• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frazer nice tongs wish my bosses would turn out half that good. 

Hammer heart, i agree with Jennifer on that, but over all nice. I like that design.

I see a box of oh so tasty chocolate covered cherries there i think. Ever try the ones with black cherries? MMMmmmm...yummy. Cant go wrong with that orange crush either. 

6 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Hammer heart.. Not a critique but more just scary..  Those spike tips sticking out like that can a problem for some.. 

A good bump into one or both is a stitches thing for sure.. Maybe scroll the tips a little next time..  Or not.. 

He did say it was for the mother in law. 

I haven't been on the forum much lately but you guys are rockin' it and putting out some spectacular work. I haven't managed getting to the shop much lately, but I did start on another cutlery set for an order Monday night. If I finish it some time soon, I'll post up some pics. I really love seeing so many sharing their work and letting us see. 

You guys are right I could have scrolled them down and it would have been alot safer just with those scrolls, it does kinda look like it's going to wreck someone haha. I'll make sure I keep that in mind for next round : ) and my mother in law would just bite it off of the wall chew it up and spit it at me. She's ok :D

You guys are doing great!

Ditto about a better finial treatment of the spikes, a scroll can still be made cold but it needs something. 

This is something we have to keep in mind when making things. We don't want anything: pokey, cutty or snaggy, where folk, children especially might get caught. In many cases you don't want feature that can trap appendages, say a scroll on a railing that will trap a wrist if someone misses a grab while falling off the porch. Make sense? 

Your spikes aren't so bad a pokey hazard, I've made and fixed much worse but you don't want to hurt anybody. . . accidentally. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Needed a shank for the hardy so i spent a good 2 hours beating one out, i see the advantage of a power hammer now. Man my back hurts. That big chunk at the top is the parent stock. 

20200219_175034.thumb.jpg.2094dc88103e557fb1fc00a06345cffb.jpg

The old lady liked the ice pick i made for my daughters beau better than the one i made her so i had to make another for her. Still needs a handle and all the pretty stuff but the forging part is done. She had better like it.

20200219_175533.thumb.jpg.1ff411a1b09ddb2a18cfa82a4479bdc1.jpg

Got five wood carving knives epoxied up and ready for handle shaping.

Coated my (yup, still working on it) forge with Metricote today.  Also cut the "tables" for the front and back of the forge opening so I can set my two fire brick "doors" on each end.  Cut and drilled the angle iron brackets I need to weld onto the forge to mount the "tables"..............but can't do that until I get my 220v line run from the box to the forging room..........65' of 6-3 cable to staple up to the rafters. :o  Next thing to accomplish is to cast my ribbon burner.

Billy, I'm laughing because you can't go from doing smaller light stuff into doing 2" stuff right away..  LOL..   Silly.. 

You gotta work up to it.. Or do it piece meal till you are in good enough shape.. 

People often ask me why my anvil is so low..  I had an order come in for a bunch of balls at the end of some 1.5" round stock 6' long bars.. I could not hold the bar up and work at the end of the bar at the same time on the anvil..  The bar having to be lifted to a 45 degree while hammering on it. 

I then found I could use my arm as a pendulum affair while holding the rod (as it rested on the anvil face) which would change the angle of the rod on the anvil face.. My hands were plenty strong just not my arm.. 

So, I had to lower the anvil to do the job and just never raised it again..    I then found it was easier on all the work I was doing because I had a full hammer swing instead of just knuckle height for the anvil. 

Chris did you do the knivers over your friends? 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Chris did you do the knivers over your friends? 

No, these little wood carving knives are all stock removal.    I've only done one forged knife so far.  Not ready to tackle all my little carving knives.  Many are only 3/32" thick at the spine.  Don't want to have to try to pound those out.  They'd cool too quickly on the anvil, I'd think.

CGL, his hammer maybe a bit light. Hope all is well, been a minute since ya been on. 

Glenn, striker? I barely have any friends to come over and drink a beverage with me. ;) (but i like it that way, no one to ask me to help them move)

Jennifer, one nice thing about this was swinging down. I am usually swinging a #3 hammer upward at work. The biggest thing i think that hurt was that the bar is also 4' long, whats that about #20 bar or so. So just getting it in and out of the fire was a job in itself. 

I will say i was swinging that hammer like Joey Votto swinging a baseball bat. I like a longer handle on my hammers. If i lay the head in my palm they usually go past my elbow. I had my pinky and ring finger off the handle getting as much length as possible.