• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy needs one of my bull's head billy lifters. Much easier than using that fragile-looking gum stick. It's not really all that hard to swing a billy. We have a tour operator here called Billy Tea Tours, and they come by my forge regularly. The operator has some pretty flash billies made from stainless steel fire extinguishers. They last longer than the tin ones. Not sure what function the gum leaf has - I have made many many billy teas and never used a gum leaf. I think that's just to entertain city tourists. The smoky flavour from the fire is enough.

YouTube link removed

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, Daswulf said:

Cool handles Aus. A regular old pair of pliers could work for a handle as well. 

So which way did you see the handles facing, Das? I did one of each and both are comfortable to hold:

plier handles.JPG

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

So which way did you see the handles facing, Das? I did one of each and both are comfortable to hold:

Depends on where you are going to use them,both are goodlooking,  One to hang, and one to lay down, got to consider more than just comfort. (although the guys liking the cube twist handles' opinion may differ)

Das, those two old pliers were badly seized up. I might do another one with a pair that I can open and put the rod between the jaws.

And I know what John B means about cube twist handles - they are rough on the hands straight off the forge.  I give mine a really good hit with a flap disc so the cubes are more rounded. (I suppose they are then technically not cubes). Then back in the forge for some brass burnishing.

Cleaned up my vise and coated with some linseed oil. Found some markings on it  but I have no idea what they might mean, if anything. It’s also been welded I see. Oh well should give years of service still. Now to build the stand. 

B4C6D880-057B-4C1A-93A1-E19FA94B882D.jpeg

D794057C-6BF4-4DB0-A7DE-63564D93B182.jpeg

CB9C639F-C869-4B5A-BB4F-6DFCEC0F4C5F.jpeg

I have a friend who is salivating over having a coal forge.  Have tried to talk her into making a JBOD, but she is trying to buy my Uncle's old coal forge from someone who ended up with it after his death.  Been doing my best to get her to start working with hot metal.  So last night I made her a coal rake.  Never made one before, so not sure it's the right size, but I think it'll work.

p3540332809-3.jpg

p3540332822-3.jpg

p3540333171-3.jpg

Any comments about improving the product will be appreciated.

Thanks for the comments, Thomas.  The loop in the handle is for hanging and I hammer-softened the ribs in the handle area to smooth them out.  Asked several coal forge guys to check it out and they said the handle was smooth enough to not cause any discomfort.

Nice work JHCC..   "Now it will move".. 

CTC I like it..  I use the coal rake 90% of the time..  I like my handles so I can grip them very well..  The design on the facebook page just behind and or above, the fancy one is about my favorite offering great control, comfortable but not overly aggressive on the hands.. 

I enjoy seeing anyone's work.  Right now all I'm exposed to is basically bottle openers, steak flippers and Casey Cleveland working on some of his knives.  Casey is the one attending our Thursday night group who came in "second" on one of the Forged in Fire episodes.  Nice young man. 

I attended a Knife Making 101 class a few weeks back.  It was one of those "I'm sure he can make nice knifes, but he's no teacher" kind of event.  (That was just my biased personal opinion!  Others in the class seemed impressed.)

So far, I've not personally watched a skilled/gifted blacksmith make anything at the forge.  So I'm only exposed to videos such as you and others so graciously post on Youtube.

3 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

he can make nice knifes, but he's no teacher"

Have you been looking over my shoulder? I wish I could teach, but I'm afraid my short attention span gets in the way.:)

Right now I'm taking a break from the forge to cool off and drink some water with a Medi-Lyte pill. I'm making a handled cup holder for my wife. She has this 32 ounce cup that's hard to hold. It's not that hot but really muggy today and I'm sweating like it's 100°F out there.

I really hate being critical of teachers, but I was trained as one in college............and teach at our local Vo-Tech.  The old adage is "There are those who do and those who teach...........but seldom the two are combined in one person."  (or something to that effect)  There's a lot of truth in that.  If a teacher can't "grab" a students enthusiasm, he/she isn't a teacher................no matter how well they can do what they are intending to teach.  I've seen it too many times in my life.

I fully understand the "hot and muggy".  Thank the Lord it's overcast here in Central, OK today..............otherwise it would be unbearable.  Humidity at my place is in the high 80% because we live on a marsh to a city water supply lake.