• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These will be half inch diameter rivets I want to use for an umbrella stand I'm working on for my mom. 

Still haven't made a successful rivet yet... But I've got a few tries in. I'll try again tomorrow and when I get something that looks more like a rivet I'll send some pics. 

It seems to work, I just am not hitting accurately enough in the center during the making of the rivet. I'm going to be using the fancy heading tool for only one side, as I want a flat rivet head on the inside of the stand. I don't know what video you're referring to though.

Finish-ground and handled the flatter:

2694FB6C-A9D0-4A3E-9F67-F35E015BBCC3.jpeg

And while I was at it, threw a handle onto a nice old cross-peen head I picked up on my rambles for $2.50. 

70AC70DA-E6C2-4836-A2CE-898ACCC5CECA.jpeg

(This is after grinding some nasty chips out of the edges of the face.)

Mudman, your welcome. and Thank you.. . There are a whole bunch of the videos and usually make about 5 a year or so..   Usually based on a forging problem someone is having and then make the "How to" video to address the problem.. 

The main ones are 2D   but also there are 3d or VR (virtual reality) for head gear.. 

There are so Many " regular videos with 100 different ones on basics..   I keep trying to find  Niche areas that might interest someone.. 

Not sure if my methodology or format is on the mark as the channel is moving at a snails pace.   But, I make videos i would like to watch so I guess that is the point.. 

Thanks again.. 

JHCC that is a nice, chunky flatter..  Face have a slight crown to it? 

I think I've almost mastered how to light up my forge to get a nice big fire through the whole firepot all at once and not start in the middle and have to work it to the sides. I had the best fire yet today. I also got some 3 foot sections of 1/2" round mild steel from Lowes since I was there the other day. I turned one into 1/2" square completely. Well, it's all right around 1/2". Give or take a 16th of an inch or so. I'm thinking about trying to turn it back into round tomorrow, cause I could definitely use the practice in hammer control. Every time I fire up the forge I can feel myself improving a little bit and it becomes more fun.

I'm so happy I've starting forging. I'm also thankful for finding this site. I've gotten more information and inspiration here than anywhere else. I aspire to be half as great as some of you guys.

Pr3ssure, practice is good. The more the better!

As for your steel stock, if you have a steel supplier anywhere close I strongly recommend that you get your steel from them. Their prices will be a fraction of those in the big box stores. Where I purchase mine, the 3/8" and larger sizes are mild steel and come in 20 ft lengths, and the 1/4" is cold rolled in 12 ft lengths.  Most shops will cut the stock in half for you free for easier transport.

Happy forging!

Yeah, I haven't gone to the supplier yet. I've been practicing with scrap for the most part. I've bought a few pieces from Lowes just when I've been there because I like the 3 foot sections and not needing tongs. I want to go to the supplier though when I get more.

Supplier will be an eye opener. I couldn't believe how much more steel I got for the same price my first time. Now, the only thing I occasionally buy from big box stores, is angle iron, if I only need a little bit of it. Even then, a steel supplier will have better deals, but you have to buy full lengths most of the time. 

If I recall correctly, for the price I paid on a 3 foot pieces from HD or Lowes, I picked up a 20' piece at a supplier for close to if not the same price. 

Yeah, I know I can get a 20' section for almost the same price as the 3' pieces at Lowes. I just haven't had a need to go buy steel since I've only been doing simple practice. I only ever got the stuff from Lowes because I was there getting other stuff and I figured I'd grab a piece or two. I figure for the $30 or so I've spent on 4 3 foot sections I could have got at least 40 feet of steel though. I am probably going to go to the supplier when I go buy a truck load of coal though. I've just gotta find a friend that'll take me in their truck to get it or wait until my dad comes in with his truck. I've only used about 6 bags worth of 45 lb anthracite at $6 a bag though. So I'm not feeling it super necessary at the moment until I start forging everyday. Especially since I just mastered how to light the anthracite.

I've wanted to build some hinges for a while, so once the Xmas rush was over I gave it a shot. Rolling the barrels was a challenge, but fun. The next pair will always be better but at least they work. I painted them both semi-gloss black although the glare in the picture makes the closest one seem lighter.

L9yCkCM.jpg

Beautifully forged hinges there, Ted.

We haven't seen any business card holders on here for a while. I made these two over the last couple of days. Had a new idea for the base instead of folding a lip on a piece of flat steel as I've done before. The bases on these are the eye ends of motor leaf springs. The curl of the eye holds the cards snuggly in place.  Texas longhorn designs are popular here. Some I burnish and others I leave bright. Don't look closely at the welding - I do not profess to be a welder. The longhorns are forged from 8mm x 19mm mild bar.

bull holders1.JPG

bull holders2.JPG