• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Conrad, that's a beauty of a hammer. I'm behind on commenting, but all this work y'all are showing is wonderful. I'll get around to finishing a few things soon and put mine up. My crazy schedule and lack of sleep isn't conducive to much forging lately. But I sure do enjoy looking at the work of others that is so inspiring.

8 minutes ago, Chris C said:

I really like that Nihil.  Good job, I'd say.  Bet she was tickled!!!!!

Thanks!  She loved it!

I was a bit bummed that I had planned both of the twists to be to the "outside" but after I'd done the second I saw they were in the same direction.  Ah well.

Love the look of the rubik twist but don't love making the cuts.

Brought my son to the forge over his winter break and he made a hook.  His first product from forging.  Only helped him drift the hole.  So great to share time with him at the forge :)

20200222_215525.thumb.jpg.ea5d0597f57bb34a7d9551231759c40c.jpg20200222_215505.thumb.jpg.440c6f0d7520f65fb649dd384e4ca9dc.jpg20200218_105726.thumb.jpg.1c7f9eb47002f685db72c7f569cc42b1.jpg

Nihil, great looking heart and awesome that your boy is forging. Eventlessbox, nice save. I like it. 

Not my best looking spoon and fork but, here they are. And shaped the bits and drew out the reins on these Ken's Custom Iron tongs. Have had them for awhile, so I figured I better get busy on them. 

20200225_214602.jpg

CGL, nice work. Like the tongs. Did you do the bolsters or do they come already made?

Well, first thing today was Mass. Did we all go get our ashes today? Lent has started and the old lady said i should give up forging!<_< I said "yeah along with breathing." :D

Started making a spring fuller. Got the spring, arms, and hardy shank done. Now just to make the tooling and weld it on. Started as a piece of coil spring straightened him out and then flattened out a 9" spring section. Turned it around the horn. Did not come out nearly as wonky as i expected it to. I was actually quite surprised it turned as well as it did. 

20200226_191258.thumb.jpg.d16d100fb99f474ac0d8c02ded86496c.jpg

Well done Billy! 

No ashes for me today, however I'm a bit less Roman. No worries though- I understand (as best I can!!) and respect it! 

Either way, I think it turned out quite nice! 

CGL, I think it's a nice improvement on the base set!

Conrad, is that a punch or slitter? If it’s a slitter, how far through the material do you slit before flipping it over to the other side. I’ve been slitting all the way trough to a cutting plate, but I’m curious about how others approach it.

Thanks, David

took a day off yesterday to take the car and the dog and my teeth into their respective maintenance appointments. Got the forge lit about 11 AM, nothing like mid week coal burning in the suburbs (gas forge for weekend forging) .

Made some pass thru joinery tooling, punch and drift from coil spring, bolster from some axle steel, the end of a hammer attempt that went wonky punching the hole.   Finished a set of Ken's Iron tongs, took a while to figure out the bends to make them offset tongs.

finally hammered out a 150mm Challenge piece, started at 6 inches (150mm) of 3/4 square.  3/4 is about the limit of what I can move wiht just a hand hammer. Happy how it came out.

150mm hot.jpg

150mmcold.jpg

022520work.jpg

PassThruTools.jpg

6 hours ago, Goods said:

If it’s a slitter, how far through the material do you slit before flipping it over to the other side.

It's a punch but not with a flat bottom if that's what you're asking. It has a bevel to punch easier. I don't go all the way through one side. I go through about 3/4 of the billet then flip. This results in a much cleaner hole.

On February 27, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Goods said:

Conrad, is that a punch or slitter? If it’s a slitter, how far through the material do you slit before flipping it over to the other side. I’ve been slitting all the way trough to a cutting plate, but I’m curious about how others approach it.

How someone does it is usually defined by what they are after and whom they follow as to method. 

The most popular is to slot punch just over half way and then flip and drive in till you shear the slug.. some consider this a great way as it can be a fun game to shear the slug as the punch cools the material between and it takes this colder material in order to shear it cleanly..  ( used on steels or highly refined wrought iron).

This is not my preferred method as it uses a lot of metal in the slug..  (losses).

Next is the use a slitting chisel  vs a slotting punch.   A slitting chisel will actually cut a slit without much material loss but it does leave the inside of the hole slight ragging. Years back i used a bunch of slitting chisels as these would leave the most material in the cheeks so could use smaller diameter materials for handled tools. 

And then punching round all the way till a very narrow slug is formed on the other side.  This leaves a very clean hole. 

Each method I choose is based on how much metal I want to retain..  It is also dictated by what follow up method is going to be used. (mandrel, drift, raw).   Does the hammer need cheeks or is it going to be left square or is the hammer going to be modified heavily. 

And lastly it also depends on whether I'm working to a particular standard based on what the person wants to learn. 

Did we have bacon with those pancakes?. Aint it amazing fat Tuesday used to be indulge in a few beverages till i could not see straight, now its pancakes and bacon. 

We have a thing we do once a month called "theology on tap". We get together at a local brewery, have a beverage or 2 and talk Scripture. Good way to get the younger crowd involved i suppose. 

2 hours ago, Conrad.blacksmithing said:

I lose hardly any weight to the plug. In fact I lose more weight in scale than the plug. 1/4 oz at the most...

I understand, but that is still weight..   It's semantics really..  when I'm done the slug is about 3/32" thick and about 1/8" in diameter..   

Please don't take it as an insult as to the style of work or method.. 

Its a popular method.. I was just sharing what the facts are. 

Like I said. I use what ever method I need to get a job done..