• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can deffinately picture that. I keep wanting to make one of those cute jumping spiders. They often come out of cars I pull in to work on at the shop. I try to get pictures for inspiration when I can. This is a more recent one. It'd be a tough one to do it justice. 20190319_151659.thumb.jpg.4fa4943fc41750b08abe569a4f3313d1.jpg

Ben, I shall love him and hug him and call him George. 

Ah well, him and his home are gone from the shop now. Hope he's been well. :)

Hmm. John, I think I have a rocker arm that might work for the head shape. The fuzziness really is part of the cuteness. I'll see what happens. There might be some metal brushes that could work out nicely. 

I can see that, but fuzziness and made of metal? How do you resolve that without ending up with spikey, pokey? I was just focused on the eyes and that black line that looks like a mouth. So much expression there. Now if you could find some of those twisted wire, plastic bristle brushes - kind of like a narrow bottle brush or the little brush on the spark plug gapping tool for the legs.

1 hour ago, Ben Hoover said:

He's cute. Is his name George?

I think so too and they come out of a cars. Would that make then George Carling spiders?

Welding hairness on is an interesting problem. I wonder if you brought the spider to the temp a sharp wire probe wants to stick then toss it onto/into a magnetic surface or maybe piece of pipe covered in iron filings if they'd weld to it? 

The inside of a piece of magnetized pipe would keep filings standing on end in a more 3D area than a flat surface. The filings don't need to stay magnetic longer than touching the spider and welding on. Hmmm?

An induction forge would be De BOMB for this sort of thing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm thinking something with using metal bristle tube brushes. Probably wouldnt have to do too much to get the "look". 

Haha Frosty, you're getting over my pay grade with that idea.:wacko::lol: Sounds like (flocking)? That I've heard done in a way with fibers on mice or something for some show or something. (Was years ago I saw something about that.) Anyway, like John mentioned, don't want it too sharp or prickly. 

Of course it's a . . . good flocking idea for steel. The magnet holds the bits up on end and being really thin should weld almost instantly. A quick brush with a torch or through the forge should melt sharp ends into little balls. 

A wire brush would stick almost instantly too but I don't know how to cut the bristles. 

Hmmmm. I wonder if a static charge would hold organic bristles off a soft paint brush on end. If it does you could paint the bug with epoxy based paint and flock it by passing it close over a pan of bristles so they have to stand up to get stuck in the paint. I can see it but not sure if or how to make that work.

Maybe stick the fiber to something with static  and touch it to the sticky spider?

Hmmmm. This'll give me something to think about on the drive into Anchorage today. The RV needs it's spring de-winterizing and service.

Back in a few hours. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm sure if I went around the shop with a magnet I could get more than enough wire brush bristles to make one. :lol: let alone the ones I pick out of my clothing when I dont wear my welding jacket.  

On a side note, I've been told I'm very strange for saving the cat whiskers when I find them, in hopes of making a cat whisker paint brush. :rolleyes:

I forged something called a "CopperZap", my dad wanted one and asked me to make him one. It's supposed to help prevent colds by basically sticking it up your nose to kill bacteria since copper is anti-bacterial or something like that. They sell them online for like $70 plus shipping. I drifted my first hole in this project. The piece of copper had a slit in it for a screw so I figured I would try and make it so it could go on a key ring. I used my straight peen hammer like a top to to fuller in the finger piece. First time forging copper, was definitely fun. I want to use some of the copper I have to make some leaf key rings and necklace pendants as well. Would also like to get some nickel and try some makume gane stuff as well.

2019-04-09-3.thumb.jpg.9319d363e35ddbbf931c91be4e9bea5e.jpg