• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Frosty. Yep, that's why I like to save drawing out the reins and shaping them up as pretty much the last thing I do before riveting. Let's me bolt them together and see how they feel. I have also formed the reins earlier in the process and gotten a little carried away, drawing them out a little more than I probably would have otherwise.

As for making several pairs, I'm sure that will happen. I'm finding tong making to be quite enjoyable. I would like to ditch my vise grips that I'll use as a substitute when they're the best option.

Hi everyone! Y’all been busy! Good stuff.
I would like some pointers on a couple of things.

1. How would you put ridges on a leaf? removal, hot cut, forge? I filed the ridges in the pic.

2. How would you refine the striations in the round leaf? I used a cross peen but the corners of the peen leave the middle all rough. Maybe a light ball peen to smooth it out? 

DD976E8B-409D-4664-8778-67C70F5E9743.jpeg

D1EA2386-157E-489F-B1BD-E3B322AA9864.jpeg

6EE3D37D-09BB-4499-A726-0A0216F94229.jpeg

Nice looking leaves jungle. The answer to your first question would be Yes. All of those are viable options to put serrations on the edges of a leaf, though I think forging them in with just a hammer would be the most difficult. I personally would do either stock removal with a file like you did, or hot cut them in.

You can round the corners of your peen slightly so the marks it makes flow into each other instead of leaving the abrupt corner marks. 

Thanks friends! The ornamental side of forging is my favorite in this journey thus far. Can be tricky thinking on how to create a shape sometimes so thank you for the info.

2 hours ago, Shabumi said:

You can round the corners of your peen slightly

I was thinking on this. Does anyone have triangular shaped peens or other oddly shaped hammers?

12 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

straight hot cut hardy with a brass hammer

Don't have one of those yet. Been web shopping though and they aren't out of range.

Thanks for the kind complements.

Just got done with a forge welding workshop with Mark Aspery a half hour ago. I'm grabbing a Chili burger to replace some of my hard worked calories. Pictures of the basket handle with faggot, coller and "drop tong" welds when I get home. 

"It take 1000 welds, including the failures, to master the skill of forge welding"-Mark Aspery

Thanks it was alot of fun. There were ~20 student and 4 instructors, with Mark as lead instructor. He had ~8 students and the others were split between the other 3. I was with 2 others with Victoria Ritter teaching. 

The 1000 welds might have been an arbitrary high number. His point when saying this was that it was a basic skill just like tapering, and how many tapers did it take you before you felt comfortable with making consistent tapers?

I had just enough time to twist 1.5 rotations 1 way for the basket before time ran out, but I will be opening the basket later as well as finishing the point to make it a fire poker. Here's the pictures of the welds. they aren't pretty, but they held

IMG_20200222_180543380.jpg

IMG_20200222_180535844.jpg

IMG_20200222_180554281.jpg

I like the pendant Rojo. The way it flows is pleasing to look at. Tongs take a lot of practice to perfect. I've been making them from a while and still struggle!

Today I made some tooling for bull dog keychains and my first bull dog. Also forged a 2.5lb ball peen for a machinist customer.

I also had a punch break in a crazy way. I've never seen a top tool break like this. My dad hits like a power hammer!

IMG_20200222_140646_184.jpg

IMG_20200222_140646_179.jpg

20200222_181423.jpg

IMG_20200222_152352_357.jpg