I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Pretty cool, CGL.    Does it ring like a dinner bell?  (And I think most of us would feel the same thing posting pics after Alexandr's.)

I finished my anvil stump base.  Top is as level as a billiard table.  Couldn't be happier..........unless I could put a 200# anvil on it! :lol:

Now the "honey-do" list takes precedence over blacksmithing stuff.  Gotto pour a concrete step for our back porch.  Now THAT ought to be a whole lot of fun! <_<

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a good idea. Wasn't sure what I was actually going to do with it. I started making one out of a horseshoe, but to draw it out long enough even for a small size like that, ýou lose the nail creases. That defeats the purpose. Only thing I can figure is maybe weld two shoes end to end and make it bigger. And I'm glad you got your stump done. You are getting closer

CGL. looks pretty great to me.. I knew it was Florida right off.. 

Just kidding I knew it was TX. 

using water and direct bending will get you the cleanest results.  

Draw your outline backwards.  then lay the bar on it and move the bar along the outline directly ontop. when you get to a sharp corner put a little mark there that you won't lose in the fire. then heat this area and cool off on either side of the mark and bend it in hand.  so on and so on for each bend.  this will be the least tooling intensive. 

Alternatively using a bending fork hardie, and scroll wrench will also do it. 

or you could use just a vise and hammer as 1/4" can be bent cold fairly easily..  

nice job for sure. 

Jennifer, you made chuckle out loud. I thought, geez, if it looks like Florida, I really did something wrong;) Thanks for the advice. I finally did employ water for some controlled bending. I forgot to mention that I also used a 1" piece of square tubing to true up the the straight parts of the panhandle. I don't have hardy tools yet, so I'm using what I got. I also remembered to mark a couple of bends later in the process. Most was kind of freehand as I was trying to figure out the process. Took way longer than I like to admit. But it was going to do what I wanted it to do no matter what! The bottom left is where I got way off and couldn't figure out how to get it back. I think I'll use up the rest of this 1/4" round for practice, then I'll go to heavier stock. Thank you for taking the time to help out

CGL, bending is also much easier with a torch. I bought an old OXY-Acetylene rig and set it up with propane instead of Acetylene. This makes bending of just about anything much more accurate since only a small section of material is being heated. I don't know what you have in the way of a torch, but it's something to keep in mind for down the road. One way or another, I use this torch on almost every project I do. 

15 minutes ago, Ted Ewert said:

I bought an old OXY-Acetylene rig and set it up with propane instead of Acetylene.

Just make sure everything in the system is rated for propane. Propane is highly corrosive and can eat the seals and hoses, with potentially explosive results. 

46 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Just make sure everything in the system is rated for propane. Propane is highly corrosive and can eat the seals and hoses, with potentially explosive results. 

Just what I was thinking when I saw that John. Propane is very chemically active and should never be used with equipment not rated for it.

3 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

if it looks like Florida, I really did something wrong

I'll say it'd be wrong!:o Seriously who on Earth would make an image of Florida and call it art? 

Just kidding all you Floridians out there. 

Not bad CGL bending takes practice and a couple old monkey wrenches. They are good for keeping the stock on either side of the bend straight. You can use small Dia tubing to keep it straight either side of the bend as well and bend over a pin. The tubing option runs out when you're making the second bend like the top of the panhandle, that's where the vise comes in handy.

Lots of ways to bend stock, keep trying till you find what works for you. 

Larger dia. stock would make a cool dinner bell, maybe a single star in the top of the panhandle would make a nice place for the hanger thong.

Frosty The Lucky.

If I made the state of Texas look like Florida, my Texan-hood would probably be revoked and I'd be run out on a rail;) I do have a map gas torch, but it's empty and I didn't want to go to town just for that. But it would be much easier than trying to get that thing to fit in the forge as I was bending it every which way but loose. Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. My husband suggested making Texas shaped dinner bells for the Christmas exchange for the family in Kansas. I bet they would just love that. 

You say that like it's a bad thing!---"If I made the state of Texas look like Florida, my Texan-hood would probably be revoked and I'd be run out on a rail" (Have I mentioned I was born at the U of AR and my first degree was from the U of AR and the kinfolk would gather with pitchforks and torches if I became a Tejano---why I was the only one at work living in New Mexico...) Would you get to keep the rail?

As for the dinner bells---well it would be better than Texas shaped branding irons!

Are you saying you have an early multi fuel regulator or you're just lucky? Check out some of the FatalGrams about explosions and fires resulting from propane run in unrated: lines, materials, fittings, appliances, etc. When I converted our Viking Rangetop to propane and couldn't get it to work properly, the appliance guy said I had to change out the gaskets too and showed me the spongy almost gooey ones that he replaced. Got the lecture and I already knew about not using propane with systems not rated for it. I just thought my Viking was without having to do so much to  make it so.

I run an oxy prop torch rig in my shop but it's designed from the regulator/meter to the tip to run propane. The two oxy acet rigs I picked up at auction are still buried somewhere in the Connex. The only thing I have against acet is the expense.

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought the florida comment was very funny.. I still do. 

CGL I think your Texasism is ok for many years to come..  No Revoking here. 

an AO torch is a great tool to have but also expensive in use. A propane fired one is a little less expensive. 

Just keep in mind larger cylinders for insurance purposes for Acetyline and O2 are usually required to be stored outside. 

The rules may have changed but for this reason the new shop will have gas storage outside the building. 

CGL, it looks like Texas....don't let 'em mess with you (or Texas)!

You don't need to heat a lot of 1/4" mild steel, you can bend it cold.  I made this wall hanger for a friend who rides.  The pattern is from their riding club logo on a ball cap.  Stock is 1/4" square, some heated to red, some bent cold.  Size is 12" x 24".

RR logo in steel no finish 01.JPG

RR logo on hat.jpg

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'll say it'd be wrong!:o Seriously who on Earth would make an image of Florida and call it art? 

Probably the mosquitoes... They sure do well in this environment. We've got 5 common unpleasant varieties, and some of them even fly away after you swat them. This time of the year, about half-a-dozen come in every time the door gets opened. 

I thought the Florida comment was funny too! My Texasism means a lot to me so I'm glad it'll stay intact haha. Thomas, my husband practically lived in Arkansas for a nearly a year due to his job. He loved it and said it was beautiful country. He sent me lots of pictures. 

Arkie, I like the wall hanger a lot. Horse and country living themed things are big around here. When it comes to marketable items, that's what I try to keep in mind. They are having the annual farmer's market Sept. 28th at Tractor Supply. I was thinking about if I could get enough stock, maybe setting up a booth? I'l really have to study on that. 

Billy, I'm surprised it came out as well as it did. I drew it out and took measurements, but I would just lay it on the drawing and eyeball the distance. I don't have anything convenient to draw on. I laid it out on the shop floor and nearly sweated it off. I'll have to figure out something better for that^_^