• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back still bothering me, so no forging. Instead, I did a bunch of marking, drilling, grinding, and welding on the components of the candelabra project. Here’s one of the central stems:

DEB9B08A-449D-41F8-A052-0784C97E27AA.jpeg

And here’s the first mock-up with most of the pieces:

D19A9A7A-FDC4-4184-BF9F-A80F4686A4D7.jpeg

(And no, it won't have paracord in my school colors in the final version, and it will have candle cups around the outside.)

Yeah, I had some problems a  couple of months ago that had almost cleared up, and then I did something to reinjure it helping out my son’s robotics team last week. Spent most of the week hobbling around with a pair of canes.  Thank God I’ve got a good  chiropractor. 

Cool John. Coming along nicely. Nice work going on in here. It's tough to keep up at the moment. 

About the political sign metal, a friend dropped off a bunch of new unused ones from someones trash. These yield 6'10 1/2" of 1/8" stock. :) perfect for some spider web work. Twisting some around 3" stock for the start of some webings. Opening it up as it gets closer to center. 

20200223_212032.thumb.jpg.59cd7e3a0d1f17e83284183a150f5fae.jpg

20200223_212350.thumb.jpg.3bebe4e561d0cdd7cd74693f7c266b33.jpg

20200223_212412.thumb.jpg.f35a16aaa80522395ffa59bd3a1fed3a.jpg

Today, I made a set from the wrought iron billet from a few weeks ago. Was originally planning on a small hammer, but I need a hot set. Not real happy with it, eye is a bit wonky and larger that planned, but it should get the job done. Now, I have to make the handle. (Wrought iron body, leaf spring face.)

David

60EC0A38-1759-41D6-8730-130313CE98DE.jpeg

067D9311-68D6-4951-86DF-0E2902E05C57.jpeg

Condrad I really like your work..  You do a nice job on the forging.

Aspects to which I find important in a clean forging are there..

Makes it all the nicer looking at your work. 

Goods Looks pretty good. The weld looks great.. Face size?  

Which method are you using to punch the eye?   Looks to be like slit and drift? 

JLP,  yes it was slit and drift. The face is 1 1/8” square. I was pleased with the face weld. I was having issues getting the heat I needed while working the wrought, then I gave in and used the last of the coal I had and It came right up to welding heat. I guess my forge is not setup well for lump charcoal. Time to track more coal down.

David

I've never been a fan of slitting wrought iron of this size.  I use a 2 punch method to shear the end grains  if the wrought is showing a tendency to split.

If it is good stuff then just punch up round leaving slightly oversized on either side of the hole so I can then pack back down.

Once I get to the desired eye hole size  just brush the oval back and its finished.  That way the eye stays pretty well centered.  If it needs correction then usually it's not bad and a hammer eye punch is used for clean up.

Fyi,  wrought iron tooling usually needs to be be made stouter in size vs mild steel.

Understanding the true merit of steels allows for a smaller tool that will show an increase of productivity as there is less mass in the tool therefore more of the energy goes into the work being performed.   

On hammers with various oddly shaped peens for ornamental work: Yes they do exist.  I'd assume every smith going that route has a bucket of ballpeen hammer heads sourced at or under US$1 per to make custom shaped peens to experiment with.  Easy to forge the ball into a special shape you want to experiment with---how about a semi lunar cross peen so NO corners when used?  Or perhaps try it as a straight peen?

Over the years you can pick up an amazing number of odd hammers even if you don't want to make/modify your own.  I do both.

Got the chimes mock hung to hear them while hanging. The 1/8 inch hole was too large even drilled in hot metal, so I went with 7/64 holes which were the perfect size to hammer the bar in cold and peen the ends down, a nice tight fit. I went with a bar little longer than the chime is wide so as I peened it tight there was a bend in the middle to help keep the lines they are hanging on centered, still need to center the bend though as you can see that they don't all hang straight. I tried to get a picture of the inside, but my phone won't focus in those conditions. The next step is to finish the keeper, striker and sail, re-clean everything and put it all together. Here's how they sound.