• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been hung up on hooks and hangers lately. I made this plant hanger for a friend:

hiBZKB7.jpg

The leaves are a little too big. Flowers would have been a better choice at the end of the stems.

Here's a little rose hook I made:

QtMAJHy.jpg

Then I expanded on the concept a bit...

ozlwYeu.jpg

This is made from a piece of tropical hardwood I salvaged from my neighbors trash. I sanded it a bit and finished it with linseed oil. I though it might make a good plant shelf.

zOQCkz0.jpg

Cheers,

Ted

Thanks Chris! A lot of torch work on the twisty ones. They sort of take on a life of their own once I get started. The rose leafs turned out to be stainless, although a lower grade since they are magnetic. All the work on those was done cold and the material didn't seem particularly tough.

You just cut the leaves out, grind the shape and use a cold chisel to make the veins. I then beveled (sort of sharpened) the edges, held it tight in the vise, and used a knife and a small hammer to cut out the serrations. It's a little time consuming to do a lot of leaves, but it turns out pretty good for this type. The leaves I did on the other projects were done hot. 

On 7/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, JHCC said:

Are you saying that dents are only a problem if they’re in a row?

No.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:28 AM, Nobody Special said:

Perhaps rodents  aren't so much a problem, as he was just rabbit-ing on.

Rabbits;  long eared rats that have enough meat on them to be worth raising for food and fur. . . . Mmmmmm, HASENPFEFFER!

Frosty The Lucky.

Finally got some time in the shop. Farm projects and chores, housework and other obligations are kind of piling up. But finally got time to work on my anvil stand. My husband started it two days ago. I finally got to help today. I'm covered head to toe with black stuff and it's nice to feel like I'm doing something. Can't hardly wait to get it done so I can finally use my new anvil!

Head to toe black . . . STUFF(!?) :o I'm sure you understand the connotations of that statement coming from a farmer to a guy who so dearly loves a good straight line don't you? You're a mean person testing me so sorely.

I'll bet those house chores never got finished so fast. Try not to establish new expectations. eh? :ph34r:

Have you decided on a stand? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Heehee Frosty, you're right and I even knew that I left myself wide open on that one, duh:rolleyes: It was from angle iron dust and rust. I took a cup brush on an angle grinder to my leg vise also. Never cleaned it up since I had it other than the screw. So I thought, why not? Oiled it and wiped down and it's nice and shiny now. My chores can never get done fast enough... The stand is framed out with some black walnut he was saving for something nice. Angle iron "legs"  bolted on four sides. They'll come down far enough to stabilize it on the floor. Think we may weld some flat plate on the bottom of the legs parallel to the floor for more stability. It will be filled with sand for weight. Then we'll run a bead of caulk under the anvil. Hope this will help quiet the ring. Then tie down with chain or I'll forge some sort of hold downs across the feet. We are using what we have. I hope it works well and looks good. 

I couldn't come up with a plausible joke about tunneling in the compost or getting in a blackberry fight.

The sand makes a good damper to quiet anvils if there isn't too much wood between them. I'm glad you didn't say "looks good" before saying, "works well." Good priorities. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

CGL: Looking forward to you having that stand done so we can see your first project with the new anvil.

Meanwhile, in the UK, I have a fossil fan friend who wanted a paperweight. I was considering making a “rock” with a negative impression, but didn’t really have the stock (and it’s heavy enough already). Don’t really know how I would have gone about forging the negative either - anyone got any ideas?

E96B929A-9325-4D3A-8EE0-DF1A64F7A800.jpeg

That is a right cool paper weight, looks like a nautilus shell.

Not a blackberry fight but along those lines. When we were kids we would pick the small green apples of the tree and throw them at each other. Know how bad it stings getting it with a little green apple. One year papa wooped us good, he had planted peach trees and the first year they got fruit on them...yup, just like apples. We pick every little green peach off and hurled them at each other. 

4 hours ago, Neal the smith said:

CGL: Looking forward to you having that stand done so we can see your first project with the new anvil.

Meanwhile, in the UK, I have a fossil fan friend who wanted a paperweight. I was considering making a “rock” with a negative impression, but didn’t really have the stock (and it’s heavy enough already). Don’t really know how I would have gone about forging the negative either - anyone got any ideas?

You could take a piece of plate steel, a little larger around than the "shell" and heat it very hot, maybe just below welding heat.  Then use the "shell" in your picture to hammer the shape into the plate.

Used a sanding wheel on a dremel to make the grooves. Boiled linseed oil. After that dries, I will put some johnson's paste wax on it, let it set about 10 minutes and buff it off. I have terrific results with boiled linseed on red cedar as well. This is a chef knife I did with the linseed oil, I did take this one to 1000 grit I believe. 

20190608_073817-01.jpeg