I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Never heard of Talenti. My absolute favorite ice cream is from a local dairy, Young's. Black raspberry, i get that on top of a brownie covered in hot fudge. They used to make all their ice cream in house but now they only make what they serve in the dairy. You can buy pints and up to gallons in their freezer but it is made by Reiters now. 

On the way home from or to Quad state this year you should make a trip. It is about 10 mins south of 70 on 68. If they still have it try the pumpkin bread also. 

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a local gelateria that makes ice cream themselves, in all kinds of weird flavors. My favorite one is sea salt flavored!

Anyway, I finished up the forging on the straps for the hinges today. Unfortunately a small piece burned off from one of the Fleur de lis finials, but I still like it good enough to use.

BLO as finish, still need to test what finish holds up best under circumstances here.

Only thing left is drilling holes, and maybe cold bending to make sure the straps sit flat on the door, and the door flat in its frame.

IMG_20210528_151120_061.thumb.jpg.b4fe46d479ec3341a53a4f741d6e55f0.jpg

~Jobtiel

Unfortunately, I've had to give up on anything sugary, as I've put on way too much weight over the pandemic year. Ah, well.

1 minute ago, Jobtiel1 said:

We have a local gelateria that makes ice cream themselves, in all kinds of weird flavors.

There's a place like that in Brunswick, Maine called "Gelato Fiasco". Amazing variety, and a bit of a mad scientist vibe.

Nice fleurs de lis.

I did try to forge weld a chain saw chain last night. Used a inch and a half plate for a backer then welding everything together. It was actually going really well at first. Everything was compressing how I wanted and the chains were fusing/welding together. Just as I thought I was actually going to succeed, the bottom plate sheared off and it fell apart :(

Only been to Young's once. It was very good, but I think a little overrated. Sorry to hear that, SinDoc. I still am too scared to try a piece of damascus. Today, I tried to salvage a piece of dumpster fire mokume. It's definitely still a dumpster fire, but I bet I can get at least a set of earrings out of it. Or maybe a pendant. I did make a good piece though. Don't have a pic at the moment.

As an essential worker, I was never really on lockdown. :( It was sort of tough at first knowing my neighbor was home relaxing, but as it went on longer, I was thankful I was considered essential. My neighbor works in oil and gas, which had bottomed out around that time. While he and his wife had to dip into their savings, I was able to pay my bills and eat without worry. My paychecks were never interrupted. As the lockdown became longer, I began to feel a little guilty. 

What I’ve done in the shop today. Took a small piece of the san mai billet and tried to grind out a drop point hunter profile. The high carbon piece of the billet had cracked badly right in front of where the point is. The piece wasn’t really long enough to make a full blade, but I figured it would be long enough for me to practice grinding out a profile and then putting an edge on it. It will allow me to possibly - probably - fail and not screw up something I cared about. 

4A0EE150-5FBC-46C1-8CB3-D4308C0C6DF4.jpeg

I also managed to get the coal off the trailer. It slid easy while on the trailer. Not so easily when on the grass. The bag fell over off the pallet (oak I will use for random things later.)  It fell on the bag opening. I will have to cut it open. 

8CB918AD-3584-4223-9FB4-EEB2B49669DE.jpeg

AA1E52AC-6F96-4571-B023-B92A4DF8E1D3.jpeg

If course it rolled over onto the opening. What did you expect?

Don't cut it till you know for sure you can't roll it right side up. Throw a noose over the part sticking up and draw it tight, then wrap the standing end of the line around the bag and back over the top. You want to get the part going under the bottom as far under as you can. 

Pull it with a pickup or half a dozen friends it should roll right over for you.

If that doesn't work could I interest you in backing your vehicle up about 30' and punching it? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

You can dig under the bag and then raise the bag up until you can get a proper sled under the bag so you can move it to the new location.  A smooth bottom sled and rollers are your friend as are straps to hold the bag onto the sled.  Otherwise a strong pulling device, truck, group of friends, etc is needed.

Your challenge is not moving the material, but how many different ways you can use to get it moved.  Choose the one that you feel will work for you.

D, I think the simplest, less stressful way to solve your problem is to spread a tarp around one side of the bag.  Make a small cut in the lower part of the bag.  Start shoveling the coal into your smaller containers.  The tarp will catch any spillage.  You won't have to worry about a catastrophic mess if it bursts open uncontrolled while trying move it.  I've shoveled tons of coal and it ain't that hard.  I think you are borrowing trouble trying to move the full bag instead of just moving the coal in small batches.....