to completely cover my forehead, right down to the top of my (safety!) glasses -- it wicks away all the perspiration and also keeps coal dust and soot out of my hair.

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

And that is why we have sweatbands! I use a keffiyeh/shemagh tied to completely cover my forehead, right down to the top of my (safety!) glasses -- it wicks away all the perspiration and also keeps coal dust and soot out of my hair.

Actually I wear diaper cloths on my head :) It's simply the best to hold back my sweat. I can wear those like bandanas. 

Finally today finished the tooling for throwing knife handles. And made a prototype. 59f8d28e95f93_201710dobokes2proto1.thumb.jpg.de8e105a1c22c81e1cea7eba70fd423c.jpg

Then the inspiration struck and made this:

59f8d2197aa27_201710gombacsiga1.thumb.jpg.a2373cc36ab4dff2243e7ef1c26deed5.jpg59f8d21c19ea8_201710gombacsiga2.thumb.jpg.f8c65fa492fc37d693a09852817d5b40.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

Friend that wants some spoons and forks asked for something more simple. Ugh. I can't do simple when they also mention about smooth and sanitary. That is if I understood him right. I'm forever ruined on a rough utensil surface thank you very much. And I can't just do simple... More of an acceptable spoon shape I think tho. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

23 hours ago, JHCC said:

I use a welding cap that works pretty well. But I seem to produce such a copious volume of sweat some days, where nothing seems to stop it for long.

Coal dust & soot in the hair?  Not so much of a problem for me any more... :(

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Daswulf said:

Lessons in talking and forging. Lesson learned is no talking and forging.

I'll amend that a little, Das. In my situation - no talking and turning. I have to talk to visitors during demos (they're always asking questions) but nothing much will happen to the steel while I'm not turning the forge blower. It's when you're talking and absent-mindedly turning the blower that nasty things happen. More than once I have melted the horn of a bull's head.

And Hawk, that is one nasty gouge. Sweat on the glasses is a big problem for me too. We live and learn!

I'm a little late posting this, but here is what I made on Saturday. I really only get a chance to forge on the weekends, so I try to make them count. The copper bangles, pendants, and earrings were needed to restcok inventory. The two rebar bottle openers are a special order from work...I work in construction and the rebar came out of the slab for a future candy store. They are going to the owner as a gift. The cross was another custom order and custom design thanks to my wife. The fish bottle opener is the first of its kind. I thought up the idea a while back and finally got a chance to try it out. The ring is my first go at wrought iron and it turned out pretty good. The leaf is just another restock item.

SAM_3740.JPG

On 11/1/2017 at 11:37 PM, ausfire said:

I like your fish bottle opener, BF. Clever idea.  And how does the crossbar of the cross stay in place?

Thank you sir! I think next time on the fish I was fuller the dorsal fin from the back and show it with line work on the front so it's not so inset.

Sadly, I had to tack weld the arms of the cross on the back. I thought about hitting the cold arms over the hot stem of the cross to make an inset channel, but I had already textured both pieces by the time I remembered. I tried to get it all hot and pull and squeeze them together real well, but it just didn't work.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:42 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Hmm that bottle opener makes thoughts of a largemouth bass bottle opener come to mind.  Fishing and brown pop is a common match up in my experience-For an extra fee you could stamp the length and date of their "big one" on the back...

You'll have to show me if you make that largemouth opener...it sounds cool. That's a cool idea for custom stamps. I can see fishermen being into that. For me the best part is letting the metal naturally fish lip to create the mouth.

well this is from a while back, but last Saturday spent part of a day at a couple local rivers searching them. Didn't really find much, found some lead, a couple small musket balls, and did get some nice sized wrought iron. Oh, and something that was cool, was I got a short section of about 3/4" square rebar, pretty old for rebar maybe early 1900's?. Then from a while back also, I had an order for intertwined horse head horse shoe hearts. The other night I had some forge time and knocked out a small little jewelry sized cross pein out of 3/4" square in about 40 minutes, and got it handled tonight, used a mesquite wedge for contrast.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

This was made by my wife today. 

YGTnAFm.jpg

Her first ever attempt at forging! 

Meanwhile I'm on version 1.4 of my first pair of tongs. Burnt through one end, next had the boss on the wrong side. Next had stress fractures from using too sharp an edge to set down, so  hopefully the next end will work and I can finally complete them!