I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

21 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

There's lot's packed in that tiny little package!

When I was around horse people the term we (guys) used was "Littlebit." It was/(is?) a term of endearment to most of us, lowlifes not counting. My grandmother used to say, "Dynamite comes in little packages."

Good looking vise stand Chris. I think you'll discover you'll prefer it more in the open. Against the wall like that restricts movement around it.

I really like the carving knife, you like to do itsy bitsy detail don't you?

Glad you'reactions were good CGL we all get burns, some petty annoyances, some requiring medical attention. Another step into the craft. Carry on. I have a squeeze bottle of aloe gel for the more annoying minor burns and a tube of Silvadene for the more serious ones. 

Recently I ran across a new(ish?) product in the pain relief isle of the local Fredy's called, "Armor Gel" by Silver Biotics. Says it's 
"First Aid burn and Relief" soothes and relieves burns and minor wounds. 

I've used it a couple times and while it's not Silvadene it works quite a bit better than aloe. I'm not plugging the stuff just passing the info on.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frosty, I just put a piece of plywood behind the stand so the background wouldn't be cluttered with the table saw, and all sorts of other shop stuff.  It can stand free and rigid in the center of a room.  I eventually want to bolt it to the floor.................but won't do that until I've used the forge a while and decide where it's permanent spot should be.

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I built a router sled and screwed level rails to the stump to route a flat bottom.  Of course my nice clean room is now an inch deep in router chips! :lol:  Just ate dinner and am headed back out to rout recesses so I end up with three feet on the stump...........a tripod is always "anti-rock" when it comes to concrete floors.  Hope to get that finished tonight and put a coat of Anchor Seal on it.  I'll flip it when the Anchor Seal dries and route the other end (the top) flat.  I'm having a ball.  I can almost smell the forge burning. ;)

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

When I was around horse people the term we (guys) used was "Littlebit." It was/(is?) a term of endearment to most of us, lowlifes not counting. My grandmother used to say, "Dynamite comes in little packages."

I was on the small side growing up and used to get the encouraging "Dynamite comes in small packages" lecture every time my size caused me to feel bad.   Oh........ And I call my wife Lil'Bit.  She loves it.  Definitely a term of endearment.

Today I demonstrated at the Hardwick fair and parted with some of my babies.  No table photos and should have some photos of my working on the way from passers-by. 

Also, sold a trivet which I was busy when it left the area so didn't take a photo of it finished but is just the smaller version finished with legs. 

20190817_130707.jpg

20190817_131054.jpg

20190630_164943.jpg

I just finished routing the three feet on the bottom of my stump and applied a generous coat of Anchor Seal.  Will have to wait about a week to flip it and rout the top side.  Sure going to be nice to have that project behind me.

Here's a picture of the sled setup.

p3562165857-4.jpg

And here's a picture of the routed feet and the Anchor Seal Coating.  I could use some input on the three "feet".  I've never done this "foot" thing before, and I'm wondering if the project too far into the center of the stump to be effective as a tripod.  It would be easy to re-cut them while it's still upside down.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

p3562165804-4.jpg

On my anvils that are mounted on stumps, after I flattened the ends of the stump I screwed in three short lag bolts in until the head was against the bottom of the stump. That way the wood is up off the slab and the stump has three points of contact. Always figured maybe the stump wouldn’t rot if it was off the floor. 

BD

Thanks Jimmyiorns.   

Chris I prefer my stumps with a hollow in the center with an edge lip about 3" wide.  I then move it around the forge floor till where I find it sits flat and stable.  I found that after a little while in use I could find that exact sweet spot time and time and time again. 

Because I yank and pull on my tooling on the anvil I am not a huge fan of tripod stands.. With this said  @JHCC anvil stand is pretty good and maybe the best stand I've seen for both simplicity and ruggedness. 

i never had any luck with lags in the bottom of the anvil as once I moved up to the 6lb hand hammer they simply sunk into the stump.. I tried them with washers and they too sunk into the Ash stump I used.. I then did the hollow and it worked very well. 

