• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Too bad I didn't think of something like that 

You threw beer away!!:o How UNblacksmitherly. 

I don't drink much at all though enjoy a nice cream stout now and then. I am however partial to a single malt scotch and water. Mmmmm. No idea what to do with typical American "Love in a canoe" beer. . . <shudder>

Nice opener CGL if they sell I'd start making a couple few to start every session as warm ups. Before long you'll be able to turn them out quickly enough for good demo projects. 

Remember there is no higher form of compliment than having people asking to give you  money for your work.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've read about people using beer for a quenchant. I wonder what that smells like? Thank you Frosty. It takes me a minute to make the openers, but I am learning the process pretty quick. It's fun and it's really neat to have something like that in my hand that I made and functions the way it's supposed to

Few things are as good as using tools you made yourself. Have you tried different textures? I make wood grain with a yard sale ball pein I heated and hit LIGHTLY on my hardy a bunch of times. It leaves a nice positive wood grain texture. I sharpened up the pein a little for hammer marking and ID. I use different weight ball peins at the anvil all the time and grabbing the texturing hammer by mistake:blink: is . . . bothersome. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Of course and by good we mean marketable. Yes? You want as attractive a texture and finish as reasonably possible, whether it's you and Tommie or the buying public Attractive is the goal. Only knotheads want their products to look "primitive" and beat them up deliberately. 

Here's a thought for your consideration. Texturing hammers don't get hard use like a forging hammer so they don't need a regular hammer handle, they can be light and whippy. Seriously, how hard to you hit the work when you're hammer marking your openers?I picked up a couple broken hockey sticks at a local high school for light hammer handles. Being rectangular they index automatically in my hand so I don't have to think about striking with an edge.

With that in mind you can make all sorts of nice texturing hammers from stock you wouldn't think of hammer stock and put a light handle on them OR make a set of tongs with a keeper and make your texturing tools with a groove around the center that aligns them as you like with the tongs. 

Oooh gotta make more tools!! :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Someones personal house actually. They purchased several pieces of my work and asked later if I could make them faux shutters and gave me full artistic freedom and no two need to match. It's truely an honor and they loved this one. I have parts in the works for more themes. Got some in the works with spider web and a spider, an ocean theme, one with gears and roses and vines. I'll share as I get them completed or close. All of them will get sand blasted and flat black paint.