Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh xxxx, annoy the neighbors!!!

I didn't realize you were making a "hand clapper" type bell.  Thought you were making a wind-chime.  We've someone in our area that makes them and sells them through a local tree farm/nursery.  Really beautiful to hear several of those out in the woods.  I'd like to make some myelf.

Lol. Yeah. I'm actually not so much a fan of the tone. Tho it is loud. I much prefer wind chimes and have made several wind chime sets. I think if I had a bigger tank and could get a lower tone I might like it. Tho, Johns suggestion aint half bad. :lol:

Tune your bell by grinding a LITTLE at a time off the length.

Clyde the curator of Jurustic Park has welding tank bells and wind chimes all over the place. One of my favorite types are the winged critters hanging in the tree. The wings and tank balance on pivots where the hanger connects. There's a cord hanging so people can rig the bell, pulling the body down lifts the wings, rings the bell and swings up and down ringing a few times. A wind will also set them to ringing. 

He has more imaginative ways to make wind chimes chime than I know. 

If you ever get to Marshfield Wis. make a point of stopping in, you'll never forget the place or Clyde. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Been rummaging around in the scrap as usual and noticed (while looking for something else) that several things could be used as handles for fire pokers or billy lifters. People just seem to like things that are recycled. Surprisingly, they are all comfortable in the hand and balance well.

From the top (or left in pic 2)

Rail spike poker, Ford truck wheel stud poker, harrow point poker, tractor tow pin poker, brake pull from vintage truck poker, metter's fence tightener poker, swivel link poker, twist handle poker from a Holden jack handle, horse bit poker with ring, horse bit billy lifter with ring, horse bit poker, horse bit billy lifter, and just a couple o knot pokers.

Equestrian enthusiasts especially like anything made from stirrups, shoes, bits etc.

Fun stuff to do when you get bored making standard pokers!

recycle1.JPG

recycle3.JPG

Thanks Frosty. If I'm ever out that way I'll be sure to check it out. It's not that this really needs tuned, just that I'd like a lower pitch and with the size of the tank it can only go higher. 

Cool handles Aus. A regular old pair of pliers could work for a handle as well. 

Thanks, Das. Yes. pliers would work well. Nice symmetry.  I could see a whole set of fire tools with matching plier handles. Not enough hours in the day!

It's the height of our tourist season here at present … carpark full of Winnebagos , caravans and camper trailers. Over 100 visitors past the forge each day. Can't keep up the supply.

I expect you get the same Middle Age Mutant Whingeing Tourists we get in the north of W.A  Austfire

Daswulf, you cold also tune your bell by raising or lowering your clapper, much like a guitar or trombone slide, with a bell of that length, there is a tone for everyone, somewhere.

Have you thought about putting a vertical slit a few inches long starting at the bottom? I did that to a cymbal and it lowered and took some brightness out of the tone. A slit from the edge towards the middle maybe two inches long was all it took.

Pnut

8 hours ago, ausfire said:

Fun stuff to do when you get bored making standard pokers!

Here's an idea, using the same for handles, try for snake hooks. I've made some for friends and they loved them. They use them to relocate critters from areas where they aren't welcome, but don't want to kill em.

I make wind bells from the valve protectors from welding tanks; they seem to come through the scrapyard/fleamarket on a semi regular basis and when I can pick them up for US$3 or less I do.

I hang them from the Mesquite tree next to my shop. As each one has a different chain and wind catcher I can listen to them from my bed and know how strong the wind is.