I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Here are some photos of the bending jig.

Three 1/2" posts: one square, two round. 

IMG_2871.JPG

Set up as a bending fork for scrolling freehand:

IMG_2872.JPG

Set up with a 1/2" drive socket as a fixed-radius jig:

IMG_2873.JPG

When I get a chance, I think I'll weld these to some bits of angle iron, for a bit more stability and ease of adjustment.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I was going to build a forge but a friend near me let me borrow his. This is the fruits of day one. That is an oak board handle with brass pins. The finished looking one is quenched (while the other one isn't) and and now skates a file with a fine edge to match. Slices some water bottles and thick cardboard clean like it wasn't there. Also I think I'm now addicted. It's just simple, clean fun. I have some stock welded together and I think I'll try forge welding next. Also I love that I got two whole knives per file. 

image.thumb.jpg.727ffc3e77711046c2f50650601953f8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.6ea60145004b6ec5eb17851af9f23603.jpg

On 2017-6-17 at 5:32 AM, Frosty said:

Yeah, getting rings like that even and smooth isn't as easy as you'd think. Try modeling the ring with wire on a long tapered alignment , prick punch, spud wrench or bull pins are excellent, or pick a piece of rd. rod the dia you like. If you use the prick punch use a sharpie or something to mark the dia. you want.

Mark where you want the center of the loop away from the ends. Heat it and wrap it around the mandrel till the ends cross, in line facing opposite directions. Heat it up, drop it on the mandrel and twist the ends till the finial is right. 

Another method than using the mandrel is to place the ring in the vise with the ends up and twist it. 

It really just takes practice and if you don't do this for a while rust grows quickly though some folk just have a knack. I have to work at it to get rings right.

Hit the garage, yard, etc. sales with an eye out for punches, chisels, Allan wrenches, etc. A little sweet talking and you can usually get them thrown in on another sale or buy them all for not much. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty I'll give both of those techniques a go.

That is or was a boring bar right? How did it spark test?  As it is now it looks like the beard is almost going to touch the handle. Hmmmm, I look forward to seeing pics as you work on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

51 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

Man you really messed that thing up!

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty hard to forge back into the original shape :)

38 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That is or was a boring bar right? How did it spark test?  As it is now it looks like the beard is almost going to touch the handle. Hmmmm, I look forward to seeing pics as you work on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty! I'm not really familiar with the special names of lathe tools. It was like the longest one in the picture below:

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

It sparked like 1045-1055 plain medium carbon steel. I have a big bunch of old lathe tools and I like them for sheperd's axes and stuff. 

I had some trouble with the beard going in to far. Now it's okay. Next time I'll remember to leave longer neck between the blade part and the hole.

Bests:

Gergely

Yes indeedy, those are boring bars they're used to turn inside a part. Say machining the bore of a cannon barrel for example. No, it's not a coincidence the same word can be subject, noun, verb and adverb in the same sentence. Common origin you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have to tell you, Frosty, the meaning 'hole' and 'to make a hole' is still a bit difficult and comes slow for me when I hear/read the word: bore/boring. 

Also as a Hungarian this thing you mention about words in their unchanged state can be noun, verb and adverb was a real meltdown in the beginning. (Luckily I'm a linguist for my original profession so I've seen much worse :) )

Bests:

Gergely

2 hours ago, Gergely said:

Yeah, it's gonna be pretty hard to forge back into the original shape :)

Hi Frosty! I'm not really familiar with the special names of lathe tools. It was like the longest one in the picture below:

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

It sparked like 1045-1055 plain medium carbon steel. I have a big bunch of old lathe tools and I like them for sheperd's axes and stuff. 

I had some trouble with the beard going in to far. Now it's okay. Next time I'll remember to leave longer neck between the blade part and the hole.

Bests:

Gergely

I think only the long one is a boring bar. The others are just standard left, facing, parting/grooving, thread cutting(?) and right. With the paint I presume that they are tipped with either HSS or carbide depending on their generation.

Alan

Not to bore anyone further, but the search term for chipping away at the base composition of the tool steel would ascertained after multiple googoo passes using the following term, as seen on the tool shank:

ISO 8 R 20 20 K10

Which refers to the carbide once brazed into the end of the tool, but should lead to the composition of the shank.

Unfortunately, I haven't time to be milling about.

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Then when we use those same lathe tools in our shaper and get to rename them to add to the confusion.....!:lol:

looking forward to seeing this axe finished,

Yet another twist - this turn of a phrase be less boring than first thought!

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.hahn-kolb.de/ORION-internal-lathe-chisel-carbide-D4973-ISO-8-square-20mm-x-20mm-K10-20-R/17641359.sku/en/US/EUR/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjSsKbQ-8zUAhUQwGMKHZzuDe4QFggNMAE&sig2=sH0xXE5qw_N7KO81jld-7g&usg=AFQjCNG6WA6I-WbZWFIazl-sPFihyQa89A

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Addenda ad Nauseum

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Then when we use those same lathe tools in our shaper and get to rename them to add to the confusion.....!:lol:

looking forward to seeing this axe finished,

Could you use those in a shaper? The ones on the old machine I knew, I remember as being much heavier top to bottom (or in shaper terms front to back).