As a side note I always taper my blocks to match the feet and then taper down so the base is as wide as the log will allow.  Again this for the type of use I do stabilizes the anvil the best. 

Once i get back to forging again on a regular basis I'll post photo's of the shop as things fall into place as well as some other interesting aspects of using the side of the anvil to forge on as well as tool usage in the hardie hole that would knock over most anvils and stands. :)

Well to start the day a simple hook, been a while since i made one.

20190817_195115.thumb.jpg.d336f544a893bad02f4f4643b8f3bef1.jpg

Making my aunt  a coat rack. 4 spikes that will represent the crucifixion. I have not made the crosses but there will be 3 for Jesus and the 2 thieves on Golgatha. It will be spike, cross, spike, cross...etc.

20190817_195037.thumb.jpg.16775744bd0f572d65ec76887349781a.jpg

I need a slitter but my tongs are to small to hold the piece i am using for it, so as any blacksmith should do, need a tool make a tool. started a new set but then had to watch the grandkids so i just got them roughed out. Will finish tomorrow. A little refining and weld on some 1/2 round for reigns, rivet and done. 

20190817_195006.thumb.jpg.203962be16dcff034bf6d179c2c5d1d2.jpg

Was hanging out in someone elses shop today. John Steel and Chris Holts shop. Very happy for them to invite all of PAABA in. I know I couldnt fit so many in my lil shop. Was a great time with James Michael Walker demonstrating his treadle hammer and repouse and forge work. Very inspiring along with John an Chris's work. 

I have a lot more pictures but I'd have a ton of resizing to do. 

20190817_214749.thumb.jpg.bd6be4d07d998db616b90d6c6f1671a9.jpg

20190817_121205.thumb.jpg.e89203e6d4a23d8a29dfdb5642ae2f08.jpg

20190817_121104.thumb.jpg.3ce644ef81f203dcb08da69c71626ade.jpg

20190817_121049.thumb.jpg.e9be508565fbf57c11d3aaa730ab1d32.jpg

20190817_120018.thumb.jpg.10333fc84746d4f7b69a44f1e765abe6.jpg

20190817_104122.jpg

20190817_121151.jpg

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

When I was around horse people the term we (guys) used was "Littlebit." It was/(is?) a term of endearment to most of us, lowlifes not counting. My grandmother used to say, "Dynamite comes in little packages.

My Mom was a truck driver back when I was really young. "Lil' Bit" was her CB handle when she was working. My stepdad had a goofy one too. Too silly to repeat here.

Pnut

JHCC  & Jim,

Worked on my cross some more, thanks for the advise on what I did wrong on my previous one, I am see improvement.

IMG_0301.jpg.b1fab7a8c2c028da4029d9b98a99e674.jpg

One of them will be for my Aunt, I am using her late husband's forge, we will celebrate her 100 th. birthday this afternoon. If you met her you would think she was in her 70"s. 

IMG_0306.jpg.52ba720c67ffe84223acd03afc48f9f8.jpg

I learned to make the roses from others. If you just want to get your foot in the door on starting them there are petal kits available out there. Doesnt hurt to save one set as a template. 

There are also other ways to fully forge a rose. Depends on what you feel like doing. :)

Les: The only mistake I saw in your earlier cross, a really common beginner mistake, was too much overlap in the cuts. 

These look pretty darn nice. Remember, perfection is an antitheses to the old rugged cross. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Well as much as it's intimidating to follow behind alexandr and his work;), heres mine for today. First time I actually made a layout first and followed it. Got a little wonky because I really had to figure out where to bend it then got a little off and couldn't quite fix it. The drawing looked much better. All with forge, hammer and some scrolling tongs. I don't know if I could have used the vise to bend, but I wanted to learn as much as I could with as few tools as possible. It's just 1/4" stock, but man, it took forever. I will make more and will get better at the shape

20190818_192419.jpg