I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thomas, there have always been controller in industries.  My point was not about a particular person.  Simply a time frame.

In 1970 a guy designed a gasoline scrubber that could be retrofitted to any gasoline engine that would make any car get amazing gas mileage.   He had a car getting nearly  70miles to the gallon and it was squashed by industry. 

The guy who invented the screw cutting lathe had nearly the same result.

As did a french guy who was one of the first to make interchangeable parts for rifles.

Up to that point in time all the contracts were to individual gun makes. And the parts would not interchange at all. 

They threw the guy in jail as insane so the Guild could continue. 

He finally got an audience with the war department head and showed him the results in front of the other guild members.

He was freed and the Guild after that was forced to meet the standard. (,my own paraphrasing)

My point is about the quality of work done more so the quantity.  As well as time frames of sloppy finish work vs well finished. 

There are industry squashers everywhere directly and indirectly. 

You have a book or papers to reference nail making at monticello "1700 America " is the name of the book?

15819594423424834132167943975506.jpg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ran across it in one of the volumes of the complete writings of Thomas Jefferson published by a patriotic group IIRC. It also contained his writings as he was travelling in Europe; listing what the weather was like, what the soil was like, what the people were like in the places he passed through, what crops they grew and how well. What wine they produced and if it was any good, etc.   A true member of the enlightenment.

Monticello's website, monticello.org,  has some links to documentation on his nailery.

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/nailery

WRT innovation; when markets are free; innovation flourishes.  When markets are controlled; innovation languishes.

(Remember that part of Les Miserables where the innovation of bending a piece replaced the soldering of it and so increased the profit by a small amount?)

When people call me heartless I want to be able to say, "Why no I have a collection of them I keep nailed to the wall of my shop---want to come see?" 

It was  designed in a rather silly vein.  I will have a Dr friend of mine critique it and work towards a really good one as a gift for my Daughter...We've always been sort of an Addams Family...

Randy, nice little knife ya got there.

If any yall ever get the chance to visit Monticello, go. If you have already then you provably know that it is an incredible piece of architecture.   Thomas Jefferson designed much of it that was far ahead of the times.

Also interestingly both Jefferson and Adams died on July 4th. Our forefathers (here in the US of A that is) were some very interesting and brilliant men.

Thomas, the heart is great! My older son in the third great started giving out, as he called them, “Aztec” Valentines at school for Valentines Day. Needless to say we are a bit one the dark side as a family as well.

David

A chip off the old obsidian knife!   I remember walking my kids around for Halloween wearing a set of Visible Yellow/Green overalls with a Radiation trefoil on them and the pockets stuffed with break the tube lights---made it easy for them to keep track of me...(I found the overalls at a thrift store "rated for splashes of molten metal" and with a power plant name on them---who could resist!)

finished my nail header, turned out purty good so...i made another.

20200217_185302.thumb.jpg.569dd2c781da0e833a9ed4fe44424792.jpg

The shadow make the holes look a little wonkey but they are square. 

My daughters boyfriend is a bartender in some fancy shmancy bar and has to use an ice pick to make drinks with, he asked me if i could make him one so here it is. The glue is still drying and the handle needs some sanding, mainly to get the black of my hand off of it, then a coat of tung oil and a good coat of polyurethane. I went with a copper piece on the end cuase germs and the like dont like copper very well. A piece of garage door spring, 5160 i think, and zebra wood for the handle. Of course hardened and tempered. 

20200217_185415.thumb.jpg.d993705ecaa613e74ae19159f1106587.jpg

Thanks Thomas that was a great read.. Nice link. 

Billy if you can round out the tops a little more unless you are making large heads..  I had seen where someone had hit the handle of the header with the hammer and snapped the header.. (I seen this, hint, hint)..  I then started to dome the heads higher than the handles. 

Looks good Billy. I made a purely functional one out of stock that was too thin. I think I'll make the next one dressed up a bit and use at least 1/4 in. Flat instead of the 1/8 I used the last time. I used a short section of pipe as a big bolster to make the convex header section. 

Pnut

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I decided to try a heart from a horseshoe too; my wife said that perhaps I should not have used the anatomy book as a design source

That reminds me of a sacred heart that you see in religious paintings and tattoos nowadays. I like it very much. 

Pnut

Well the rain set in. My forge is outside, (shop has wood floor). So, I spent part of the day making a hood from an old 55 gallon drum that we used to keep horse feed in. Got that done, and moved the forge to the barn where the fly pens used to be. Then I moved the stump out there too.  I've yet to move the other forge, and build a hood for it as well.

That done, I came back to the shop, and added a hardy hole to the anvil. It came out a bit lopsided, but it will keep a hardy from spinning. Got that done, and set about the task of a horn for the anvil. But I got tired of cutting 2x8 stock, so I gave it a rest for the day/week/month/(?). Tomorrow, if rain is still in the forecast, I'll get a flue installed.

IMG_20200218_162650645.jpg

IMG_20200218_163352975.jpg

Not much today, practised a few more nails. I think i my have it finally nailed down. (pun intended) Sanded the handle of my ice pick, then found my tung oil hardened so of to the local handyman. Got a nice coat of oil then after a while put on a coat of polyurethane. That zebar wood really pops when polished. Looks almost gold in the right light. Wish pics could give it more justice. 

20200218_185255.thumb.jpg.24d15a2d8599fce38a77ce6bf581d78a.jpg

Oh then i burnt up my angle grinder. Trying to hog off to much at once. Oh well, $15 bucks at the HF store, 3 years of service i got my moneys worth out of it.