• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

finished the scythe I've been working on, just gotta finish the snath and give it a go in the yard, I'm kinda worried that I didn't curve it enough but worst case scenario it's a wall hanger and a lesson in drawing out since I started with 20mm round bar 

19047512_1313428258742273_1985967199_n.jpg

The customer sent a photo. And good feedback.

Dear Alexander,
This is the very best purchase of my life.
I have no words to explain how much I like it!
Well done from the bottom of my heart!!!!
Once I finish fitting everything I will make some pictures about the whole conservatory.
All my family is literally amused...we can't stop looking at this marvelous piece of heart...
We will highly recommend you and your work to all our friends and family without any doubt.
Thank you very much 
Mauro

Re: Mauro from Nottingham
Now it looks like a Castle....
Thank you very much Alex!!!!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Beautiful, spectacular work. Nice that the customer gave you such a glowing endorsement. That should go in your portfolio too.

I see the electrical wires in your early photos, but they are well concealed in the finished product. Very professional work.

When I do key fobs like that, to get the eye nicely formed (yours is), I just drop in a drift. Also, I find it best when the fob is no longer than a key, it just seems to be more comfortable. Your veining looks better than my first few, but that comes with time. Good wrap.

Littleblacksmith 

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Not a bad fob. What don't you like about the eye? What's it's size?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, the bit I don't like is on the right I think it has too sharp a bend making a bit more oval.

I haven't got exact measurements but end to end it is about 6 inches, I started with 12mm square.

10 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

When I do key fobs like that, to get the eye nicely formed (yours is), I just drop in a drift. Also, I find it best when the fob is no longer than a key, it just seems to be more comfortable. Your veining looks better than my first few, but that comes with time. Good wrap.

Littleblacksmith 

Thank you

I do need to get the size down a fair bit. I need to find a good piece of material to make a drift.

My next project is to make a thin profile fuller to widen the veins a little bit and make them more obvious.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:56 AM, Zeroclick said:

Thank you, the bit I don't like is on the right I think it has too sharp a bend making a bit more oval.

I haven't got exact measurements but end to end it is about 6 inches, I started with 12mm square.

Thank you

I do need to get the size down a fair bit. I need to find a good piece of material to make a drift.

My next project is to make a thin profile fuller to widen the veins a little bit and make them more obvious.

Yeah, getting rings like that even and smooth isn't as easy as you'd think. Try modeling the ring with wire on a long tapered alignment , prick punch, spud wrench or bull pins are excellent, or pick a piece of rd. rod the dia you like. If you use the prick punch use a sharpie or something to mark the dia. you want.

Mark where you want the center of the loop away from the ends. Heat it and wrap it around the mandrel till the ends cross, in line facing opposite directions. Heat it up, drop it on the mandrel and twist the ends till the finial is right. 

Another method than using the mandrel is to place the ring in the vise with the ends up and twist it. 

It really just takes practice and if you don't do this for a while rust grows quickly though some folk just have a knack. I have to work at it to get rings right.

Hit the garage, yard, etc. sales with an eye out for punches, chisels, Allan wrenches, etc. A little sweet talking and you can usually get them thrown in on another sale or buy them all for not much. 

Frosty The Lucky.