I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks Guys!

The air conditioning got fixed, so that's nice. I went over to a friends house and he and I did some forging. Put a bottom on the porta-BOD, it's all right.

Here is a pair of tongs I made yesterday for Kaleb. I will say, these are not my best pair I have made. hold 1/4" flat, and 1/4" round.

I unfortunately I have not gotten around to working on that chisel. Hopefully tomorrow, but that's not the first time I've said that.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6619[1].JPG

IMG_6620[1].JPG

IMG_6622[1].JPG

IMG_6623[1].JPG

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

No the chin is definitely there.  I carefully hide the bottom of my face with a beard.

A beard that could easily stop a sword blade, if the pictures are to be believed.

9 hours ago, gmbobnick said:

you get a line, I'll get a pole...

I bet some people are like, "what? What does that have anything to do with the picture??"

hahaha.....

good music.

Littleblacksmith 

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

Put in some work fitting the crown plate on the greathelm. 

Do you intend to Braze on some ornamentation or at least etch in a big "X marks the spot" target for the warhammer?

Neat bottle openers. The copper rivet is a nice touch.

I made a long horn bull thing to hold my cards on the shop shelf. I make a lot of things with the longhorn bull design, so it sits well there. The horse shoe nails hold the cards well, but after I had done that I realised I should have just bent the ends of the shoe up to retain the cards in position. Duh!  Next time.

bull card holder 2.JPG

bull card holder1.JPG

9 hours ago, Lou L said:

Do you intend to Braze on some ornamentation or at least etch in a big "X marks the spot" target for the warhammer?

It's for my son and more a fantasy piece than useable armor (the metal is fairly thin gauge, for one thing), so the decoration is going to be a mounted pair of antler spikes, one on each side. 

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

flat top helms are known for their "landing strips"; conicals shed blows better.

True, but the flat top is a bit easier for this novice making his first piece of armor. 

(That said, I have been tremendously annoyed at some of the helmet designs I see on "Game of Thrones".     Some of them seem designed to catch blows rather then shed them, and almost all of them leave the face exposed.  There was a scene in the first season where two characters joust with open-face helmets, and there are any number of times when characters go into battle without any helmets at all, even when otherwise fully armored.)

On your son's helm---make the antler tines mounted as break aways (the scary strong rare earth magnets come to mind) It will get messed around with and the chance to catch a tine and torque a neck will be high!

Medieval addons tended to be paper mache or leather and so not act as "fool killers"

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

On your son's helm---make the antler tines mounted as break aways (the scary strong rare earth magnets come to mind) It will get messed around with and the chance to catch a tine and torque a neck will be high!

That would also give him the opportunity to try out different placements and alignments. Thanks!

And the shaping and riveting on Bubba's greathelm is all finished!

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

It's a bit big, but he's a growing boy!

This is based on Alan Bauldree's patterns from the Armour Archive. Lots of stuff I'd do differently if I were doing it again, but it was a fun exercise. 

That's pretty sweet.  Your ability to make things freecycling style is amazing.  Now scroung some padding to line it.  Not because it is necessary, but because the unholy fumes that engulf you when you don a well-used helmet are a rite of passage for any SCA fighter.

Nicely done JHCC.

Tried my hand at what I'm going to call a "hanging trivet" . Used on a cooking tripod, used with skillets and Non-bailed pans/pots. It was a good rivet exercise, and also to get everything lined up was...fun....All holes were punched and drifted, so again, getting the holes lined up was fun. I was actually surprised how they did line up. I basically made it up as I went, and see quite a few things I could have and should have done differently. 

Also started on a 2.5lb rounding hammer (yes this one will be for you Gergely if things go as planned)

I did as much as I can with a hand hammer, so forged the billet square (started as 2" round), and then punched the eye, which took only a little more than 2 heats.

also did a little Damascus key chain using a scrap left over from a knife. 113 layers. now just need to drill a hole for the key ring

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6645[1].JPG

IMG_6646[1].JPG

IMG_6647[1].JPG

IMG_6650[1].JPG

IMG_6651[1].JPG

IMG_6653[1].JPG

IMG_6655[1].JPG

IMG_6657[1].JPG

That's what I was thinking.

I was wanting to use 3/4"x1/4" for the outside frame and then for the inner bars 1/4x1/2", but didn't have any 3/4"x1/4", or at least not enough.

Littleblacksmith