I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

9 hours ago, Gergely said:

I tried to confirm Mark's theory a bit, so made two crowbill type weapons.  Also messed up the heat treat of the bearded axe second time (!) and reshaped a scrapyard axe head. Craft fair in the weekend so better take hurry :)

remind me of a pickeroon. Nice. Do you just sell the head? do you make or buy the handles?

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sell them handled. There is a 85 y old joiner who makes the handles and even put the heads on the handles for me. I like him a lot and it's important (for me) that he can do this. It costs me a bit, but worth it both timevise and morally.

About the name: I know crowbill is a bit different but these called 'crow' or 'crow sheperd's axe' in Hungary so I thought to go with that name . At least the crow is there :)

On 20/06/2017 at 8:46 PM, Alan Evans said:

Could you use those in a shaper? The ones on the old machine I knew, I remember as being much heavier top to bottom (or in shaper terms front to back).

I hated the machine...but Angus my fellow student loved it. I was always waiting for it to go bang...to be fair it never did.

Alan

Size is relative Alan, most of my lathe tools fit my shaper. The heavier tool you remeber will only fit in certain types of tool holder, ie the  slotted post type with the single clamping bolt in the end, common on shapers but also used on simpler lathes.

Thanks Elijah! It was the second time I had done the two different wood handle construction, so it was a learning experience, and the first time I did an etched blade, and the first time I used copper pins, and the first time using the wood I used, which I don't even know what the wood is. But It went not too bad.

Littleblacksmith

I was working on my post vise mount here at my rental place. I picked up a heavy duty postvise at quad state for US$45 a couple of years ago so I could have a "robustus" one down here, (vise has 4.75" jaws and the leg is over 1.125" in diameter all the way down).

It didn't have a mounting bracket or spring so I forged a spring and worked out a mounting bracket with the minimal amount of scrap I have down here---don't want to annoy the landlord as landlords who think blacksmithing is a *good* thing on their property are rare!

It's sort of a modified columbian mount using a forged down non-galvanized U bolt to go around the non-moving leg; but instead of angle iron I used a piece of 5" structural tubing and the tubing is mounted to the carport support with lag bolts.  Today I *finally* mounted the stays to help keep it from torquing to the sides when heavily used.

I drilled the worn pivot holes to the next size up and replaced the damaged pivot bolt.  The spring terminates in a spiral on either side of the moving leg---just for fun.

casitaPostVise.jpg

casitaPostVise2.jpg

Let's see, the last thing I did in the shop was clear the way and load some kit to demo at Art on Fire Saturday the 24th. It went well, not a huge crowd but more folk wanting to stop and talk about smithing than usual so I called it a good demo. 

Right now I'm off to unload the truck and see if I can organize things a little better than they were when I took it out. Yeah, like I'm an organizational genius, what I REALLY need is an "Organizational Jeanie."  :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I made a mediocre (first attempt) hot cut today using some mystery steel. Also, I failed miserably at trying to make a cylinder for a candle holder I was working on. Only after shutting down for the day did I realize that I have cylinders of steel just the right diameter just needs to be cut to length, I have some pipe that would be almost perfect. At the end I included pictures of the ends of the mystery steel I made my cut off from if anyone can clue me in as to what it was before I started cutting it to use.

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

worked some on restoring a cross cut saw, and got some pattern welded steel billets welded up, tomorrow I will forge weld them solid. The chain will be along the spine, and the chainsaw chain along the edge, if all goes as planned of course.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6572[1].JPG

IMG_6574[1].JPG

In three weeks I'll be going on my yearly "guys only" camping trip that includes about 25 guys so I decided to make 25 different bottle openers as gifts.  I figured it would be fun to offer them and would be great practice.  I hit the forge today and grabbed two pieces of steel that had been previously mashed when friends stopped by and wanted to see what blacksmithing was like.  Both pieces of steel already had some serious shaping (mostly not aesthetically pleasing) so I challenged myself to figure out how to turn them into bottle openers. 

The first was challening as it as it was already drawn out a lot so I tried to get creative.

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.ea75cb1ab40ae5bb58ffae89506f7b12.JPG

It was a bent up piece of rebar so I decided to keep it tough and purposely put hammer marks i to it and left the rebar markings on the final inch of the handle.  The next started ugly but turned into a pretty straightforward bottle opener.  It was made from some slightly mangled 5/8 square stock.

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.54343af2df73b465e79a2a64c9f7cad7.JPG

It's actually going to be challenging to make 25 distinctly unique bottle openers.  I think that, by the fourth or fifth, they will end up turning out nearly the same but with small changes.  Here are both.

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.fcdacb23d2bdfb3bb96d18634a82c03f.JPG

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Michael: The profile looks good but you'll have better results if you keep the scale brushed off while forging so it doesn't leave such deep pitting. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I need to brake down and buy myself a proper brush. The cheap grill cleaning brushes just don't cut it half the time. 

3 hours ago, John McPherson said:

Michael Cochran: looks like someone re-purposed an axle or perhaps PTO spline into a digging bar to me. Which would make your hardy a third-hand use, or would that be second tier up-cycling?

Thanks for the insight. I figured it had to be decent steel since it had the splines. I thought it could possible been an axle but wasn't sure. To clarify on it a little, the main body is a solid 1" round and it was about 40" long. I'll see how this holds up and if it turns out decent I'll see about making some special purpose little hammers from the same bar. 

Nice axes, I'm jealous of them. Is one of them a Collins Hudson bay? I really like those profiles. If you ever come across any, you know that are just junk, pieces of scrap, that you don't want you know where to send 'em!:)

Littleblacksmith

:) All right, Mark! I still have some scrap axes left so... Ehh, the shipping fees don't worth the trouble ;) You're better to make some on your own - those will be even prettier, knowing your work.

No, no American made axes around here. These are all Hungarian and I think I had one old Soviet made - because it was made of some very tough oil hardening alloyed tool steel that was used only by Soviet tool factories (as far as I know. It was sold in an eyeblink, of course, being a rarity nowadays.)

Now heavy days ahead of me. I have 3 days to fill up my inventory as I leave Friday morning to an "archeo-smelter" camp: we make charcoal, build ancient style furnaces, collect bog iron ore, do the smelting and make some old style wrought iron stuff. I'm pretty excited! 

Bests:

Gergely