• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is quite the fly fisher and fly tier. She was out fishing today with her group and caught 10 Rainbow Trout (catch & release area). I played in the shop while she was away and came up with this. Made from all small pieces of scrap. The base is from a long forgotten project and is 7/16 inch thick plate with the hole already in it. The rod is rebar and 13 inches tall and the hook & earthworm from small pieces of round rod. I had initially intended for it to be a trade item at our next BOA meeting which was to be a critter of choice. I thought an earthworm is a critter. When Debi came home she saw it on the counter and said oh my gosh, I love it and it's mine, you can make something else. I guess I'll make a stupid dragon or snail.

100_2037.thumb.JPG.8f33fdccb3161d0ae725b981f3c96b74.JPG

Got a late start in the shop because of ICAR classes for work.

Going to get 4 roses done before the other 3. Shaping them is a bit of work and I actually prefer to just do 3 at a time. Then just need some cleanup on this spider. Wanted to see how these nails looked on this one before I committed to them for this ones sort of twin.

20190410_002707.thumb.jpg.e8103123626983e6c947778736fa04ee.jpg

20190410_000324.thumb.jpg.7e22c0d91ffdc4c34a30264a570fe9df.jpg

20190410_002517.thumb.jpg.01b666fb798a299ac52532dc0f64bd23.jpg

20190410_002541.jpg

20190410_002601.jpg

The inductor works well enough to bend the legs and smaller stuff. It really only gets things to a medium red heat. Overall it saves me a lot in torch gas for all the little critters I make, and is convenient, so for me it's been worth it. 

I finally got my new forge with ribbon burner operational, and this is the first project from it.  Having never tried to make a bottle opener, I decided to give it a whirl.  From left to right, the first prototype, second prototype and sorta-finished project.  The first prototype didn't go well because I messed up on punching the slot.  Didn't have a proper slot punch, so I improvised.  Bad idea.  Second prototype I modified the slitter I had used on the first one, but I still punched a sloppy slot.  Third one, I made a proper slot punch and managed to keep it pretty much in the same place to get the slot punched.  Now all I need to do is build a bunch more of them.

Bottle Openers.JPG

Since I don't have any bottles to open, it's anybody's guess.  The first one would only open a bottle by breaking it.  The second likely would open one with a little effort.  The third, I have no doubt will open bottles just fine.  It's going to our UPS driver today, so I'll have to ask him on his next trip if it works OK.

Thanks.

Very nicely forged twists there! The tabs on the openers look a little small, but I guess testing will decide that. I have often wondered what the advantage is in using a slot punch for bottle opener loops. I have done hundreds of these and always used an ordinary tapered round punch. After all, you want a round hole, use a round punch! Perhaps, using say 12mm square bar, you may save a small amount of metal by aligning a slot punch along the material, but I'm not sure it's a significant difference.  Just wonderin'.

In the shop today I made a couple of lifters for fishing out small objects that like to bury themselves in the forge charcoal. Things like key rings and small troll crosses etc. I also made some BLT wax according to directions given to me by Das. 50% beeswax, 25% turpentine, 25% boiled linseed oil. It cooled to the consistency of soft butter and is easy to apply with a brush. I used the mix on one of the lifters straight off the forge ( a dull, matt finish). I removed the scale from the other one before applying wax and I prefer that finish. Both finishes seem to repel water so we'll see how they last.  Here's a pic of the two lifters and the BLT. (My wife laughs at my BLT label - she says that means Beetroot, Lettuce and Tomato)

BLT.JPG

Thanks, Aus!  Being a bottle opener noob, I just went with somebody's instructions and hoped for the best.  The parent stock was 1/2" (12mm) square, and I beat it down to 1/4"  thick before punching.  The middle one's tab is virtually non-existent due to my boo-boo in punching the slot, but the third one has a nice robust tab that won't wear out on the first six pack.

Nice looking lifter-outers you got there.  I like the flat twist in the middle of a round bolt.