• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it’s at least twice as fast. I haven’t yet forged with the current setup, but I’m looking forward to it. 

If my calculations are correct, the new pump (if I can get it working) would double the speed again, but at the cost of halving the tonnage. That may be an acceptable tradeoff; if not, I could bump the power up with a stronger motor at some future point.

single stage pump or dual stage?  

A single stage will be faster for the stroke unless it reaches it's max output pressure. A dual stage will have same speed (if volume is the same as single stage) till it kicks in the 2nd stage.  this means that one can actually get away with a smaller motor with faster cycle times to engagement and then the slower speed kicks in but the tonnage can go up.  Less volume means less hp needed. 

Finished my latest round of upgrades/modifications to my 2x72 belt grinder.  I used a leg from a semi trailer for a pedestal, and that gives around 15 inches height adjustment.  Put it on lifting casters and fitted the ends with adjustable feet so I can level it out even if the floor isn't.  I also installed my 8 inch wheel under the flat platen and made it adjustable so I can rotate the platen one way to work on the 8 inch wheel or inclined flat platen.  Rotating the other way gives me the 2 inch wheel and the slack belt.  Of course I couldn't stop there so I gave myself the option to use it horizontally or vertically.  After all that it got a coat of paint.  Now I just have to use it for a while until enough ideas run through my mind for the next round of modifications.

060.thumb.jpg.d0d727d97e2920a05e91e517ddce6d28.jpg

061.thumb.jpg.bc46cccd06ce708bf4be7e911267d15f.jpg

5BFE1D1A-FA7A-4714-8A66-34D98FAB6328.thumb.jpeg.12265996e9cbfd4cb4be3e980835bb82.jpeg4AB5F3AA-5E06-4898-AE7E-75C4E59E88D8.thumb.jpeg.28a773bc3d94b59a7f8cb0e507928fc5.jpegF293CE2C-7496-42A5-97A3-46A51C9FEA4E.thumb.jpeg.29f70907ef0b8b49847e00fd3388d0fc.jpeg409BD0B7-12D6-4DE3-B29B-2A896BC1A32B.thumb.jpeg.fec495eca2d2e958b996ac7d55b70543.jpeg

Been working on an outdoors knife for quite some time now. Finally put the finishing touches on it and I am thrilled by the way it turned out. This project was quite the learning experience especially the getting the leather sheath put together, leather really doesn't move like steel :lol:!! The blade is made out of 1084 with an Eastern Red Cedar handle (becoming a favorite for handle materials). 

That is beautiful alexandr. As is everything I've seen of yours. I, on the other hand, am struggling to make simple things lately. I made a 5 1/2" door hook today. Very simple, but at least it came out good. Then just knocked around with a couple of other things. Seems lately I'm in a slump or something. I'll get it figured out and start posting pictures again 

7 minutes ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

maybe that increases its hardness?

Absolutely!!!!! Around here, all we have is Western Red Cedar. It's more of a softwood "weed" more than a tree and, in my opinion, worth using for little more than Native American flutes. But it excels at that and the occasional Cedar Chest.  What you have is a really pretty piece of wood for that handle.  I'm envious. 

The owls look great aus. They would look good mounted on a base the way you have them displayed on the anvil. Burrowing owls are one of my favorite critters so  I'm a little partial to most owl art.  They sure would look good on a shelf or mantle but that's just my opinion.

Pnut

Das, another great guitar. Did the last one have a fender shaped headstock? This one looks like a Gibson.

Edited by pnut