• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

today "in the shop" I stood 5 hours in shorts in the rain in the river banging away with a chisel at a stone for a tool im making.
its not the stone i needed but I got a stone I could use.
also, understandably, people who heard the banging came to marvel at the strange man, in short, in the river., in the rain.

other than strange looks, this what I got, a nice convex whetstone :"D

IMG_20190912_013259[1].jpg

IMG_20190912_013315[1].jpg

IMG_20190911_153309[1].jpg

9 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Depending upon where in the world you are located and other factors, you may very well be breaking the law by removing river rocks.

the consensuses about "taking things out of the wilderness"  in Germany has different rules all over.
in my area, when I asked the police regarding, wood, stones, animal horns/bones, pine pitch.

they said on private land: 
"no! nothing is allowed!" which is obvious. 

on public places:
"yes but only as little as can be carried(no truck/car loads)"
"yes but only dead wood and smaller sticks"
"yes but only if already dead animal parts and only if not killed by hunter or ranger and weight limited to what one hand can carry"
"no mining, no digging, no felling, no hunting -without permit or owner permission"

Im not sure this is the actual "law" but the "only as much as you can carry" rule I've encountered a lot in regards to the issue, 
except on private land, which you're not supposed to enter in the first place.

Guitar’s looking good, Das!

May I make a suggestion for the next one? If you space the “frets“ more like those on a playable guitar, that would be a very nice little detail. You could even make a permanent story stick (say, a piece of 1/2” square with notches at the proper spacing) to use as a guide in all subsequent builds.

DHarris, I haven't been angling the headstock back. I've been making them to be wall mounted and tho I would have some room to angle the headstock back, I honestly didn't even think about it. If I ever go insane enough to try to make one playable I'd probably get a bit more accurate with it. 

Thanks John, thats actually a great idea. So far I've just been eyeballing the spacing. I try to get it looking somewhat close. It also gets odd with the cut nails I've been using.

Usually I just peek at an image on my phone then put it away and go at it. Is something were more dire to accuracy I'd go off measurements and have printed references. With these I'm just shooting for artist eyeball accuracy. ;)

Do like the fret guide idea. 

If it were me, I'd put a bar next to the fretboard of a playable guitar, mark the locations with a sharpie, take it back to the shop, and cut the notches with an angle grinder. If the guitar's owner were uncomfortable with having a steel bar next to their instrument, I'd use a strip of wood or paper and transfer the marks to the steel later.

14 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

If I ever go insane enough to try to make one playable

Reminds me of something a friend likes to say: "I may be crazy, but I'm not nuts!"

Das, i love the way you used the trans steels and clutch plates. 

The string wind up bolts, arent they called banjo bolts? Or am i mistaken? We call the fitting on some trans cooler lines banjo bolts and i always figured that it came from the string bolts on a banjo. 

I am amazed yall can see a Les Paul, or a Fender, or what ever. I see guitar.  

Thanks Billy. I just know them as tuners or tuning pegs. 

Yeah, seeing the different makes and styles of guitars comes from knowing them, or of them.  Classic cars are great. For the most part modern cars are all blending into eachother to me, and I work on them almost daily. 

I feel ya on the blending thing Daz, feels like i am working on the same car everyday. 

I love me some good music. Just never really paid attention to the "tools" of the trade. 

So today i made my daughter a hair tier backer thingy. 

20190912_191450.thumb.jpg.ed4ecf03c396b877ed2b3864b82100aa.jpg

Maybe a little heavy but she does have dreads so it may hang just right. It is made from a garage door spring, hardened and tempered. 

Still needs a little filing and clean up.