• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What did I do in the shop today?  Well, since I've no forge yet, I took my frustrations out on a piece of wood on the anvil practicing my hammer control.  Been doing a fair amount of that recently.  My wife came out to my shop and said she'd heard me hammering away and was curious (since I've no forge) just what I was doing.  I just laughed and said "killin' wood".  She just shook her head and walked back to the house. Didn't say anything else. :D  I'm trying to learn better control of and less ham-fisted grip on the handle.  I'm beginning to think I might benefit from more squared off handles, kind of like Brian Brazeal uses.  I don't like "copying" people,  ( just because of who they are ) but I think a more squared handle would help me register more precisely the position of the head.

Chris

As always Alexandr words fail me. I'm going to have to come up with new ones to describe how exquisite your work is in my eyes. 

Chris: Okay, enough banging around on wood. Either build yourself a temporary bean can forge or start hammering copper. Copper forges beautifully though it work hardens abruptly which is good training, it'll teach you to listen to the work. Ground wire from the electric supply is nice stuff, there's plenty there to make jewelry and leaf pulls and key fobs. 

For funzises copper forge welds very easily at below red heat flux or not as works for you. 

Don't make me have to tell you to use a LIGHT hammer on copper wire. Sing out when you run into the problem, the secret will surprise you.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Sing out when you run into the problem, the secret will surprise you.

Not sure I understand what you mean here, Frosty.

Jennifer, that stand is lookin' good!  Might it be nearly as heavy as the anvil????? :lol:

Chris

I decided to try my hand at bladesmithing, so I started out with a couple of swords.:ph34r: I banged them out pretty quickly too, only took 10 minutes to make 2

997522029_IMG_20190831_1346392402.thumb.jpg.f98eca09c0bfa77b22b4626256d4e4cf.jpg

I may end up making a few more to slay the muenster of the cheese plate at our next gathering. 

After that arduous task, I finished the key hook for my sister's birthday. Besides the leaves which were ⅛"x½" bar, everything else was found on the farm. The petals were from a sheet off an old water heater, old barbed wire for the stem and a cover off some old farm equipment for the base.

523866929_IMG_20190831_1331093802.thumb.jpg.4f3cc230e928f8d4e9b1e7856a46feee.jpg

50166987_IMG_20190831_1331215692.thumb.jpg.5110cc60e065d9ed4ec9557b7b656cbd.jpg

1578142866_IMG_20190831_1332411072.thumb.jpg.d51bf387714d12d7dd32c5426eea0bd3.jpg

My own bandsaw problem today was the tire coming off the drive wheel on my horizontal saw as I was cutting up chunks of 4140 to sell at Quad-State. Very happy with it otherwise, though: it was breezing though 2-1/2” round with no trouble at all for the first five pieces. 

Made another bottle opener:

75E3DF72-22E1-40F4-923B-75737ED24FE1.jpeg

And worked on a couple of other projects before I ran out of propane. Much of the session was taken up with explaining to the neighbors’ kids what I was doing, which was definitely well worth the time.

Thanks guys. I don't have a welder (or know how to use one), so I tried threading the leaves with a tap and die set. I just didn't realize that the posts were too close to put nuts onto. I ended up peening them over and got a really tight hold on them. All in all, I'm happy with the first work I've done that has multiple pieces to it.

That's a nice looking bottle opener JHCC