• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, alexandr said:

Yes, there is a stigma.

FYI, the modern English usage for “stigma” is as the mark of something negative, like “the stigma of mental illness”.

The exception is the plural “stigmata”, which usually refers to the marks from the wounds of Christ’s crucifixion. 

55 minutes ago, alexandr said:

But as a rule, I forget to use it.:unsure:

Oh, good: it’s not just me. 

The saying here is do not plant before May 15. 

Looked out to see snow falling and a squirrel at the bird feeder with snow landing on his head and tail, and starting to stick to his fur.  He seemed to thing an evening meal was more important then the weather.

If I have a weld like that on a final piece, I stick it back in the coal fire at low heat and the weld all but disappears.  It forms sort of thin mill scale or patina.  A gas forge probably would not change the weld appearance and not sure what a charcoal fire would do.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:47 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

TIKI, yes that is a pretty famous house , and it was up for sale, so you may get your chance to own it ;)

When I moved to the desert I looked into all types of alternative construction; straw bale, monolithic concrete over airforms, rammed Earth, Earth berm, subterranean, storage container, etc..  

I haave freinds who used straw bales and staccato 

16 hours ago, Glenn said:

The saying here is do not plant before May 15. 

Looked out to see snow falling and a squirrel at the bird feeder with snow landing on his head and tail, and starting to stick to his fur.  He seemed to thing an evening meal was more important then the weather.

glenn my mothers rule is after june long weekend and we get as good or better crops as those who do may 15

M.J.Lampet

44 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

We got 1 1/2" of snow the night before last, flurries and freezing rain last night, come tuesday they are forecasting 81*. But that is Ohio, we have a saying here "Dont like the weather, wait 10 minutes it will change."

Annnnnd its snowing again. This state is bipolar.

Been nice here, the coldest it's been since last Friday is 29f, the highs are running mid to high 50s. It's been above 60 here a couple few times but we're farther from the Inlet than the official thermometer. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. Frosty, Good Guy,

With the present "heat wave", Alaskan citizens  can finally thaw out?

Is this weather due to 'Global Warming".?

Will palm trees soon invade Alaska?

Only time will tell.

Stay tuned,  same time,  same station.

Sincerity,

SLAG.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:59 AM, JHCC said:

FYI, the modern English usage for “stigma” is as the mark of something negative, like “the stigma of mental illness”.

The exception is the plural “stigmata”, which usually refers to the marks from the wounds of Christ’s crucifixion. 

Unfortunately I could not find the correct name in the translator.

IMG_20210423_160929.jpg

4 minutes ago, JHCC said:

"Stamp", "maker's mark" and "touchmark" are all appropriate terms, although the latter two are specialized enough that translator programs probably wouldn't suggest them.

In Russian, this is called "клеймо". " штамп " has a slightly different meaning.

Frosty, please sit down:  I had the electrician out here today, he gave me a quote and I pulled the trigger.  I figure I can get about 80% of what I want for the money I have allocated.  200 amp breaker box. All 20 amp, 12 ga ,circuits for the 110 and a 30 amp for the 220; plus a welder outlet. lights on a different circuit(s).  Code is a bit weird about having an outside light for each mandoor; but that may work in my favour as it would put a circuit to that side of the shop too.  All metal conduit. And he said he could run the conduit high on the wall so I wouldn't have to clean out all the stuff to install it!

That removable front on your trailer looks like it would be handy. The tongue seems to be much longer than any I’ve seen in the States.  I assume that is to make the removable front more useable. 

It was once possible for someone with a shop to make a decent living making utility trailers (decent being subjective.)  Now there are large factories churning them out. With the margin so low, that isn’t possible now.