I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks Ya'll!

I was wondering if someone would notice the copper rivets, glad you like them.

Zeroclick- Thank you very much, your on your way in the right direction, just keep on keeping on!

Thank you Jasent, This one is not for him, but I have one almost the same that is going to him.

Littleblacksmith 

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really deep water for me. Neither I nor my brother-in-law, who owns the mill, are machinists. He's had some vo-tech training years ago, but neither of us really know what we're doing.

I stepped down about halfway through with a smaller end mill, then decided to switch to the longer LOC rather than trying to flip the block over and set it all back up again. I got two sides cut and nicely finished and was feeling pretty good, then *PING*. :angry: He won't be using the mill anytime soon, so we left the workpiece clamped in place. Once my replacement bits arrive, I guess I'll just have to take it slower.

I've "hit the wall" many times in the past 30 years when it came to forging. Sometimes I would just change the shape of small stock, square to round or round to square because for me hammering on hot steel is therapeutic.  At our last BOA meeting it was decided the trade item for this month would be something made out of rebar.

Good grief what to make. I decided to make a door pull. I started out with no idea what it would look like. I had made one some twenty years ago for our new PD that the architects had failed to include in the plans. All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out. It could also be used as a towel rack.

100_1877.thumb.JPG.c00a23ce71193156b22e9da0987e8a52.JPG

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

When I'm overwhelmed I've learned to start with small steps that I can get done and gradually work up to the big stuff getting *something* done gives me the confidence that I can do other things.

Amen.  Good advise there.  Hope things work out friend Gergely.  

As corny as this may sound Gergely, when your down the only way is up! Hang in there, take it a little at a time.  Mom says I got to get my rear in bed, and Im not so good at encouragement, but I pray that you get back on your feet and in the swing of things again. If I was closer I'd give you a hand.:)

Littleblacksmith 

Many times the farrier will leave the nails in the old shoe. When you get back to the shop, remove ALL the nails from the shoes. Those nails are looking for some flesh to tear and they are not the most sanitary piece of metal to cause an open scratch or wound.

48 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Many times the farrier will leave the nails in the old shoe. When you get back to the shop, remove ALL the nails from the shoes. Those nails are looking for some flesh to tear and they are not the most sanitary piece of metal to cause an open scratch or wound.

Yes what he said. Ive had one go through a boot once not fun. Also once they get rusted the nails are rusted in place and you have to punch them out to remove them. dont ask me how I know all this.:)

Littleblacksmith 

Dear All,

Thank you for all the kind words, it helped a lot. I managed to get some things done in the workshop and of course I enjoyed it very much. I wanted to take pictures but in the middle of the afternoon I successfully applied a brand new 9" cutting disc at full speed on my left thigh. I got off with a minor wound - if we compare to what these grinders can cause to human flesh. Spent the rest of the evening in the ER. All this because I was stupid enough to not turn off the grinder, and remove a hanging piece of steel with hand. No, I wanted to proceed quickly. Now here is quick for me, isn't it?

Anyway, thank God I have so light surface wound that I can walk and stand without further problems or pain. The funniest thing was that in the ER they taped it together! I was worried if it got stiched or sew but modern times: strips of tape hold together the two parts :)

Bests to you!

Gergely

16 hours ago, Chris Comtois said:

Got another load of used horseshoes from my source.  Spent some time messing around with a few.

Nice hearts, and the pumpkins are really cool.

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

Dear All,

Thank you for all the kind words, it helped a lot. I managed to get some things done in the workshop and of course I enjoyed it very much. I wanted to take pictures but in the middle of the afternoon I successfully applied a brand new 9" cutting disc at full speed on my left thigh. I got off with a minor wound - if we compare to what these grinders can cause to human flesh. Spent the rest of the evening in the ER. All this because I was stupid enough to not turn off the grinder, and remove a hanging piece of steel with hand. No, I wanted to proceed quickly. Now here is quick for me, isn't it?

Anyway, thank God I have so light surface wound that I can walk and stand without further problems or pain. The funniest thing was that in the ER they taped it together! I was worried if it got stiched or sew but modern times: strips of tape hold together the two parts :)

Bests to you!

Gergely

Good grief you seem to be having a bad time of it, wish I could come over and lend a hand.

Hope you heal quickly.

Best wishes,

Luke

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

The funniest thing was that in the ER they taped it together!

Eh Gergely, I use tape quite often, but usually only for slices, not grind outs. May you heal quickly.

Speaking for myself, wounds of the flesh are much easier to endure than the travails of the psyche - let us know brother, if you need to bend an ear.

Robert Taylor

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

Yep, I've had to pull LOTS of old, bent nails.  I've also discovered that the "material" in the creases does not burn out in the forge, rather it bakes in like fired clay.  I try not too hard to think about it as I respiratored up and took the wire wheel to them....

On 10/13/2017 at 2:34 AM, Gergely said:

I successfully applied a brand new 9" cutting disc at full speed on my left thigh. I got off with a minor wound - if we compare to what these grinders can cause to human flesh. Spent the rest of the evening in the ER. All this because I was stupid enough to not turn off the grinder, and remove a hanging piece of steel with hand.

Yikes!  So glad you weren't injured any worse!  I was trying to finish up that pumpkin after a long day and ran my thumb across the wire wheel - fortunately pulled back in time to avoid stripping the ENTIRE layer of skin. 

Hope things turn around for you soon.