• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Rojo Pedro here is the example of the full corner I was talking about. 

Here are a few examples I made today of what the corner is supposed to look like anytime it will be driven in with a hammer.. the outside corner needs to be in line with the point otherwise it will get all wonky when pounding it in. 

I filmed the making of them but not feeling very inspired right now. 

20190804_162632.jpg

On 8/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I'm making a handled cup holder for my wife. She has this 32 ounce cup that's hard to hold.

Finished up the cup holder yesterday, made out of 1/2 in round stock. Had a piece about a foot long of mystery steel that moved a lot like spring steel drawing it out. The circumference of the cup is 12 1/4 inches so I drew it to 14 inches to make the penny scroll. Had to put the bottom scroll to keep the cup from tipping over with the small base of the cup. It's comfortable to hold so I think she will like it. Had to wait for the clear coat to dry to take pictures.

100_2048.thumb.JPG.e3f87008fc75a33d7a0068cac69c9d93.JPG

100_2050.thumb.JPG.27a721f2e51d92d4dfbd2c30bfc3558a.JPG

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

And those who can't teach: administrate.

Is the complete adage.

Frosty The Lucky.

Youv'e got me  ! (But teaching is easy money after the hands on making a living from smithing/apprenticeship)

Today it is pretty decent money for sure if you have the right following..   

Think about what it was like 15-20 years ago..  The boon in the resurgence both with TV shows and Babyboomers retiring has changed the playing field for many.. 

I hope to get some of the pie.. :)   I like blueberry, Apple raisin and squash.. 

That old adage is rather cynical in it's entirety and I think aimed at large organizations, gvt, etc.

I don't have the eye hand to be very good at the anvil since the accident but I can still show folks what I know, so I do. The guys in the local club elected me president while I was in the bathroom and I did a lousy job. Told them I would but they wouldn't let me out of it. 

Do, teach? No sweat. Administrate?:angry: Nope, find someone else I refuse.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

Frosty, you have eyes in your hands?:D (just figured out these smiley things)

I always thought it was those who cant teach become journalists. 

Not really, though occasionally a scab on my hand looks sort of like that part of a potato.

I don't think that's right. Weren't old timey journalists nosy people who kept notes? I think modern journalists(?) are folks who couldn't do research to save their souls.

Oh yeah, the smileys are in the menu bar on top of the text window with a bunch of other coolB) stuff. A lot of which I have no idea how to use or for what.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice shelf Fowllife. 

Frosty, i was referring to these so called journalists of today.  An example 3 times i heard on the news about the Sunday shooting in El Paso. That was on Saturday. Cant even get the day right...

Anyway got an order for some meat skewers, so i made some. Of course had to try them out.

20190805_204033.thumb.jpg.c17e4903d815c04d4820f93516b41eae.jpg

Loves me some corn on the cob but my teeth aint so fond of it anymore, gonna be picken corn out for a week now. 

Thanks Guys

Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I was more thinking decorative instead of functional I guess. The bottom bar is only 3/16x1” so I wasn’t envisioning I lot of weight on it. I would have like to round out the rest of the hook after the twist and do a better taper, but time wasn’t on my side. 

Greetings, 

Just finished the bud vase. I enjoy taking a single piece of metal and forging it and see what evolves. A challenge indeed. With no interruptions or welds. 

Bud vase 1/4 x 3/4x12in

Candle holder  1/2 x1/2 x 24In

I did add one piece of copper for the drip pan. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

32AD6523-8B02-4C15-A6E6-A13E6C45F281.jpeg

880AAE14-2F49-42D9-B58D-515366464547.jpeg

D6A3D4A6-723F-4928-96B1-ABB8D222CC06.jpeg

6EB0DD90-3EBB-42A3-8D8E-2598ACC7BCDE.jpeg

A little cleaning in the shop getting ready for another load moving up from the South.  I'm on the other side of town from that Walmart; Funny I spent 6 years crossing into Mexico for work and it's the US side my wife should have been worrying about.  We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary yesterday; mainly  moving books and bookcases and then went out for dinner.

Dear Jim,

I really like the pieces but there is one thing that clangs a bit for me.  On the candle holder where the candle arm crosses the arm with the curl and the leaf/feather arm it seems to me that the twist should be more symmetrical.  That is, in the last photo the curl/leaf arm should be on the left side of the candle arm.  That said, I probably have a touch of symmetry OCD and asymmetry is a bit disturbing for me.  I find symmetry more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.  Others, obviously, will respond differently.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George,

You are oh so correct. I took some pieces to a demo last week and I think this one got a little squished. I’ll fix it shortly. I’ve made others more complicated. They all seem to end up differently. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

AA9E3684-C486-4F01-B76A-083D77890E47.jpeg

Jim, nice work on those holders. I am a little off myself so a little asemmitary dont bother me none. 

Alexander, That is a lot of work. It would take me 5 years to get it done. You got some elves or something working for you? I like the switches and light sockets, they look so much different than what we have here. 

Thomas, glad yall are safe. It is getting to be a dangerous world. I was just in Dayton's Oregon district the weekend before. We have a really cool Celtic festival every year. And of course Happy Anniversary.  

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Do you own a set fo the cups? 

Thanks... It took me about 3 hours to make it, taking breaks due to heat and dehydration.

Don't have a set of them, it's a Mossy Oak 32oz cup/mug (thermos) that Debi takes fly fishing with her.

20 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Of course had to try them out.

Great I wasn't hungry till now, think I'll make a smothered baked potato & BBQ for dinner tonight. My wife is off fishing in Iowa this week.