I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Nice work Billy. 

D, I've already been asked to make skeletal hands to hold a future commission. :) Great idea, In the future works. 

Finished the Les Paul. Ugh. Sometimes I think I can bite off more than I can chew and have to admit so. Got one day left and have the show Saturday. Thought I could get two guitars made and even this one was rushed. Nope.

20190913_002120.thumb.jpg.9c5420d443b7f3c0bbfe68570c1d066c.jpg

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely amazing, even down to the colours on the scrap.

I hope you're charging a fortune for these, Das, because they're worth it!

Speaking of different guitar types- have you considered a "flying V"? Very recognisable guitar and would look cool in scrap.

I find it tricky to communicate in an internet forum since there's no real inflection or facial cues and changes in tone. Believe it or not those silly emoticons actually help. Without them a harmless and well intentioned joke can come off as down right rude. 

Pnut

5 minutes ago, pnut said:

Without them a harmless and well intentioned joke can come off as down right rude.

I agree.  But I've learned to always assume most people try not to be rude,  so I give them the benefit of the doubt. (unless they smack me between the eyes) :lol:

Chris

18 minutes ago, pnut said:

For some reason I can't post an emoji.

There should be a little smiley-face button in the top of your editing window for inserting emoji, just to the right of the "<>" for inserting code and to the left of the control that allows you to insert/remove a bulleted list.

:ph34r:

That's a good policy. I hope people are generally not trying to be rude also but the internet in most cases has proven me wrong. IFORGEIRON has been the exception but it's not a place for someone who can't handle being called out if they're off the mark or can't handle the unvarnished truth. Basically not the place for folks who want to be mollycoddled.

Pnut

JHCC, I've tried it and it always says that I've inserted an unauthorized character. I'm going to try it now.:o eureka. It Wouldn't work from the keyboard for some reason.

In the upper left corner of the body there is what looks to be a small gear with some nails around it and a screw coming out of the middle. I can see the ones that would be for the strap and i see nuts (?) where the volume knob and such would be so i ask what is the screw sticking out for? 

I was also thinking that it would not be that far of a stretch to making a workable version. Seems just a few tweaks on fret location and string spacing, all that would be needed is a couple pickups attached to it. 

Billy, the part in the upper left of the body, the screw is the pickup switch/toggle. And the part around it is a "slice" of the winding part of a motors rotor. There would be many of these basically sealed together and the windings go on them. Don't believe i have a picture on my phone of the assembly.

To make it playable the body and neck would need more bracing. I keep it open since these are wall hangers, and lighter is much better for that. 

Thomas, I'm certainly no functional guitar maker, so I'm sure if I did make one it would sound like scrap. :lol:

Ha-ha, Daswulf, my little wife says I'm addicted to IFI !!!!!   Here and an hour and a half of on-line blacksmithing videos most every night are where I'm learning all about this stuff you guys and gals do so artistically.  Hope I can get there some day.  If I don't, it won't be for not trying! :lol:

Chris