I hated the machine...but Angus my fellow student loved it. I was always waiting for it to go bang...to be fair it never did.

Alan

So no forging tonight but had a lump hammer that came off its handle a week ago which was fun. 

So one of the faces had been distorted with use, so thought I would make a broad cross pein. I am pretty happy with it overall.

Cheers,

Luke 

IMG-20170620-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170620-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170620-WA0000.jpg

been busy with 3 weeks of primitive survival camp. I did sell 2 knives there and a hatchet, so that was good. No one has bought the fire steels though, which I though was quite surprising. The crowd wasn't what I was expecting though, most of 'em had never used a knife. I know right.

A few day ago, a radio station that I listen to had an event, I won a shirt! that's the first thing I have ever one in a raffle. And also now the radio broadcaster guy wants to come over and have me give him a blacksmithing class, so that's fun.

sold some coke, did a little blacksmithing demonstration, they want to take a class.

oh, and the survival instructor wants to take a class, and have me give classes through his company, that way he deals with all the liability and everything like that, but I would be the one to profit from it, not that I really care, I would give classes for free, I just enjoy it enough that that is my pay.

Bought a work bench off craigslist for $25, which isn't bad, cant make one cheaper than that after all the time and lumber cost unless it was reclaimed wood maybe. Got that put in the shop, It makes a huge difference! also cleaned the shop!

Made my dad a skinning knife for fathers day, and also I included some pictures a knife for a kid at the camp. the "A.T.M." is his initials. First time doing a guard like that.

Oh, and bought some mesquite 1"x6" for $3 a piece at a garage sale, that's what the last picture of the knife handle is made from

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6510[1].JPG

IMG_6512[1].JPG

IMG_6516[1].JPG

IMG_6517[1].JPG

IMG_6529[1].JPG

IMG_6527[1].JPG

IMG_6528[1].JPG

Edited by littleblacksmith
forgot a little and made pics smaller. sorry theres so many.

Thank you! by the way, nice axe. You seem to like making the war hammers, and hatchets, etc..

it weights a lot too!

Littleblacksmith

Thanks! Well, it seems I can't deny it... ;)

I have a learning route planned in my mind (not too carefully, though) that leads towards the complex shaped African throwing knives's designs. And while developing skills I need to get some incomes, too :)

Bests:

Gergely

This is what I've done that past 3 days. I made my first and second hammer's, ones a 2.5 pound cross pein made out of 1045. The second one is a 1.5 rounding hammer also made out of 1045. Yesterday I made a nail header and made my first nails. Today I went and checked out a place in Mexico Maine called Rare Wood USA LLC (THIS PLACE IS AWESOME they have over 170 kinds of awesome wood). to buy exotic wood for handles.  IMG_4665.thumb.JPG.937b50030a57b8fdc8091d8024419a98.JPGIMG_4666.thumb.JPG.104fa825071e96e2e8b64fbbd7414f35.JPGIMG_4668.thumb.JPG.1dfc0ac62520287acae24a20427f01fc.JPGIMG_4669.thumb.JPG.1438811ecd9f7b7c351b51855c4c8ede.JPGIMG_4671.thumb.JPG.8a2b4b2fa271da23e7ed8ace0a65c4b9.JPGThe wood that I bought (from the top Right down) is Redheart x3 some type of rosewood x3, cocobolo, tulipwood? Wenge x3, amar ebony x2 and tulipwood? On second thought it may be amar ebony x4 and the two on the bottom many be rosewood

Hi, nice work on the hammers! Also those wood samples are beautiful - the redheart is exceptional, it's a pity we don't have those around here.

I tried to confirm Mark's theory a bit, so made two crowbill type weapons.  Also messed up the heat treat of the bearded axe second time (!) and reshaped a scrapyard axe head. Craft fair in the weekend so better take hurry :)

594b2c4929826_201706varjuk.thumb.jpg.e5666f9524237cf9f94e3259bb60efa6.jpg

Dylan Sawicki, one thing I will recommend is at the last heats on the hammers, to forge them down to a lower temperature, that way they look cleaner. attached is a picture of a friend of mine hammers. All he makes is tools and hammers, and so he has gotten really good, and of course your first isn't going to be your best, and for a first that's actually not bad at all. If you have a flatter than I would have gone over the face and cheek and peen on the cross pein to make it completely flush and smooth. Now, the picture is of a 9lb sledge.

Image may contain: outdoor

some recent work. I did my first "daswulf" style bottle opener out of a wrench, and I must say that it is the easiest and simplest bottle opener I have ever made.

IMG_6537[1].JPG

IMG_6538[1].JPG

IMG_6541[1].JPG

IMG_6542[1].JPG

IMG_6543[1].JPG

IMG_6545[1].JPG