• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bluerooster- I don’t think so. It’s a small railroad anvil. While I could probably make a round hole, I don’t know that I have the capabilities to make it square. I want to upgrade my anvil this summer anyway, so I’ll probably just wait until then.

If you get a tie plate you can put a piece of square steel tubing in a stump that's the same size as a RR spike then mount the tie plate over it and use RR spikes as your hardy shanks. 

Pnut

Chimaera, look up portable hole on the site.

If you have a forge, you have heat, and can make a drift and then hot punch a hole into something other than your anvil.  

Do not tell us what you can not do - because you are right, you already decided you can not do it. 

Instead tell us what you can do to work around the problem.  Get creative, it is fun.

7 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Didnt the Beatles use a portable hole to escape the Blue Meanies? 

Ringo said "i've got an 'ole in me pocket."

8 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Bluerooster- I don’t think so. It’s a small railroad anvil. While I could probably make a round hole, I don’t know that I have the capabilities to make it square. I want to upgrade my anvil this summer anyway, so I’ll probably just wait until then.

My anvil is a chunk of steel, 4"x8"x12".  I came into a need of a hardy hole, so I added one to it.  I welded a chunk of 2"x4"x4" to it, after I'd cut a 7/8" square slot in it. \

before.jpg

after.jpg

hot cut.jpg

and what it looks like today

IMG_20210315_143120557 (Copy).jpg

Blue rooster, I'd have suggested atleast severely V-ing/ notching it out for a more penetrating or atleast holding weld, but if it works, it works. Good job improvising. If it holds up no loss. If it does let go, deeply v out each welded edge. Then do a weld pass in the inner most V, and then build from there with zigzagging welds till it is flush. 

Das, the parts were beveled at about 35 degrees or better. And about half the thickness of the metal.  Then welded, with 6013, and topped off with 7014.  It's been holding strong for 2 years now.  I've welded a few loader tracks, that 40 years later have yet to fail. (but they did wear out and get replaced but the weld is still there)

As to what I did in the shop today, I started the second jaw for my post vise project. Spent the day  heating, upsetting, flattening, ad nauseam.  I still have an inch of width to go, but it got hot, And I needed a break.  Moving big iron, even nearly white hot,(actually high yellow) is tiring, especially with a hand crank blower.

But what I'm most surprized at is the amount of coal used to do the job.  So far, one jaw complete, and one well on it's way, and about 10-15 pounds used. And a pile of coke to die for left over.  (means very little smoke at start of next session :D )  

Past couple of sessions I’ve been working on some brackets to support the flue is my new forge (not done yet...). One is still a little wonky and needs some straightening. Then, I have to make the angle scroll for additional support and aesthetics.

4568CCD9-913F-41F8-B2BE-FFCF02C340FF.jpeg.fce3a0abe78a6b6348c4ecc94acf760a.jpeg

Sadly, another weekend of no forging. Went outside yesterday with the intention to but found myself doing yardwork instead. When I got all that done, realized I was sweating my butt off and went back inside.

Twisted the dragon scale twist sample I had previously done the chiseling on. Derusted and put BLO on some more tools. Went to the scrapyard and found a small set of tinsnips and a a set of nippers.  Nippers are in the vinegar bucket  and will become a small set of tongs.  Swept half the concrete floored section of the shop and was lamenting the lack of power as we had strong winds going up the valley and with a backpack blower I could have dusted the entire shop!  Did some thinking of how I will make changes once the inspector and CoOp  are done looking at things.   

Next weekend I'm going to start loading the truck with stuff I hope to sell at the NMABA meeting in Albuquerque; I need the space!

Thomas, how are the hooks looking you were working on?

I tried making a half moon leather knife from a piece of old hand saw blade today. Bottom line, 6mm mild is not really suitable to make handle pins from. so I'll continue that once I get a hold of some softer material.

Tomorrow and wednesday I got exams, so after that I'll try my hand at making a draw knife, carpenter's hammer, a top butcher, and if time allows, a wood chisel. finally got time do do things again then :).

~Jobtiel

Just paid more than I paid for my pickup to the electrician; Sure wish I could have given that to Steve instead.  All in all he did a fast good drive and did put in the 50 amp 220 circuit so I can plug in my welder, way over amped for my 25# LG though.

Now to find a barn fan to stick up in the gable...

Still waiting on the inspection and the CoOp, not real likely I'll have power for the long weekend; but it better be there before the 4th of July!

Thomas, I hope you get the power going this week. I hope I do to for that matter... scheduled for Thursday weather permitting.

Today I went to a local smiths forge to visit and work on my flue brackets. Only have to weld the scrolls in and put some finish on. I’ll probably go with BLO.

C33397FE-3D57-416E-8D38-9B6846052817.jpeg.6565d44f41c0f2c62b7eed1fdc61a518.jpeg

Unfortunately I have to dig the welder out of the basement...

David

Got in the shop after work for the first time in over a week.  Just made some steak flippers, a bottle opener, and started in on a rat tail handeled knife,  and a large serving spoon.   I don't have high hopes for the spoon but how do you learn new stuff without trying?  I don't have a swage block so I'm going to try forming over the hardy hole and a piece of wood.  Anyway,  I'm having a cookout at the house Sunday and I need to make sure the shop looks good and somewhat organized so probably no more hammering this week.