I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

What wood is the handles?

Oh, duh, there wouldn't be American axes over there, what were you thinking Mark!?

They really are beuts

Sounds like fun. I've only watched a smelt a few times, never done one, though it seems like it would be a fun group project. let us know how it goes! don't forget pictures!;)

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cut an old 5# dumbbell into halves and ground one into a domed raising stake for the vise, and messed around with raising some sheet brass and aluminum(?) into random shapes, with a bit of dishing thrown in. Fun!

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

6 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

What wood is the handles?

Oh, duh, there wouldn't be American axes over there, what were you thinking Mark!?

They really are beuts

Sounds like fun. I've only watched a smelt a few times, never done one, though it seems like it would be a fun group project. let us know how it goes! don't forget pictures!;)

Littleblacksmith

Let's see: the handles are Robinia or black locust wood. It's the most common material for handles around here (Hungary only).

I have found some US made hammers - so you never know :) I'm not sure I'd sell those if I'd found some though... You know, I tend to like axe shaped things ;) 

Thanks! :)

I take my heavily damaged camera with me hoping it won't fall apart or die on me any ways. Unfortunately there is a chance... khmm, uhmm, tendency... I totally forget about taking pictures when I'm doing something. I try my best.

Now off I run, very much to do yet in no time.

Bests:

Gergely

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Cut an old 5# dumbbell into halves and ground one into a domed raising stake for the vise, and messed around with raising some sheet brass and aluminum(?) into random shapes, with a bit of dishing thrown in. Fun!

Forgot to mention that this was the first sheet metal work I've ever done. I likes.

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

Let's see: the handles are Robinia or black locust wood. It's the most common material for handles around here (Hungary only).

I have found some US made hammers - so you never know :) I'm not sure I'd sell those if I'd found some though... You know, I tend to like axe shaped things ;) 

Thanks! :)

I take my heavily damaged camera with me hoping it won't fall apart or die on me any ways. Unfortunately there is a chance... khmm, uhmm, tendency... I totally forget about taking pictures when I'm doing something. I try my best.

Now off I run, very much to do yet in no time.

Bests:

Gergely

I like the wood, it's a nice change from hickory.

if you ever want some US anything let me know. I always find tools from other country's, it seems though most are from china, and some times Mexico.:wacko:

hope it goes well!

Littleblacksmith 

One of my friends (a professor at the college where I work) came over to learn how to swing a hammer. I may not have taught him particularly well, but he did make a nice S-hook.

IMG_2976.JPG

While he was here, I got him to strike for me while I made a raising hammer out of a piece of rail anchor.

IMG_2986.JPG

Africana Studies, Cultural Theory, Political Philosophy, and Political Theory. One incredibly smart dude, and entirely down-to-earth. We were making Spinoza jokes while waiting for the steel to heat up.

John,

WOW!

An expert in four areas that I know only a smattering about. Actually precious little.

Ah Spinoza!    The lens grinder that ascended the Mount Olympus of polymathic genius.

I especially like one of his aphorisms, namely,  "You cannot legislate morality".

It is as true today, as it was in the seventeenth century.

Wish you guys were closer by.

SLAG.

An object lesson in "Think Before You Act". I made five significant errors of judgement in quick succession, and bled for it. 

1. Having realized that the bit of sheet steel I was raising had some paint on it, I decided to hit it with the angle grinder with a cup brush.

2. I did not fasten it down, but held it in my hand.  

3. I didn't take a second to put on a glove. 

4. When the brush (inevitably) grabbed and spun the workpiece, I didn't instantly let it go. 

5. At this point, bad decision zero came into play: I hadn't filed the edges of the workpiece smooth beforehand. 

Result: four parallel cuts across the pad of my thumb.  Nothing deep enough to require stitches, and only one of which bled very much. I was very, very lucky that it wasn't worse.

(On a side note, the store brand "Waterproof Strong Strips" from Discount Drug Mart (local Ohio drugstore chain) are easily the best Bandaid-type product I have ever used, especially for the price.)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Many a tale of folks drilling sheet metal and it doing the blender act!

(Or worse I've met about a dozen people who have managed to drill through sheet metal and into their leg...)

I've seen too many do that with a drill press.  Not as forgiving as a hand held drill.  Clamps/vises are the rule!

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

In just 5 months this thread has had 1,001 posts and 31,288 views.

Thank you Littleblacksmith for an interesting thread.

Yes, it was a clean hit creating this topic!

The motor of my forge ventillator burned down at the Saturday's fair - happy thoughts, happy thoughts... So in spite of I should have to forge a lot today I had to find some motorisation solution for the demo forge. I'm off to the woods on Friday but when I get back I'm demoing the next day. Exciting. Having a spare motor seems pretty obvious now, it did not earlier... Finally I got a nice motor, hopefully I can get some help to install it while I'm away.

2 hours ago, arkie said:

I've seen too many do that with a drill press.  Not as forgiving as a hand held drill.  Clamps/vises are the rule!

As I get older, all I have to do is look at machinery and I bruise or bleed. I really should own stock in Johnson & Johnson bandaid.:D

I like it, it looks stable and handy.

My mig gun has a lever trigger and hangs nicely on the rim around my little table or the loop on my welding cart. A fellow I used to work with had a piece of tubing attached to a welding magnet. 

Running a bunch of wire out is always a PITA. I'm always looking at solutions.

Frosty The Lucky.

made a variation of a JABOD forge with no screws/nails, and that is portable. can be seen here-

also did some playing around and made a double leaf key chain, on one of them I did a new style of leafs, I'm sure yall can figure out which one that is, and don't really like it. But, ya live and you learn.

Worked on a pair of tongs and a woodworking chisel for Kaleb the chisel just needs heat treating, which will happen tomorrow, and will finish the tongs tomorrow. The chisel started as 3/4" round coil spring, and is 3/4 wide now, by about a 1/4" thick with a flat grind. this is my first ever wood working chisel and first socket, so I'm all right with it.

IMG_6604[1].JPG

IMG_6609[1].JPG

IMG_6606[1].JPG

IMG_6610[1].JPG

IMG_6611[1].JPG

IMG_6615[1].JPG