• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here’s the business card holder I made for Lisa for Christmas. The alto clef is because she’s a violist. 

0E1C78AD-809E-4CCC-A392-7864B514E02D.jpeg

D96E7D87-BD5D-46B8-A65F-E5595D1DE3F1.jpeg

(Things have been so crazy lately that I haven’t been able to fire up the forge, so this was all cold work and electrolytic etching.)

Torch only required if you change latitude, daylight savings only requires a little adjustment off true north (rotation of the whole thing) as I understand it.   I'm not far from the 45th parallel so setting that angle was prety easy. Should have added no welding of any kind involved in the making. 

Reeltree, that is about the neatest, compact guillotine I have seen. Are the pieces holding the dies sections of heavy gauge RHS tubing? And the steel into the hardy hole is solid or tubular? Neat welds and grey primer - really cool. More for the inspirations file.

20 hours ago, ausfire said:

...that is about the neatest, compact guillotine I have seen....  More for the inspirations file.

The guy from GS Tongs does one very similar and I always thought it was a pretty brilliant idea.  Simple enough that anyone could do it, even if it meant riveting instead of welding.

The lack of a "bottom" under the lower die really makes you smack your own noggin because you didn't think of it.  One of those brilliant little ideas that makes a whole lot of sense.  Why have a bottom plate when the anvil face is as good a bottom as anything you could whip together?!?!  :O

img20170906073655-1.jpg?1504734071

Yep, that's a neat job too. Why are the guides that hold the dies offset from the hardy piece? Wouldn't it be an easier weld to attach them directly to the inch by inch? I must be missing something there.

And yes, I can see that a bottom plate is redundant.

3 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Why are the guides that hold the dies offset from the hardy piece?

Honestly, I haven't been able to figure that part out.  Not having one in hand to examine, I wonder if it's for increased visibility as you're working the part.  With the jaws out from the stem, you can see where you're working from all four sides.

Then again, GS Tongs has a very unique perspective on things.  He might have done it just to do it and set his gear apart from the herd much like he did with his tool designs.